Comand units

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zxrichie

Car
ML350
Hi Guys, its been a while, but im back, and with a different model, i now have a W163 ML320 2000/2001. the only thing it has in common with my last car is the 3.2 V6 engine.

Down to busines, in my console i have a std Mercedes CD/Radio. What i want to know is can i take that out with the cubby hole below and put in a, you guessed it, a Comand unit. if so what units would fit as i see quite a range, what i really want is one with the largest screen size possible. So if any one has any thoughts on this i would appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Rich

I would look at aftermarket satnav, the comand is quite dated now and you can get an aftermarket satnav that does everything you need, probably about the same price as a comand.

I would look at aftermarket satnav, the comand is quite dated now and you can get an aftermarket satnav that does everything you need, probably about the same price as a comand.

If your after upto date functions then as above, if you want originality then COMAND. My COMAND 2.0 had an audio amp issue and Mark from Comand said it was not worth repairing due to the cost so I now have a nice Kenwood 9280 which does everything and more.

Yeah go aftermarket, the ML looks good as it is a standard double din size, I had a few various ones in mine...

x3700dab.jpg

alpine_ml.jpg

Thanks guys this is really helpful, one question, do the after market units need the CD player for a sat nav disc, stopping me from playing a cd whilst I navigate? or do they somehow store it on board

They all tend to be hard drive based now.

I haven't used the cd drive for around 10 years now we have bluetooth audio, ipod, usb connections etc.

My Kenwood has the maps on NVRAM, my partners WinCE system has them on mSD Card

i have to ask this question, whilst the comand units look good and match the style, aftermarket units are technically better, however the main brands tend to be pricey. So, has anyone had any experience with these non branded units at about £200 ish, probably from China... if you have what do you and anyone else, owner or not, think of them, quality, UI , etc..

Rich

That looks very good, nice design, layout etc. How do you find it, for instance the sat nav, is that easy to use, etc and where does it keep the maps.

Supplied Nav system was IGO so easy to use and easy to add speed cameras.

i have to ask this question, whilst the comand units look good and match the style, aftermarket units are technically better, however the main brands tend to be pricey. So, has anyone had any experience with these non branded units at about £200 ish, probably from China... if you have what do you and anyone else, owner or not, think of them, quality, UI , etc..

Rich

I wouldn't touch anything chinese, they seem to do everything but not very well and not for long, i know the more popular makes are a bit more expensive but worth it in the end.

Completely agree, the sound is far behind something from say Pioneer or Alpine, the whole units don't feel integrated properly with the GUI, by that I mean it feels like you are loading apps each time you switch source or function, the FM is a bit pants at bets and the whole thing feels low rent.

I would much rather buy something used like...

PIONEER SAT NAV BLUTOOTH, DVD PLAYER | eBay

Pioneer F930 BT parrot bluetooth VW TMC and CKO DAB Satnav Updated 2014 to maps | eBay

Or if you have an iPhone get the new Pioneer Car Play unit...

Pioneer SPH-DA120 Apple CarPlay, Touch Screen, GPS, Bluetooth, Android, iPhone | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom