CLS320 (W219) - Good Daily Car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
As some of you know, I have a 2007 CLS63 but my day to day car is a W211 E320 CDI.

The CLS is a keeper, it's a very mint very low mileage example and I'd like to keep it that way. Now the E is actually in great condition, has 111k on the clock now and serves me extremely well.

I use the E as a motorway mile muncher, I pick up my daughter in it which is a 260 miles round trip and I can't fault to for cruising, plus it's got plenty of go in it.

But I still hanker for a change, I did consider aiming for an S-Class (W221) as they look great, comfort has got to be up there with the best and £12k can get you a under average mile example. Thing is I'm wary of insane service/repair costs.

So I've been eyeing up the CLS320 diesel, they have the newer 3.0 V6 diesel which is a bit more powerful but still return decent MPG. Also, the prices are incredible for such a nice car, £7k gets an example with a lot less miles than my E Class. Plus, well they are a CLS and look fantastic.

I'm happy with it being a four seater car, I don't carry more than that but is there anything to be aware of with this engine and/or model in general?

I had one as a daily after my cls55 and it was great. I would only have one with air suspension personally but that's just me.

Turbo manifolds can be a pain as they are made of two pieces and can separate inside the manifold and go into the turbo. I had this happen but not in the cls. (Same engine in a different car)

Other than that it's a really good car, I much preferred it with the 19" wheels on too.

What does the cheapest W221 on the MB dealer used site look like?

Gives you 12 months (warranty) to check if it's a good one.

Thanks both.

I'd like one to match the spec in my E, so memory seats and air suspension ideally. Also I agree the 19" rims are the right look but I'm bot too worried as there are 17" styles that look decent enough.

I'll have have a look at the MB site for what's about. There are plenty around for £6-7k which don't have sky high mileage.

They are great daisy driver, but would you not get bored of having the such a similar car ?

Well that had crossed my mind. Although I have owned two of the same cars one of which I used daily and I still own the other.

Not sure I would get bored of that V8 in the 63, also it's like new in most respects so if be happy driving a more well used example day to day.

I was looking at something like this though -

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604263358847

I don't mind buying from an independent garage. Would give me 6 months piece of mind at least.

Alex, the V6 is more powerful and smoother but, it ain't nowhere near as bombproof as your Il6. The 7g box is made of mush compared to the 5g in yours. I just spent £2k on our C320 cdi box at only 72k on the clock and our cars are over maintained.

I had a 211 with 166k on the clock when I sold it and apart from the glycol issue which needed its waterworks sorted ,routine servicing is all it ever needed. I get that you want to update it but, if it's just a motorway cruiser, it don't get much better than what you've got. Plus the 211 is actually more refined than the CLS.

If it's in the right colour I think the 211 is about the best looking car on the road for the money.

Alex, the V6 is more powerful and smoother but, it ain't nowhere near as bombproof as your Il6.

Plus the 211 is actually more refined than the CLS.

See this is where head should rule over heart as the E really is absolutely solid. Clearly from your first hand experience it is more reliable overall.

I don't actually find the 5 speed/Il6 to be too clunky, I mean it's not as smooth as the 7 speed in my CLS or the other half's SL350 but it's not terrible.

Interested to see the CLS is not as refined as the E. Is that in terms of space, ride comfort etc?

If it's in the right colour I think the 211 is about the best looking car on the road for the money.

This is where my heart lies, even the non-AMG models stand out as something that looks a bit special.

See this is where head should rule over heart as the E really is absolutely solid. Clearly from your first hand experience it is more reliable overall.

I don't actually find the 5 speed/Il6 to be too clunky, I mean it's not as smooth as the 7 speed in my CLS or the other half's SL350 but it's not terrible.

Interested to see the CLS is not as refined as the E. Is that in terms of space, ride comfort etc?

This is where my heart lies, even the non-AMG models stand out as something that looks a bit special.
Alex my friend had the 219 CLS 320cdi and tbh , I find the 211 quieter on the motorway because it doesn't have the frameless windows. But, the V6 is much quieter around town. The 211 is bigger and I maintain it rides better as it's not as stiff as the 219.
Again, someone will have the complete opposite of my thoughts.

Alex my friend had the 219 CLS 320cdi and tbh , I find the 211 quieter on the motorway because it doesn't have the frameless windows. But, the V6 is much quieter around town. The 211 is bigger and I maintain it rides better as it's not as stiff as the 219.
Again, someone will have the complete opposite of my thoughts.

It's all useful mate so thank you for replying.

I know the CLS boot is smaller than the E but that's not so much of an issue other than the family holiday in the UK which ends up with a fully loaded boot.

It's all good food for thought. As I had been considering alternative wheels for the W211 and a re-map....:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom