Combined sat nav and mobile speed camera detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzComander

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate
Friend is after a combined sat nav and mobile speed camera detector.:rolleyes:

Is there a sat nav unit that will alert you to the mobile speed detection units. Most have a database of the fixed sites, but he wants one that will warn when you are in the vacinity of a handheld lazer.

Any suggestions please.

TomTom holds 'known' (common) mobile speed trap sites, and you can receive updates to these as you go along if you've got a Bluetooth phone. Updates to the fixed camera sites are only released monthly.

There's not much point in an actual detector, IMO. Laser is highly directional and pretty much instantaneous. Basically, if your detector goes off you're already nicked.

RADAR has a lot more 'splash' so you may detect someone else being targetted, and have a chance of slowing down. But most mobiles are laser nowadays.

I think that I read somewhere that laser detectors are now illegal to use.

I have the Road Angel Navigator and that works well

Regards

Steve

TomTom holds 'known' (common) mobile speed trap sites, and you can receive updates to these as you go along if you've got a Bluetooth phone. Updates to the fixed camera sites are only released monthly.

There's not much point in an actual detector, IMO. Laser is highly directional and pretty much instantaneous. Basically, if your detector goes off you're already nicked.

RADAR has a lot more 'splash' so you may detect someone else being targetted, and have a chance of slowing down. But most mobiles are laser nowadays.
In January I bought the tom tom. I paid/subscribed to the Traffic/camera alert service but couldn't get it to work/report on mobile sites.

After a lot of e-mail and eventually a phone call I was told that I had subscribed to two services "Traffic" and "Cameras".
Tom Tom do not support mobile cameras. The way their mobile alert systems works is by having a report function (via a blue tooth phone) where by at least three or more people need to report a mobile site via their Tom Tom. If your phone is connected at that location an alert will be sent.
The guy on the phone told me this doesn't work because as yet no one reports sites whilst they are driving.
This is what I was told and they would not give me a refund, they said I should of read the description of Tom Tom "Traffic/Cameras"more carefully??

If you use a TomTom device, be sure to subscribe to the sped camera database provided by www.pocketgps.co.uk - it's the best there is:

PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database Version 5.034
23 Mar 07
10,684 verified cameras in the database
1,177 unverified mobile sites
(total combined: 11,861)
3,862 Gatso/Monitron/Truvelo
5,560 Mobiles
30 Temporary
229 Specs
1,003 Redlight Cameras

Tom Tom do not support mobile cameras. The way their mobile alert systems works is by having a report function (via a blue tooth phone) where by at least three or more people need to report a mobile site via their Tom Tom. If your phone is connected at that location an alert will be sent.
The guy on the phone told me this doesn't work because as yet no one reports sites whilst they are driving.
This is what I was told and they would not give me a refund, they said I should of read the description of Tom Tom "Traffic/Cameras"more carefully??

I certainly have mobile camera sites on my TomTom, and periodically get "mobile cameras updated" as I go along :confused:

Hi

I use a Garmin Nuvi and the pocketgps data base - I find it great also you will find the maps are better than tomtom - read the forums on pocketgps about mapping.

Laser detectors are still legal but are about to be made illegal later this year - also if you use a detector in France they will detect you and confiscate your equipment and fine you. I am not sure about gps locators in France - the AA recommend you dont use them.

Hope that helps - Also the Nuvi is nicer looking than the TomTom (IMHO) and suits the Merc better. I use a disc on the dash and it sits there nicely (I dont like things stuck to windscreen and I feel they look naff>) again my own opinion

There's a dash mount for the TomTom that wires into the car stereo, ignition, light circuit, etc. if you want a nice installation. We have 3 cars so being able to move it easily from one to another (and have it totally removed when not in use ... which is most of the time) is a key requirement.

The TomTom 910 is the only portable unit I've used so I can't personally compare it with other makes, but it seems to win most of the satnav group tests (including the Which? one).

There's a dash mount for the TomTom that wires into the car stereo, ignition, light circuit, etc. if you want a nice installation. We have 3 cars so being able to move it easily from one to another (and have it totally removed when not in use ... which is most of the time) is a key requirement.

The TomTom 910 is the only portable unit I've used so I can't personally compare it with other makes, but it seems to win most of the satnav group tests (including the Which? one).

have you got a link for the dashmount solution? :)

have you got a link for the dashmount solution? :)

After a bit of searching, I think this was only available for the previous '00 series - sorry! :eek:

For the '10 series there's a thing called "Car Connect", which installs in the dash and uses Bluetooth to route the TT's audio output (music, spoken instructions, phone calls, etc.) through the car stereo, as well as switching the TT to night mode when you turn the car lights on.

But I don't think it replaces the standard mount.

After a bit of searching, I think this was only available for the previous '00 series - sorry! :eek:

For the '10 series there's a thing called "Car Connect", which installs in the dash and uses Bluetooth to route the TT's audio output (music, spoken instructions, phone calls, etc.) through the car stereo, as well as switching the TT to night mode when you turn the car lights on.

But I don't think it replaces the standard mount.

cheers dude :) not to worry.

I think that I read somewhere that laser detectors are now illegal to use.

I have the Road Angel Navigator and that works well

Regards

Steve

Since when have speed camera/laser detectors been illegal ?????

Since when have speed camera/laser detectors been illegal ?????

I thought they were legal in the UK because of a loophole in the law...

But they are definitely illegal in several countries on the continent. In my native Belgium, you can even get your vehicle seized :crazy:

Then again, why do you need them in the first place - don't we all stick to the limits? :devil:

I thought they were legal in the UK because of a loophole in the law...

But they are definitely illegal in several countries on the continent. In my native Belgium, you can even get your vehicle seized :crazy:

Then again, why do you need them in the first place - don't we all stick to the limits? :devil:

been illegal since that using the mobile phone thing came in. GPS based if fine , laster stuff isnt.

been illegal since that using the mobile phone thing came in. GPS based if fine , laster stuff isnt.

Don't think so, see here:

http://www.roadangel.co.uk/press/index.html

Some elements such as using mobile phones while driving go live in February 2007, whilst other sections including that looking at speed measurement detection products, are yet to have dates defined. We are advised that after consultation, those devices which are declared illegal will be outlawed late in 2007 at the earliest.

Laser detectors are still legal at the moment in the UK but there is a bill proposed that will make them illegal later this year.
Laser blockers (i.e. garage door openers which are used to block laser is illegal) deemed to be "obstructing the police in their duties"
GPS locators will not be illegal but I have no idea of their legality on the continent
Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom