Comand upgrade from NTG1 to NTG 2.5 w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nimishashar

Car
CLS350, A180, C200CDI, E220 CDI
Gurus,

I have taken the plunge to convert my retrofitted NTG1 system to a NTG 2.5 system. I bought the new unit, and thought it was going to be an easy changeover. But after reading a few posts and other websites this task does seem as thought it just a case of switching over the main units. Is there anyone out there who had done this. I have also read that my cd changer will also become redundant The unit i purchased is a BD0880, before I attempt to plug this into my car and blow it to bits is there something i should have converter plug etc.. or is this a much bigger job andnot worth the hassel.

thanks for your help in advance

Nimish

1. Cd changer will be made redundant along with the nav processor in the boot and AGW tuner. Sell these on with the NTG1 to recoup some of the cost.

2. The upgrade is worth it and you already have the NTG2.5 unit anyway. Beware though does your car have Harmon Kardon? If so then you WILL need to change both HK amps and this alone is over £1k.

Along with the NTG2.5 unit and GPS antenna you will need one of the below conversion kits depending on if you car has phone pre wire or not.

Without phone: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W211/W219/R171 E/CLS NTG1 to COMAND NTG2.5 conversion set for cars without phone

With phone: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W211/W219/R171 E/CLS/SLK NTG1 to COMAND NTG2.5 conversion set for cars WITH phone

You may also need some coding done on STAR.

Here is a retrofit guide. Not exactly the same for you as the person who wrote the guide has Audio 20 cd which doesnt have an AGW in the boot but it gives you an idea of what is involved. Comand NTG 2

Guide on removing audio in w211: Removing/Installing COMAND & Audio on E & CLS

Alfie and Richard from Comand Europe based in Woking, Surrey are highly recommended and can carry out any coding needed or even the whole install if you wish. Comand (Europe) Ltd - Great Deals on Mercedes Comand & Retrofitting Installations

Last edited:
Alfie and Richard retro-fitted COMAND NTG2.5 on my w203. The installtion looked simple enough when they did it! :)

Highly recommended! And everything works as it should - Bluetooth, Instrument panel integration, etc. I passed on the iPod kit and the Linguatronic but both are available if you are interested. It you are adventurous then do it yourself, but if you want to make sure that everything works first time round than take it to Alfie.... ;)

Also, with Alfie you are guaranteed to get the latest everything, i.e. firmware, maps, etc....

If you are selling your CD changer, I would be interested.

Still undecided as to whether I want to now install this new unit as i would loose the cd changer, as i think the unit i've bought does not have a changer built-in. Also it seems as though the cost of changing is high with all the bits i still need to buy. So may have to sell-on the new unit after all

Still undecided as to whether I want to now install this new unit as i would loose the cd changer, as i think the unit i've bought does not have a changer built-in. Also it seems as though the cost of changing is high with all the bits i still need to buy. So may have to sell-on the new unit after all

Your new NTG2.5 unit would handle about the same amount of music in MP3 format on the DVD drive as your CD changer would hold on six CDs. In addition you can use the memory card (is it an SD-card slot in this unit?). Why would you worry about the lack of a CD changer.

As above. You can fill a dvd full of songs and then you also have sd card slot to play music direct from the sd card and then also the 4GB music register on the harddrive. The navigation maps are also stored on the harddrive so the dvd drive is not needed for navigation.

You guys are making my argument less valid as time goes by, maybe i have to rethink again:doh:

As said above...

The unit Alfie got for me does not have the internal DVD-Changer (apparently the changer ones difficult to get), but with the 4GB Music Register on the hard disk, SD card slot (I use 4GB card but I understand that other have been successfully using 16GB cards?), and 4.7GB capacity of the DVD drive, you can have nearly 13GB of MP3 songs and are not likely to need anything else...

The Internal DVD-changer can be useful if you have the headrest rear DVD screens for the kids at the back, because they can watch DVD movies, but it is not much use for the driver/passenger at the front.

cant you buy the DVD changer bit seperately?

cant you buy the DVD changer bit seperately?

Don't think so... the DVD changer is physically built-in into the thing, and externally the eject button looks different, so an 'upgrade' will mean taking it apart to pieces.... and where would you find the donor unit? Doubt it....

The changer is built into the headunit like on the new Audio 20 units. I havent seen an optional external changer for MY09> cars. There wouldnt really be much point in getting one anyway, you would be better of with the universal media interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom