Competition - What's my Bill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good question.

When I get the final bill, I'll post it - itemised. Not sure when car will be ready - so please be patient.

Some good guesses on here - and many of them cheaper than I would have thought………...

Ah...so you don't know yet either....so where's your guess :D:D

Ah...so you don't know yet either....so where's your guess :D:D

Not telling :dk:

On the bright side, the MOT is a pass. :thumb:

Well, I've got the car back. Rounded to the nearest £, it cost me

Labour (service) £82
Labour (odd other jobs) £45
Parts £98
MOT £45
VAT £45
Total £315

So the winner is……. cinek……. with 249 + Vat

(but I liked the "mates rates" price)

Last edited:

Labour (service) £82
Parts £88
MOT £45
VAT £45
Total £315

What's their hourly rate?

£45 total to fit a set of lowering springs as well as side bars seems very low.

I'd have guessed a few hours for that at £45/hour - not £45 in total :eek:

Edit - doesn't add up anyway? I make that £305 ;-)

Edited post - my bad - parts should be £98

Think you better name the garage those are brilliant prices and if the workmanship is good worth travelling for :thumb:

I am assuming the 'lowering kit' comprised of a lowering blocks fitted over the existing springs, rather than replacing the original springs with shorter ones?

I think you can expect to pay around £200 for the B service including parts and VAT, and around £50 inc. VAT for the MOT, at an Indie. So having the lowering blocks and side strips fitted for another £50 or so is indeed very good value.

I am assuming the 'lowering kit' comprised of a lowering blocks fitted over the existing springs, rather than replacing the original springs with shorter ones?

In the event, we decided not to fit the shorter springs - as the front is a torsion bar setup - and it was considered that lowering the front could compromise ride quality and increase tyre wear - so assuming another 1.5 hours for the springs then another £45 plus vat to add. Not something I was aware of when ordering the eibach kit - I had thought the kit was 4 springs, one for each corner.

In the interest of simplicity (and because I was in a rush) I omitted to mention this. Turns out I was wrong to do so - as it has confused many members. In my defence, they had already started the job at the back - so I assumed there was a labour charge for the abortive work. It appears that the garage has been very kind to me.

What do they charge? £10 per hour labour??

£45 is 1.5 hours - so £30 plus vat. Still very cheap compared to main agent prices.

Think you better name the garage those are brilliant prices and if the workmanship is good worth travelling for :thumb:

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman :thumb::thumb:

If you can bear crossing the pennines and coming over to "the dark side" we do have some very good curry houses…………

Yes - the workmanship is good - I've used them for years.

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman :thumb::thumb:

If you can bear crossing the pennines and coming over to "the dark side" we do have some very good curry houses…………

Yes - the workmanship is good - I've used them for years.

I can do most things myself but my problem is I'm getting to old for jacking the car up and crawling underneath to do the big jobs you really need a ramp for. I did the engine mounts on the CLK and it took me 3 hours on the drive and boy did I know about it the following day. So for the big jobs I'm now looking around although hopefully there is nothing looming at present

Always up for a good curry though :thumb:

Labour (service) £82
Parts £98
MOT £45
VAT £45
Total £315

Wow, I'd have said around the £500-550 mark.

Removing strut assemblies on W163 is a big job. Let alone changing springs. Did this myself 4 times and it still takes best part of the day (I'm not a mechanic).

For the record, as mentioned above the front is done by adjusting the torsion bars. 17-18 revolutions will lower an inch or so. Has to be done with load off though so lift your front end off the ground when doing that.

PS: short springs (Eibach, H&R, etc) and stock struts are not designed for each other. You can use Bilsteins but the ride will be bouncy. Brabus used to offer the best strut assemblies as they designed both springs and struts.

Last edited:

Labour (service) £82
Parts £98
MOT £45
VAT £45
Total £315

:rock:

oh, oh, what did I win??