CLS63 2008 won't start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fivehunnit

Car
CLS63 AMG (W219)
Just wondering if anyone on here can help, I've got a CLS63 2008, always run fine, yesterday I came out to start it and it wouldn't turn over, a very slight split-second attempt at turning the stater was heard, then nothing, not even clicks from the motor, maybe a very quiet whirr when trying to start but I'm not sure if this is the starter or something else, it's very quiet if so. Everything on the ignition panel lights up but the starter doesn't turn, the lights don't dim when attempting to crank either (would this suggest the motor is not even attempting to turn?) car is in park, battery has been jumped several times and reads at 14 volts and above.
The starter had been making a click/clank sound when starting lately, especially when a warm start, I'm wondering if this could have finally gone? I've checked the fuse for it which looks fine, any ideas? Anyone had a stater go out on one of these?
I can't even see where the starter is :/ is it an enormous job of it's the starter?
The problem is also, it can't be driven onto a tow truck to a garage either and is on my gravel drive. Any help would be appreciated.

I would think most tow trucks have a winch and ramps to pull the car onto the flat bed.

Possibly a broken engine earth? However if the starter has been making untoward noises recently it my be the stater itself.
Any decent garage or auto electrician will be able to diagnose it properly, I really wouldnt advise a DIY stater replacement on one of these, I've only ever changed one on a 6.2 and it was a nasty job (I presume that's which engine you have). the starter is tucked under the left exhaust manifold on theses normally.

Yes the 6.2, I mean it was absolutely fine when I shut it off for the day, could it be something ridiculous? Odd that everything was fine one minute and dead the next.

It's a petrol engine, don't stress it, just put it in neutral, and anyone can tow it anywhere. There's nothing special about it once it's in N...

Yes the 6.2, I mean it was absolutely fine when I shut it off for the day, could it be something ridiculous? Odd that everything was fine one minute and dead the next.
Frustrating, but that's what happens when it breaks, and it sounds like there may have been warning signs with the noise you heard. Unless you have hone recovery cover, perhaps call out a mobile auto electrician or mechanic before calling for a tow truck.

It's a petrol engine, don't stress it, just put it in neutral, and anyone can tow it anywhere. There's nothing special about it once it's in N...

I’m sure there is a speed limit or distance limitation when towing an automatic, well I’m sure there was nearly 40 years ago when I was a mechanic [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Less than 10 miles at max Speed 30 IIRC.

AA towed me last year when a hose went. turning your car without power steering is always an eye opener.

They normally tow autos backwards don’t they? So the drivetrain isn’t getting moved at all? It’s lifted onto the stands.

Thanks for all the replies, I will update with what happens, is there a possibility that it's something big or difficult to diagnose? I had my old car in at an Indy for a week over what turned out to be a MAF sensor, they were going down the road of new ECU before they managed to sort it.

They will send out a flat bed recovery truck for autos. At least they did in my case.

I will update with what happens, is there a possibility that it's something big or difficult to diagnose?
Get it plugged into Star/Xentry and get the codes read.

Someone suggested somewhere else that it's a possibility that it may be hydrolocked due to coolant sat in the top end preventing the pistons from moving, I've had updated head bolts last year and never lost any coolant though?

Someone suggested somewhere else that it's a possibility that it may be hydrolocked due to coolant sat in the top end preventing the pistons from moving, I've had updated head bolts last year and never lost any coolant though?

99 times out of 100 its the obvious solution that applies! Don't start with the million to 1 obscure solutions! (Although million to one shots come up 9 times out of 10 according to Douglas Adams!).
By your own admission, its not attempting to turn over and the lights aren't dimming. Its most likely to be in the starting system. Starter or starter relay if one exists, or associated wiring/switches. May be as simple as a high resistance connection, or more complicated like a worn starter. Should be easy for a mechanic to diagnose once he's dragged it away. Of course, fixing it may then take time due to the guaranteed obscure positioning of the offending item.

99 times out of 100 its the obvious solution that applies! Don't start with the million to 1 obscure solutions! (Although million to one shots come up 9 times out of 10 according to Douglas Adams!).
By your own admission, its not attempting to turn over and the lights aren't dimming. Its most likely to be in the starting system. Starter or starter relay if one exists, or associated wiring/switches. May be as simple as a high resistance connection, or more complicated like a worn starter. Should be easy for a mechanic to diagnose once he's dragged it away. Of course, fixing it may then take time due to the guaranteed obscure positioning of the offending item.
Thanks, my next thought was the relay, I just turned the crank with a socket and no resistance there.

I would still go for post #12 although you can self test the starter relay

People elsewhere are asking if there's also a starter battery as well as the main one in the boot? If so where is it? How do I attempt to charge it?

Update: fixed, I managed to get underneath it today with a trolley jack and axle stands, much squeezing and such. Upon removing the undertrays, I located the starter and discovered the nut to a small wire on the starter was slightly loose, soon as I tightened it with a 10mm socket and turned the key, she roared into life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom