Comand questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
On My New wagon (2007 Vito Sport X 204 ) I have command but no user manual so touching and feeling my way round it , in the absence of a manual I have a couple of questions
Heres the Installation below questions so far
Satnav wants the Disc in to work, so when the Disc is in how do I play a CD ?
How do you manually tune ( temp music streaming solution is via an Bluetooth FM Transmitter ) so currently did this on scan and it took ages
What version of Comand have I got ?
Easiest source for a user manual ?
in fact expanding that could do with a user manual for the whole van .
Thanks
Boyd
824C1F24-D8D9-4EE6-9EB2-956D9E4F037B.jpg

Sat nav should load from the dvd in to the hu...then remove, and sell.

Only if you have a hard disc based COMAND. Others require the map data disc to be in the drive. If you don't have a separate CD player, no CD whilst using navigation. Unless one has a COMAND with the separate Nav unit in the Boot.

That's COMAND-APS (NTG2). You need a CD changer in order to navigate and play music at the same time. On a W639 this would normally be on the floor between the front seats.

Only if you have a hard disc based COMAND. Others require the map data disc to be in the drive. If you don't have a separate CD player, no CD whilst using navigation. Unless one has a COMAND with the separate Nav unit in the Boot.

In my comand there was separate DVD in the boot. But the nav worked without the dvd in the drive.

I had a cd changer in the boot...but I could also play a cd in the hu whilst using nav.

Why don't they make these things the same across the range.

In my comand there was separate DVD in the boot. But the nav worked without the dvd in the drive.

I had a cd changer in the boot...but I could also play a cd in the hu whilst using nav.

Why don't they make these things the same across the range.

I *think* NTG2 was a 'cheap' version used in specific models - it's what we have in our 2007 C Class. The CD changer was probably a separate option, but it would be odd to order COMAND without it.

Our 2007 Vito has the CD changer but no COMAND :D

The manual link above is for NTG1, this is the link for a NTG2.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/manuals/navigation/USA-COMAND-NTG2-MY08-manual.pdf

Problem might be that I think the US versions are actually different units which although looking the same were made by different manufacturers.

From memory, you can eject the Nav disk and play a CD once you have set up a route to follow, you can't play cds if you just want to have the map displayed.

I got my manual from Ebay, this looks as though it could be the correct version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...294445?hash=item25ce33d96d:g:XZ4AAOSwImRYFGDJ

Last edited:
Thanks for that Codger I think you are correct I think it accepted a CD once programmed and the Sat disk was ejected but my lad was Co-Pilot at the time What a numpty setup I thought comand was an upgrade to my Sony Bluetooth Audio and my Stick on Garmin so far its a big disappointment
No Bluetooth Streaming
No speed camera alerts
No Road speed limit displayed
Sad really that Mercedes state of the Art Tech is replaced by superior stick on / in products (total value under £200 ) that predate the Vehicle :confused:
Boyd

Nothing on the floor between the seats
There is something behind the rear wheel arch inside trims but I think its too small to be a cd changer I'll reinspect it later might be something to do with Internal electrics as its got a 240V hook up as its " Dayvan " equipped / modified

Sad really that Mercedes state of the Art Tech is replaced by superior stick on / in products (total value under £200 ) that predate the Vehicle :confused:
Boyd

COMAND is nice to have as it has a big screen and does integrate with the instrument cluster/phone/audio/etc. and it's always there. When we ordered our Vito in 2007 it was £2,190 as an option though - er, no thanks! I recently replaced our almost 10 year old TomTom with a newer one with Live HD traffic, lifetime map & speed camera upgrades, etc. and I have to say that is superb.

yes the latest satnavs are very good, came back from London with my son on a Friday night and thought we'll be queing on the M25 for a while, but his tom tom rerouted usn and kept us going ,I reckon it saved about half an hour .
Out of interest where do you take your vito for service / repair ?

Its not the same across the range because they differentiate the vehicles.

The system in the Vito was NTG2, which was a combined version of NTG1, where it had seperate screen, amp and navi - this was all combined into 1 unit.

NTG1 was first released in 2002. This means it was designed in 1999. In 2009 it was replaced with NTG2.5 (2010 in Vito).

But, when looking at features you need to remember the you are running 18 year old technology. And in fact. your unit itself is 10 years old, been heated up, cooled down, bounced around, and has to run using low power and generating little heat (since there is no ventilation, unlike a tom tom on the dash) - so at least they did a good job of making reliable hardware.

The latest cars get Tom Tom live traffic, ability to import POI (so you can add speed cameras - MB couldn't do this or it would make their cars illegal to drive in France!) etc etc. And in UK, thats as standard. Maps are not free, but if you pay for the COMAND system, they are for 3 years.

I have wondered how some of the manufacturers of portable sat-navs are going to stay in business if their hardware is reliable, as you'll buy one, not change it for 10 years and not pay them anything for maps ... They seem to cost about £100 which is 83.33 ex VAT, there must be £30 for the retailer in that, and lets say the device cost £15, thats only ~40 for the unit and maps for it's lifetime.
- I suspect they have removed a lot of the cost from the hardware and it won't be lasting 10 years...

Richard

I have wondered how some of the manufacturers of portable sat-navs are going to stay in business if their hardware is reliable, as you'll buy one, not change it for 10 years and not pay them anything for maps ... They seem to cost about £100 which is 83.33 ex VAT, there must be £30 for the retailer in that, and lets say the device cost £15, thats only ~40 for the unit and maps for it's lifetime.
- I suspect they have removed a lot of the cost from the hardware and it won't be lasting 10 years...

Yes I'm curious too. My previous TomTom 910 has an internal hard disk, which I viewed with some suspicion. But after 10 years it was still going strong ... it's in a drawer now, 'just in case' :D

I paid £230 for the new one (6" screen, built-in SIM) and that will have paid for itself in free map and speed camera updates within 2 or 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom