Comments on Costco membership?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I have recently become eligible for Costco membership (as an "employee benefit" at work). I know there's a store reasonably nearby (Reading) ... so what sort of discounts do they give?

Any general comments for/against membership welcome.

Great store IMHO. I pay for my membership £20 plus VAT but I pull that back on oil alone.

Other things are good value like dog biscuits, chocolate (box of Twix for my boot ;) ), and other bits and bobs.

Beware though, it's the sort of place you walk out having spent much more than just the 8 litres of oil you went in for!!??

It varies, but generally well worth being a member. Don't forget you get the Costco guarentee as well as the suppliers, you can return anything but food and have a refund as long as you are a member.

Be warned, you could get hooked on their home baking...

I have recently become eligible for Costco membership (as an "employee benefit" at work). I know there's a store reasonably nearby (Reading) ... so what sort of discounts do they give?

Any general comments for/against membership welcome.

Mobil 1, 4 litres for £23, best deal I know of.

Russ

well , its not as good as it used to be.

Some stuff is cheap such as michelin tyres cannot be beaten on price but you have to keep checking. Just cause its in costco don't assume its cheap :)

but , one purchace might make back your yearly membership.

The food is of a high quality and the salmon they do is a real bargain.

Really depends what you buy.

Love Costco,

Joined when it first opened way back when and no one really knew what it was. Its certainly has become popular.

The range of stuff isn't great but on TV's for example they off 90 day money back guarantee if not happy and 5 year warranty.

Usually the items are quite a bit less than you will find in the shops. You have to remember when walking round that prices do not include VAT.

I have bought all mannor of stuff over the years and it is always good quality gear, tools, touches, clothes, electrical etc etc.

Also has a lot of noce food / breads / beers / wines / chocolates and for your dogs bulk dog food / buscuits.

Oh and for your little ones they have calpol, nappies and baby wipes etc in huge packs.

What it good is every now and again they have a passport book with special offers 3 for 2 etc some great deals then. ooh and tyres can be cheap if you have normal sizes.

So yes I would recommend it, and if you join here you can use it in the USA...

Many thanks for the comments guys. We will give it a go for a year.

Costco in Reading has tyre fitting bay as well.

One thing though: NEVER go on a day when a game is on at the Madejski Stadium :crazy:

I use Reading Costco - excellent for the household things you can buy in bulk and store - and I've found things like washing detergent (for clothes, that is) and dishwasher tablets are a fraction of supermarket prices. As others have said, food is excellent and generally very good quality. I buy all the family cold meats there - many of them come in huge packs pre-sliced (think American style deli;) ) and suitable for home freezing; when I get home I just break bulk and freeze it. Also very good value on soft drinks, J2Os etc. It's not a replacement for a spuermarket trip, but with a bit of thought there's no problem making far more than the fee back on it.

OOh yes the trolley's are american size XXXL and you do tend to keep putting stuff in...(or the wife does !!!)

come cheque out time it can be pricey.... :)

Do they insist on being a business?? Or is there a way for the "ordinary guy" to join?

There is a normal membership depending on who you work for, this list of these seems to be larger and larger though.

Then there is a Trade member (which I have) through my fathers company, slightly different opeing hrs and you can buy things such as asprin etc in bulk?

Our local one will even will your tyres with nitrogen!!

And the iced personalised cakes are fantastic value for a party.

I'm a member through the family business too.

And I concur - birthday cakes are great value.

Chocolat au pain are wonderful too - I have to eat about thirty before they go off though - not too difficult!! ;)

Birthday cakes, croissants, chips, Yazoo's, Washing Powder, Domestos, and Loo roll certainly make the memberships fees back pretty quick!

Living 2 miles from one is also helpful.

BTW - good deal on the Jacket Potatoes and frozen yoghurt in the cafe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom