Comand 2.0 + SAP v3 BT module contact transfer issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350_Coupe

Car
2005 C350 Coupe SE
Afternoon Guys,

I've recently switched my phone from a Samsung Galaxy s3 on the Three network, to a Samsung Galaxy s6 on the EE network.

I had been using the MB HFP Adapter, because Three does not support SAP, but EE does, so it gave me the chance to switch back to my MB SAP v3 adapter which i had previously been happy with.

After much head scratching, and memory searching, i finally remembered how to get it connected and authorised using the 16 digit pin code, and then the sim pin code entered to the comand unit, and access authorised on the phone, and it now seems to work great....

with one small problem, it won't seem to transfer the phone book/contacts, neither automatically, nor manually, and yes, when prompted int he phone i did set it to allow, it's like it's downloading a blank contact list

I will be emailing Richard over at ComandOnline, as he's the only one i know of with a lot of info on these, and hopefully he will have an answer or some advice, but figured i can't be the only one to have encountered this problem, so thought i'd ask here as well.

Here's all the details i can think of that might be relevant....

Car: 2005 C350 Coupe (203)
Comand: NTG 2.0 with option 386 - MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS)
SAP BT Module: v3 (original firmware)
SIM CARD: EE
Phone: Samsung Galaxy s6 (SM-G920F) SAP and Contact List access enabled for Paired MB telephone system (call audio disabled, but it seems to work just fine)
SIM has PIN Protection Enabled and PIN Entered/Accepted in Comand (calls possible using the system)

so, anyone have any ideas ? all help appreciated, thanks

I never got SAP to work so bought an MB2 (and that's what I've used since). - Maybe the issue is that mine is a dual-SIM phone (so both EE and 3)?

that's likely to be part of the problem yes, because it will struggle to know which to access for the phone, and, Three does not support SAP at all as far as i know.

ok, so i had a brain wave, and looked at the phone storage setup, contacts can be stored on device (primary) then samsung account, or google account, or sim card, the only way to get them to the sim card is to export them.

So, i went through my contacts and transferred 150 (max for the sim card) and then tried connecting to the car and downloading them

the theory being, it's a Sim Access Protocol adapter, so it'd make sense if the contacts it downloads have to be on the SIM card.... nice theory, but still no joy :(

Well, you've just done what I was going to suggest. I don't have a SAP manual to hand - it would be worth checking whether you have to type something in to make it transfer the contacts

Are you running the android-rsap app ?

Richard

ah, dam... i was hoping you'd have something i haven't thought of!! Have to admit, i did think that might be the ticket, but apparently not.

I've tried 2 other things this morning:
1. Set contacts to share as individual files rather than one vcf file.
2. "Starred" a couple of contacts in the phone, to see if it only downloads "tagged" entries

Neither of these had any affect, and i didn't make both changes at the same time.
Entries on the sim card, whilst being limited to 150, are also limiting to one number, but, i know form past use, that the SAP adapters can cope with at least 2 numbers per entry, and on selecting dial, it asks which one to call.

I'm slowly but surely running out of ideas here, the last one i can think of, is the PIN code lock on the SIM Card affecting contacts access, but, after entering the 16 digit code into the phone, the COMAND system then asked for the SIM PIN, and when i had given it that, it did the usual disconnect/reconnect/activation of the phone service in COMAND, and has since been fine, connecting when i go to the car, and not requiring the PIN again between sessions (which had been suggested it might need as it was a SIM card protection PIN)

Edit:
Sorry, meant to add, when i speak of manual attempt to transfer/download, i'm dialing "0000" and hitting send/ok or the phone pickup button.
edit2:
No, no rsap app, as far as i know, it;'s not needed now because android supports RSAP natively, also, that needed root access, and my phone is not rooted.

Last edited:
Tried transferring a file from my PC to the phone via BT today, and it kept failing until i had rebooted the phone, then it worked fine, and it made me wonder if i needed to restart the phone after having created the new BT connection before the phone book would transfer..... nope, didn't help unfortunately

Been looking at something to replace the BPAP in the phone, via an app, and the developers page states that the v3 SAP module does have issues with phonebook transfer, so i may grab their trial app to see if that fixes it, but before i do, i think i'll get my v2 adapter back from my mate who borrowed it, and see if that one works!

ok, so.... this is a SAP v3 issue, as the v2 SAP Adapter works perfectly, although i think (confirmed) it only transfers SIM based contact details.

So it looks like you'd need to try the rsap phonebook transfer thing if you want to use the v3 adapter

Bluetooth Phonebook

it does appear to have some advantages if your looking to use it, but try the trial first, as you have to pay for the main app, and also i think there are some quirks to it's use, but it may fix the transfer issue, as well as letting you pick which profile (sim or phone) to get your contacts from.

For me, i think i am going to switch back to the HFC puck, for a couple of reasons

1. even though contact transfer is faster initially by SAP, it's limited
2. only one number per contact transferred on v2 SAP adapter, i'm sure in the past i've had multiple and the option to choose which to call (maybe v3 adapter)
3. Text pickup in the phone is nice, but then the messages aren't on the phone for later review
4. and this is the clincher for me, when in remote sim access mode, i loose access to navigation apps on the phone. (yes i'm blonde and get lost easily, plus the COMAND NTG2 sucks!)
5. Also, the newer phones may have better connection abilities such as 4G whereas the car equipment does not, and relies on the older protocols.

ok, so.... this is a SAP v3 issue, as the v2 SAP Adapter works perfectly, although i think (confirmed) it only transfers SIM based contact details.

So it looks like you'd need to try the rsap phonebook transfer thing if you want to use the v3 adapter

Bluetooth Phonebook

it does appear to have some advantages if your looking to use it, but try the trial first, as you have to pay for the main app, and also i think there are some quirks to it's use, but it may fix the transfer issue, as well as letting you pick which profile (sim or phone) to get your contacts from.

For me, i think i am going to switch back to the HFC puck, for a couple of reasons

1. even though contact transfer is faster initially by SAP, it's limited
2. only one number per contact transferred on v2 SAP adapter, i'm sure in the past i've had multiple and the option to choose which to call (maybe v3 adapter)
3. Text pickup in the phone is nice, but then the messages aren't on the phone for later review
4. and this is the clincher for me, when in remote sim access mode, i loose access to navigation apps on the phone. (yes i'm blonde and get lost easily, plus the COMAND NTG2 sucks!)
5. Also, the newer phones may have better connection abilities such as 4G whereas the car equipment does not, and relies on the older protocols.

The above cannot be completely correct. I have no experience about the V3 adapter and it is a long time ago that I was using the V2 adapter but mine certainly did transfer contacts from my phone, not only the SIM card (cannot remember which phone I was using, could have been a Lumia if not older).

Also I'm pretty sure I got more than one number per name. Don't know if there are different V2 adapters or if the behaviour depends on the connected phone.

The text message issue is unfortunate. Then again, if I remember right, you can find the message from the SIM card (on the phone). It is just that not all phones automatically list SMS messages from the SIM and from the phone memory simultaneously. Not perfect but messages may not be completely lost after you leave the car.

Indeed clumsy when phones more or less turn off their user interface during the remote SIM access mode. It should appear like flight mode or something similar. Then again, if your NTG2 had updated maps, I would not consider any new cell phone for navigation (quite a personal view of course).

Note that I'm not claiming BT SAP being better than BT HF, or vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom