CLS320 Heavy Steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin 320cls

Car
merc 320cls
Hi,:dk: have stiff/heavy steering on my 320cls (hydraulic steering). when engine switched off but ignition still on it is impossible to turn the steering wheel.

Is this normal as I thought I would be able to turn wheel albeit very heavy??

All comments gratefully received !!

Merc 320cls stiff steering/unable to move s/wheel with engine off

Any comments PSE!

That is normal. Mine does the same with just ignition on and engine not running.

Thanks AMgeed...are you saying you cannot turn the steering wheel at all with engine off??

Thanks AMgeed...are you saying you cannot turn the steering wheel at all with engine off??

No. Steering lock is released but the wheel doesn't turn. I wouldn't force it anyway. I tried mine earlier today.

Start the engine and the wheel will turn with one finger. PAS is a wonderful thing:D

Last edited:
Thanks again AMgeeed...I wish mine would turn with one finger with engine running...its really stiff.

Do you have electric steering by any chance?

Hi,:dk: have stiff/heavy steering on my 320cls (hydraulic steering). when engine switched off but ignition still on it is impossible to turn the steering wheel.

Is this normal as I thought I would be able to turn wheel albeit very heavy??

All comments gratefully received !!

Thanks again AMgeeed...I wish mine would turn with one finger with engine running...its really stiff.

Do you have electric steering by any chance?

You start by complaining about stiff steering with the engine off (which is perfectly normal as you have the resistance of the tyres and rack etc without hydraulic assistance) but then say it is really stiff with the engine running.

Just for clarity: When driving do you perceive the effort to steer the car as high or does it feel OK?

I assume you have checked your tyre pressures and also checked for any signs of steering misalignment?

Yes tyre pressures all OK steering is very heavy with engine running and car mobile

Checked all front bushes all OK steering fluid full what else??

Your parameter steering may have failed...if it was fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom