Congestion charge CO2 threshold drops to 75g/km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
So now that they have dropped the 100g/km rate down to 75g/km.....The only sensible choice to drive in the city is.......a Porsche....

"The new E-Hybrid sees its air-cooled NiMH batteries replaced with a water-cooled Li-Ion setup and power up to 95hp at 2,200-2,600rpm and torque at 229lb ft from 0-1,700rpm from the E-motor. That is teamed with a 333hp 3.0-litre supercharged petrol engine of Audi parentage. The result is the kind of spec sheet that looks like a mistake: 167mph, 0-62mph in 5.5 seconds, 91mpg and just 71g/km of CO2."

Porsche Panamera facelift: Review - PistonHeads

Or does that go against the principle of what they are trying to achieve ?

Last edited:
Damn!! I would have to pay to go in in the Picanto now, if I felt so inclined.

At least my road tax is FREE (for the present)

The Porsche is a prime example of how to take advantage of stupid government targets.

There is no chance that that is in any way greener than a Picanto.

The Porsche is a prime example of how to take advantage of stupid government targets.

True, but gives you a great argument with the Mrs.......

Me: We need to buy a Porsche
Her: no
Me: But it's cheaper in London than a Kia.
Her: Ok then.

Then I wake up.......

There is no chance that that is in any way greener than a Picanto.

Actually, it makes more sense than you might think.

The main reason for lowering the CO2 threshold (apart from generally reflecting the fact that with cars getting 'greener', the proportion that qualified for the discount was becoming too great) was that commuters were specifically buying cars with emissions below 100g/km in order to qualify for the discount - particularly the Fiat 500 TwinAir. This was an unintended (though perhaps predictable) consequnce, that neither helped congestion nor air quality in London.

The fact that the Panamera E-Hybrid qualifies for the new limit is a statistical irrelevance, as obviously noboby is going to buy one just to beat the Congestion Charge. However, those that are driven in London will be pumping out less CO2 than the superminis/repmobiles/vans/buses/etc they're sharing the road with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom