Commercial diesel fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

650max

Car
Sprinter 311 LWB Luton
Gents

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question but seeing as I'm a member I'll give it a try?

After a period of unemployment, the C32 has had to go (boohoo, hope Darren from Hampshire enjoys it) and I'm now setting up on my own and have bought a LWB Sprinter 311 Luton van.

My question is fuel consumption, it hasn't done any work yet so running empty I'm getting 22 mpg, I've given it an engine service (oil & all 3 filters), tyre pressures are bang on, no exhaust smoke, obvious fuel leaks or smell of fuel and the brakes aren't dragging, is this as good as it gets? I was expecting a bit more, maybe 25-27?

Any help or advice gratefully received

Max

Lutons are notoriously bad compared to the more streamline panel vans.

Our LWB 311 panel will get 30 on a run if driven steadily, but usually we get between 20-25, we usually carry around a tonne in the back.

I keep our tyres at 55psi front and 60psi, to be honest i haven't even looked at what the recommendations are but i've played with pressures on ours for some years and these seem to be best with the weight we carry.

We used to have a 313 with 6 speed sprintshift gearbox and that was marginally better. We put this down to the gearing and the fact that you had to drive gently with that stupid gearbox.

I think that you're doing well to get 22mpg, if I'm being honest.

Mercedes Sprinters and Vitos are notoriously bad on fuel.

Do you have a tail lift? They can affect it. I am presuming it has the aero body and not the 'block' fronted one. If its the latter will obviously make a difference although I dont know how much.
Be careful how much you carry especially if you have a tail lift - you would be surprised how little will put you over.

Mercedes Sprinters and Vitos are notoriously bad on fuel.

When I purchased my Sprinter 312D back in 1998, on a run it was better than a Transit but not so good in a town, Transit's back then did not have turbo's and should have been supplied with ear protection.

My LWB standard roof 312D (5 pot) panel van, unlaiden averages 27mpg. .

Hmmm.... some food for thought

Tyre pressures, I've just set them as per the plate under the passenger seat (41 & 65), the fronts were over 50 when I checked them, rears I've no idea, I couldn't see the gauge on the garage machine from where I was stood but I'm guessing they were too low 'cos I could hear/feel the machine pumping.

Yes it's got an aero front & tail lift, I need to get it on a weighbridge to find out how much load I've got to play with. For now I'm going to stuff a can of Forte through the fuel system and maybe think about an upgrade chip to give it the same output as a 313 (not working as hard for the same result anyone?), that gets confusing though 'cos prices range from £60 to £350 and is probably a whole new thread?

cheers all

Max

No doubt it's effected to a great extent by the way that it's used. If like all commercial diesels appear to be driven, you use the throttle as an on/off switch and you only turn the engine off if you're stopped for more than 30 minutes, then you're not going to achieve wonderful figures! :dk:

Tar and brush? That may be true for courier drivers working for big firms, but when it's your own van it's quite a bit different...

Hi, we have one sprinter luton 311 with taillift in company i work for, I'm not sure what mpg it does but i can tell you it weights a lot 2700kg empty!! so you have 800 kg pay load only, be carefull. as for mpg I did a test on a 8 wheeller roll on/off truck once, same 60mls round trip, first low 13 ft container heavy loaded close to max gross weight 32t, second just over 16 ft conteiner empty weighing around 18t. it might suprise you but on "heavy" run i did 6.73mpg and the second "light" run came at 6.42! Drag is a killer for mpg.

it might suprise you but on "heavy" run i did 6.73mpg and the second "light" run came at 6.42! Drag is a killer for mpg.

It doesn't surprise me at all. During constant speed motoring the mass of the vehicle is almost irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom