Command SatNav GATSO DataBase?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

banco

Car
E320 cdi sport
Hi All

Does anyone know if a replacement dvd is available for the satnav in my new E320cdi sport which will show speed cameras?

As far as I know, there isn't.

It may be possible to edit the database on the standard DVD to incorporate new POIs and then create a new (possibly illegal) DVD from it, this has been done with BMW discs I think but I've not heard of anything similar on the MB front.

MB Discs have a different format to the BMW ones. Its not possible.

Shude said:
As far as I know, there isn't.

It may be possible to edit the database on the standard DVD to incorporate new POIs and then create a new (possibly illegal) DVD from it, this has been done with BMW discs I think but I've not heard of anything similar on the MB front.

100% correct.

saorbust said:
It's not possible.

This just sounds like a challenge! :devil:

Very,very difficult maybe but not impossible, it means finding and editing the POI data (I vote for replacing the locations of MB Dealers with the locations of speed cameras!). This is exactly what has been done with the BMW system.

Perhaps an alternative approach would be to start a whispering campaign to MBUK that this is what is wanted by their customers ... who knows ...

masqueraid said:
This just sounds like a challenge! :devil:
It was considered impossible on the BMW ones until someone did it. The POI database was created by someone and therefore it is reasonable to assume that it could be unpacked, read, edited and recompiled.
masqueraid said:
Very,very difficult maybe but not impossible, it means finding and editing the POI data (I vote for replacing the locations of MB Dealers with the locations of speed cameras!). This is exactly what has been done with the BMW system.

Perhaps an alternative approach would be to start a whispering campaign to MBUK that this is what is wanted by their customers ... who knows ...
I don't believe that any OEM satnav package includes gatso POIs. If MB *did* decide to include gatsos in their POI lists would you be happy to buy a new £250 (or whatever) DVD every few weeks when the gatso data is updated? How about if a gatso isn't on their list and you get flashed by it, who is going to be blamed when the satnav didn't know about it?

Sounds like a can of worms to me, I'd not blame them if they decided not to get involved!

I checked the MB Disc.

Its one large file, over a GB in size. If you want to analyse it - be my guest, but I believe its not worth the effort.

Someone ought to do it ... but ...

At 2.2GB probably not, however - looking at the hidden file structure of the APS 5.0 DVD there are a number of smaller databases...

E9-36_2659_EU.DB 5,859,328
GPS222.DB 182,272
GPS7_A412.DB 174,080
LWC_IPS.IPS 16,861,184
SDB_1873b.DB 10,444,800
kN043EU16x26t1.DB 1,309,124,608
kN043EU16x26t1g32b.DB 771,612,672
7 File(s) 2,114,258,944 bytes

I'll see if I can find the GPS location of one of the MB Service Centres in there ... I may be sometime ... :crazy:

I member seeing a post (can't remember where) that stated the proprietary MB Nav application compresses the raw Navteq map data (including presumably the overlays) on the CD - that's why you can't see the POI text using a file browser.

How to find out the compression algorithm used? (and therefore decompres to see the real file structure)

Just imagine if Merc used the Tomtom software - a nice little SD card slot in the dash to load up and save/transfer all your addresses, POIs and as a source for 50Euro map updates every year or so.......nah, lock them into £250 encoded DVDs and the factory POIs instead (oh and make the DVD reader iffy wirh DVD-Rs)!

Masqueraid - consider yourself a hero if you crack this one!

Well, .DB files are normally for oracle or something similar. Any DBA's on here ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom