Command - not working via streeing wheel buttons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

0ptic

Car
2002 C32 AMG, 1999 w202 C200 Esprit
Hi Folks

I had to change the aircon flap levers today on my C32 :crazy: Horrible job but done it OK. After getting it all back together, I noticed that the command works OK on it's own buttons but not on the steering wheel buttons. It also used to turn off when I removed the key but now stays on. If I click through the cluster displays It's not seeing the command. ie wont change channels or control volume.

I'm pretty sure I didn't leave any wires off but I wonder if the command is removed do I need to do some reprogram magic to communicate with the rest of the car?

sounds like a canbus wire not plugged in

If I go in to diagnostic mode it says "Ring must be open". I did remember plugging in the optical plug but I might have kinked the cable when I screwed the unit back in. I guess I'll have to take most of it apart again tomorrow and have a look :-(

Oh well, at least I know how to do it now!

I had another look this morning and everything is plugged in and no kinks in fiber optic cable. What I have since noticed is that the list of configured components has only one entry for comand. The list of actual components includes Digital BOSE AMP, CD Changer. and the TV doesn't work. I know it is analog and I can't receive anything on t but it used to come on. Now it says something like no TV option or something to that effect.

None of the displays on the cluster relating to audio or satnav show anything, just a -- symbol.

Is there a way of configuring the installed components or do you think I've got a faulty comand?

SOLVED! Took it all out again and realized it was intermittent. The little gray lever for the (canbus?) plug had a broken hinge and wasn't going fully home even with the lever in the right position. refitted the plug without the lever and it's OK. It's a pretty good fit so I don't think I'll be getting any problems with it working loose.

The comand had been out for repair before as it had fault stickers on the top cover so I'm blaming the last guy for braking the lever ;)

SOLVED! Took it all out again and realized it was intermittent. The little gray lever for the (canbus?) plug had a broken hinge and wasn't going fully home even with the lever in the right position. refitted the plug without the lever and it's OK. It's a pretty good fit so I don't think I'll be getting any problems with it working loose.

The comand had been out for repair before as it had fault stickers on the top cover so I'm blaming the last guy for braking the lever ;)

Your issue is identical to someone who called us yesterday with a C32 who had just plugged his comand in and found the same issue. ;)

That sounds like me Alfie :) Thanks for the help, you were absolutely definate in your advice, enough so that I went straight back out and took it all apart again. Not something to be undertaken lightly although I'm getting a bit of a dab hand at it now ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom