CLS500 Poly V Belt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JeffT

Car
2005 CLS500
Hi - trying to identify whining/whistling noise from front of engine so was planning to remove belt and spin the various pulley's - see if any are noisy or sounding rough. What is correct procedure? Would imagine either idler pulley or tensioner but need advice.
Mucho appreciated :thumb:

I had the same issue with my old Saab and removed the serpentine belt and ran the engine briefly to rule out the internal mechanics of the engine that was making the rumbling noise , which it did.

I then checked the various pulleys / idlers / tensioners for lift and rough running which never really highlighted anything so I refitted the belt and ran the engine and went round each potential source of the noise, one at a time, with a can of WD40 and its attached straw for easier access. As soon as I sprayed it into the race of a particular pulley the noise disappeared so I ordered the pulley and scheduled an hour to fit it when it arrived - sorted.

Kenny

I had the same issue with my old Saab and removed the serpentine belt and ran the engine briefly to rule out the internal mechanics of the engine that was making the rumbling noise , which it did.

I then checked the various pulleys / idlers / tensioners for lift and rough running which never really highlighted anything so I refitted the belt and ran the engine and went round each potential source of the noise, one at a time, with a can of WD40 and its attached straw for easier access. As soon as I sprayed it into the race of a particular pulley the noise disappeared so I ordered the pulley and scheduled an hour to fit it when it arrived - sorted.

Kenny

Yep same as above for me too, mine turned out to be the tensioner. I ordered a Gates one online which was much cheaper then from mercedes but exactly the same make

I had a similar issue, purchased a new belt from mercedes, replaced it, not a squeak now!

**even though the one I removed still looked good no cracks etc, I put it down the the belt being glazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom