Connecting a Becker Map Pilot to a PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GRB996

Car
A250 AMG Sport
Just collected my new A class today, fitted with the Becker Map Pilot System.

"When you get it home, connect the unit to your PC to check for updates", said the dealer. Several frustrating hours later, I still cannot get the PC to read the Becker Unit. I can see the unit in Windows Explorer, (it says it is a CD Drive) but I cannot open the device itself, to Install the Content Manager. I downloaded and installed the content manager from the web, but that just sits there "spinning its wheels" and doing nothing. I am now lost for ideas. I have tried turning off my security software, but no luck there either.

Anybody else experienced this, or got any suggestions?

What version of Windows are you using? Try an alternative USB cable that fits? When you open the Content manager it should automatically start looking for the map pilot and give you a message saying so . Other possibility is ---Have you removed the map pilot internal battery transit insulation tab?

You need to download Becker content Manager. go to the Becker Map Pilot web site and navigate to downloads and download the Becker content manager it's a zip file, once its downloaded double click and follow the instructions, it's very straightforward . Once you have installed it you can connect your unit. Downloading and updating the software and maps is straight forward, but can easily take three hours.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. The unit works OK in the car (although it has problems recognising 7 digit UK postcodes properly), and I have checked the battery tab has been removed. I am using Windows 7 Home Professional, and I have downloaded the content manager from the web, after failing to get the unit to install the software automatically. I then just seem to get stuck in a loop, where the software won't start properly, as it says it can't find the unit, so it says close the software and reconnect. You try that, and find yourself back in the same loop again!. I have tried an alternative USB lead, but that seems to make no difference. The unit "appears" in windows explorer and says CD Drive (K) Becker Content Manager, but single or double clicking has no effect on accessing the device itself.

Is the pc your using a company one with vpn this did cause me some issues?

Is the pc your using a company one with vpn this did cause me some issues?
Hi Ashadam, its a personal computer, but I may try my wifes netbook to see if it will connect to that

When you connect the unit does the autoload start if so try to cancel, after starting the content manager it should say initially becker not connected?

GRB996 said:
Hi Ashadam, its a personal computer, but I may try my wifes netbook to see if it will connect to that

Strange. It works on my wife's very slow netbook , but not on my much faster PC. I will have to investigate further.

Strange. It works on my wife's very slow netbook , but not on my much faster PC. I will have to investigate further.
I had similar issue then used another pc and I could not believe how fast it was in the end, you should get a few updates including a firmware update. Its a great unit once up and running, also I don't think the additional add ons have got much good mentions but a few threads discussing on site just do a search.

GRB996 said:

Do you use IE7 (or higher) on both machines? Not sure it will work with Firefox, Chrome etc.

GRB996 said:

Assuming you have more than 1 USB socket on the laptop try in a different socket, sometimes when you plug devices in they don't register properly and it may resolve in a different socket.

If it still won't find the device in Content Manager but shows in Windows Explorer you could try opening up Device Manager (right click on My Computer and choose manage and it should appear in tree.)

Remove the USB lead from Becker unit, open up USB part of tree in Dev Manager and plug Becker back in. When a new USB device appears right click on it, choose uninstall and unplug the device again.

When you plug in now it will ( or should) show that its installing drivers on task bar. It may ask if you want to set what it should do by default when plugged in but close that window without making any choice, likewise if it mentions scanning the device.

Thanks to RTaylor for his suggestions. I tried them today, and they seemed to be heading me in the right direction, but I have now used another PC to update the Becker unit. My conclusion is that the problem lies with the PC, not the Becker Unit, so this is now time to go to another forum with that problem :)

If I had hair I'd be tearing it out. I live in France, and have a C200CDi estate 2012. Like the OP, I just cannot get the PC (and I've tried three different ones) to recognise the unit for updates. I went to the dealership, who firstly told me only they have right and 150€ thank you. I demurred, and finally they agreed that's why the USB cable is included. They said it was not their problem but Becker's. I phone Becker and spent a frustrating hour on line and finally she agreed there had to be a problem and sent me back to Mercedes. Today they took the car in and I explained that I needed the radar sites installed. When I picked up the car an hour ago they had done nothing, reiterating that it was an option and up to me to do it. Round and round we go and no solution. Finally, they've given me a new unit. Surprise surprise, the unit isn't recognised by the PC - any of them. Yes, I've downloaded the programme, deleted it and reinstalled it, I've reinstalled Adobe and suppressed my anti-virus and firewall, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

lowdrag said:
If I had hair I'd be tearing it out. I live in France, and have a C200CDi estate 2012. Like the OP, I just cannot get the PC (and I've tried three different ones) to recognise the unit for updates. I went to the dealership, who firstly told me only they have right and 150€ thank you. I demurred, and finally they agreed that's why the USB cable is included. They said it was not their problem but Becker's. I phone Becker and spent a frustrating hour on line and finally she agreed there had to be a problem and sent me back to Mercedes. Today they took the car in and I explained that I needed the radar sites installed. When I picked up the car an hour ago they had done nothing, reiterating that it was an option and up to me to do it. Round and round we go and no solution. Finally, they've given me a new unit. Surprise surprise, the unit isn't recognised by the PC - any of them. Yes, I've downloaded the programme, deleted it and reinstalled it, I've reinstalled Adobe and suppressed my anti-virus and firewall, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

You could try deleting the Device that appears in Device Manager when you plug it in then disconnecting it and reconnecting, this should force it to try and find a driver for it Device again.

If you let me know what version of windows your using I will give you the steps

GRB996 said:
Thanks to RTaylor for his suggestions. I tried them today, and they seemed to be heading me in the right direction, but I have now used another PC to update the Becker unit. My conclusion is that the problem lies with the PC, not the Becker Unit, so this is now time to go to another forum with that problem :)

I dont know but I think its likely the Becker is being recognized as a previous type of device thats already been plugged in and driver installed for

I am beginning to wonder if its specific to certain versions of Windows, I have seen this sort of issue in Windows 7 myself with many usb devices including tomtom and usb memory sticks.

Do you plug in the device before pc is started or once windows has fully started, I would do the latter.

I would also make sure you have the latest software from Becker installed too

Right guys, I need some help, as I also am tearing my hair out. I have just brought a Becker Map Pilot and cannot get it to connect to my laptop. It shows it in the device manager nut not as an external drive. I have taken the car and map pilot back to Mercedes, no joy. Contacted Becker (I may as well talk to a wall). I have tried everything. I have installed the Content Manager from the webist and all it says, is that the content manager is trying to connect to your map pilot. I am using Windows 7. I have tried it on three different computers and the same thing happens on them all. I even went back to the drawing board with mine and re-installed windows, so that the computer had nothing on it but still nothing. I was beginning to think that it could be a Dell thing.
If anyone can help me, it would be great

Thanks

Mixjp,

If you have tried on 3 different PC's it would imply its either the device itself or possibly the cable ? I am also using a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 so I dont think its that. If you have a spare cable try that. If you dont I can post you one (I have a few kicking around)

Does the unit appear as a USB device in Device Manager on all 3 ? If so what name appears ? Also make sure you are plugging it into a powered usb slot, not all usb slots are the same, check it has a + on the usb symbol

If you still get no joy message me and we can arrange a quick call and I will go over it with you , wont take long but if its still not working at that stage I would suggest getting it swapped at the dealer, they are bound to have a pc they can test it on too

Gentlemen
I am having the same problems as those of the originator of this thread and several other contributors. The MP is not recognised by my PC when it is first plugged in. I have now tried it on 3 different machines, 2 off Windows 7 desktops and a new Windows 8.1 laptop. All these O/S's are 64 bit. They all behave the same in that a CD drive and a removable drive are installed but neither of these new drives are accessible. You have to refresh the drive display window for the drives to appear. I downloaded the Content Manager and installed that but that also does not recognise that the MP is connected. I tried another cable, not effect. I was beginning to suspect the I had a hardware problem on the MP's USB connector. I noted that another contributor had tried an old machine so I managed to get hold of an old Windows XP (32 bit) laptop. When I plugged the MP into that it created the same two new drives but this time the removable drive showed up as "Becker MP" and I could read the contents. The CD drive was still not accessible. When I tried the Content Manager again, it connected and I was able to upload all the software/firmware/map updates available, although this took some time (hours!).

Obviously this proves that the MP's hardware and the cable are okay. My suspicion is that the drivers that are loaded from the MP are incompatible with Windows 7 & 8, possibly only the 64 bit version, as I see that other contributors are using Windows 7. The support for the drivers appears to be non-existent as presumably Becker believe that they are universal across all O/S's.

Using the XP laptop is not a long term option for me so I am still looking for a solution to get the MP working with Windows 7 and 8 (64 bit). Does anyone have any suggestions I could try. Note that I have tried all of those already mentioned in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Just a thought is there any anti virus or spyware software on the computer/s that could be blocking a connection?

Might be worth disabling any if there just to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom