CLS55 Losing Power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karozza

Car
SL55 AMG/C180 K
So, I have a friend with a 2006 that keeps losing power when warm & STAR states "intake air temperature too high" & suggests to replace the electric Intercooler water pump. This has been replaced with a brand new one but the problem remains

With the engine cold or just starting to warm, it is as ferocious as any 55 AMG should be. But as soon as it reaches normal running temp, the ECU shuts down the power!

The only other fault at present with the car is the outside temperature sensor which is reading -40'C. Now waiting for a new sensor.

Could this affect the performance??

Any suggestion maybe we can save this??

Have you checked the IAT figures? what temp does it read? if its anywhere near 80degree then supercharger shuts down.

Have you checked the fuses in the rear SAM?

The coolant circulation pump can blow the fuse when it fails. I've seen people caught out by this before.

gazz said:
Have you checked the fuses in the rear SAM? The coolant circulation pump can blow the fuse when it fails. I've seen people caught out by this before.

Yes, fuses checked.

Amo said:
Have you checked the IAT figures? what temp does it read? if its anywhere near 80degree then supercharger shuts down.
Yes, above 70 degrees it shuts down.

Attachments

• image-3961791828.jpg
    image-3961791828.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image-315454829.jpg
    image-315454829.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image-2044862892.jpg
    image-2044862892.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
Doesn't sound like the new pump is working, or you have air in the system.

AMGeed said:
Doesn't sound like the new pump is working, or you have air in the system.

That's what I'm thinking, so now will try to find a way to bleed the system...

We have checked again & there appears to be no air blocks as well as the pump seems thoroughly primed.

The only obstacle we can think of is, as the car was recently imported from the UK, maybe the previous owner had tuned the car so the heat exchanger is not sufficient; could this be the culprit!?

check what mods were done. CLS have enough space for much larger exchanger so get that done. also look at split cooling. I beleive the car IAT should be around 40 for it to perform optimum level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom