Comand music storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan2014

Hi can anyone help I've loaded some music onto my 2011 comand system in my c220 and was wondering how I can get it to stop selecting random tracks of different albums I want to select the albums one at a time but it won't let me do this??? Any ideas all help would be really appreciated thanks

Last edited:
There is a normal and random setting for playing the music on the H/D. I beleive you go to music register highlight it and then it should show a tick beside the random playback, Just click the normal track sequence and all will be fine.

It is on the normal play mode what I think it's doing rather than going from tracks say 1 to 2 and so on it's picking the first song from the first album and the 2nd song from the second album and so on
It's driving me mad :-(

Hi can anyone help I've loaded some music onto my 2011 comand system in my c220 and was wondering how I can get it to stop selecting random tracks of different albums I want to select the albums one at a time but it won't let me do this??? Any ideas all help would be really appreciated thanks

It's an idea .... but I would never use it.

Its driving me mad as well. Not sure if this is the same issue (2014 E Class Command) but mine is playing all tracks from all albums alphabetically. There must be a way to get the thing to play all tracks from one album in the order in which they appear in on the CD cover.

Its driving me mad as well. Not sure if this is the same issue (2014 E Class Command) but mine is playing all tracks from all albums alphabetically. There must be a way to get the thing to play all tracks from one album in the order in which they appear in on the CD cover.

I believe that you are heading toward iPOD territory or more folders

Yes is it an apple issue? It does the same if I Bluetooth music from my iphone and I've tried downloading music from my iPod to the hd drive both with the same results! :-(

From what I have read on the subject (my son had a similar problem) I think it is to do with comand. I don't know how we sorted my son's but both mine and my wife's comand work fine, playing the tracks in order.

Just a thought, have you tried putting the albums into playlists before transferring to the iPod and then to Comand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJVJp0xWAg

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for the advice. What I did was to select a playlist in itunes (a single complete album) and to burn an MP3 version onto CD. Then I used Command to rip the CD to the Hard Disk Music Register. I have only just got the car and have the grand total of 2 albums on the Music Register. Command now just ignores the fact I have 2 albums and plays the tracks from both alphabetically. I am struggling to understand why this is the default functionality. I have had a few cars with HDDs and never had this problem

Does COMAND show the two albums in separate folders, or all the tracks in just one?

I must admit that as I've never had this problem with COMAND I've not bothered to look too hard at how it requires the MP3's to be indexed or organised. I'm not sure whether COMAND uses the ID3 tags in the files or if it uses the file names and folded structure, but I suspect the former.

It would be interesting to inspect the ID3 tags on the files you burned from iTunes - a product which has a reputation for doing things it's own way rather than following standards - to see if that's the issue. The fact that you seem to be having similar issues when playing from your iPhone through COMAND (mine works fine, FWIW) would suggest that it's some sort of ID3 tagging issue.

Thanks for all the comments people!
still not got my head round it I think it's the way I'm putting the music onto the iPod? Will have another go over the weekend as to the last comment I think is correct as the music as gone in as albums but is listed in a different order ie the tracks our listed in alphabetical order on the comand system some how??

There will be a setting in COMAND to remedy this, after all COMAND is controlling the ipod and not vice versa. Mine works okay and there are 25,000 songs on my ipod, artwork's still hit and miss though.

Don't know about the ipod, but on USB and SDCARD it can manage to play the tracks in order, I often listen to audio books.

There is a random setting, and typically it is a little confusing, when it says random media, it means random on that medium, random is random within a folder. There is no random song off any disk setting.

OK, I've just carried out a couple of experiments with a few MP3 tracks on an SD Card to see what data COMAND uses.

First thing to say is that if you just bung in a card or a disc, my assumption that COMAND used the ID3 tags was incorrect: it ignores them completely and uses the MP3 filenames and the file system's Folder structure and names to segregate the files into albums.

However, if you then use the search function to (for example) look for an album by name, you will receive a message:

Track Information is incomplete.
Do you want the data
to be read in completely?​
If you respond "Yes" to this, then COMAND does read the ID3 tags and it builds an index of the albums, artists and tracks from the tags.

Subsequently, if you search for an album by name then COMAND will find the album for you and display the tracks in their normal order (assuming that the ID3 tags are correct).

So in summary, if you want to navigate by the folders then the folder structure needs to be correct, i.e. Artist\Album, and the files themselves need to be named so that they sort into the track order expected. This normally means that the file names must include the track number at the front (use a 2-digit number, i.e. 01, 02, ... 11, 12 otherwise the tracks will sort 1, 11, 12, 2, 3, etc.). If you want to navigate by the Search function, then the ID3 tags need to be correct and they need to have been read in by COMAND first.

If you're burning an MP3 CD from iTunes then this Apple Knowledgebase article is worth reading.

Last edited:
That's what I take to be the same process when you've got problems with album art. In that instance if you choose to search by album cover it will pull the album art and send it to the HDD and then in future it will look there for the artwork first.

You're correct regarding the album artwork.

However, there are also some quirks. It seems that COMAND builds a database of album artwork indexed on a concatenation of album name and artist name. This tends to go awry when there are tracks on the album with guest artists, or with compilation albums where there are multiple artists. Both situations result in the album being listed multiple times, once for each album/artist combination.

Frankly, this is a bit rubbish but it does explain one of the reasons why people experience problems with album art on COMAND.

st13phil said:
OK, I've just carried out a couple of experiments with a few MP3 tracks on an SD Card to see what data COMAND uses. First thing to say is that if you just bung in a card or a disc, my assumption that COMAND used the ID3 tags was incorrect: it ignores them completely and uses the MP3 filenames and the file system's Folder structure and names to segregate the files into albums. However, if you then use the search function to (for example) look for an album by name, you will receive a message: If you respond "Yes" to this, then COMAND does read the ID3 tags and it builds an index of the albums, artists and tracks from the tags. Subsequently, if you search for an album by name then COMAND will find the album for you and display the tracks in their normal order (assuming that the ID3 tags are correct). So in summary, if you want to navigate by the folders then the folder structure needs to be correct, i.e. Artist\Album, and the files themselves need to be named so that they sort into the track order expected. This normally means that the file names must include the track number at the front (use a 2-digit number, i.e. 01, 02, ... 11, 12 otherwise the tracks will sort 1, 11, 12, 2, 3, etc.). If you want to navigate by the Search function, then the ID3 tags need to be correct and they need to have been read in by COMAND first. If you're burning an MP3 CD from iTunes then this Apple Knowledgebase article is worth reading.

Thanks for your time in looking into this for me it's much appreciated! Your correct in what your saying that is exactly what is happing! But I'm not technically minded to understand how to correct it! So seen as I've just bought the car I've took it down to mercedes and the salesmen had a quick look and he as said it may need up dating and so to book it in and they will have a look so fingers crossed it will be sorted soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom