Conservatories ... Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having seen all the local conservatories with their blinds down, I opted to put ours on the north wall, but extend a couple of feet beyond the house so that it gets a limited amount of sun. We don't have blinds and it never gets unbearably hot. We have dinner parties in there even in winter, with a plug-in oil-filled radiator. It's been a good investment for almost 20 years now, although we have recently had to replace a few panels where the seal had "blown" letting moisture in.

Good luck

Jon

Too hot in summer & too cold in winter with glass or polycarbonate roofs.
Pitched slate or tile best, possibly with triple glazed velux rooflights.
I've seen (but can't find a link at the moment) Pre-cast made to measure fibreglass flat roofs if height is a problem. They have a high gloss inner surface to reflect light around and a layer of high grade insulation sandwiched between the inner & outer skins. Structure sits on the window frames & is bolted/screwed to the house wall.
Also consider an air source heat pump with inverter technology. Will cover heating & cooling

…..dont extend the central heating into there it takes you into a whole new set of building regs and then you need planning permission and all the hassle that goes with it.

I didn't know that. My (ex) house had been built from new with the conservatory - so the building regs approval had been dealt with as part of the application for the new build.

I agree that polycarb roof can be noisy - but I used to like sitting in the warm conservatory listening to the rain…….

Consider bi fold or tri fold doors to access it from the house - they are more unobtrusive when open, giving a better "through room" feel.

I was thinking about having no doors between the house and conservatory. The one I looked at so far had great security.

Mine is a 5m x 4m and is used all year round mid summer and mid winter, you can get triple glazed polycarb roofing with clear insulation this keeps it cool in summer and hot in Winter. I fitted a small air con unit as well to chill it in summer, in winter I have a 3Kw oil filled radiator with timer and thermostat, between the conservatory and the house is a huge patio door when open the heat from the house central heating system balances with the oil filled rad to maintain the temp in winter and in summer the air con cools the ground floor too.

I also converted the ground floor to complete open plan took out the utility room made one massive kitchen, separated that from the dining area with a breakfast bar so I have one long room down stairs running from the front of the house, through the lounge into the dining room and then into the conservatory.

Great tip on sockets as many as you can but dont extend the central heating into there it takes you into a whole new set of building regs and then you need planning permission and all the hassle that goes with it.

Mine been done 6 years now and dont regret a minute of it, I thought about a tiled roof but you just lose too much light.

My experience FWIW

PS mine is South facing too

Like your thinking on knocking it all through ... We are thinking about something similar.

Too hot in summer & too cold in winter with glass or polycarbonate roofs.
Pitched slate or tile best, possibly with triple glazed velux rooflights.
I seen (but can't find a link at the moment) Pre-cast made to measure fibreglass flat roofs if height is a problem. They have a high gloss inner surface to reflect light around and a layer of high grade insulation sandwiched between the inner & outer skins. Structure sits on the window frames & is bolted/screwed to the house wall.
Also consider an air source heat pump with inverter technology. Will cover heating & cooling

Thanks ... Like the idea of air con heat pump thingy. We have an air con unit downstairs already and it would be nice to have. Could go on brick wall potentially.

Having seen all the local conservatories with their blinds down, I opted to put ours on the north wall, but extend a couple of feet beyond the house so that it gets a limited amount of sun. We don't have blinds and it never gets unbearably hot. We have dinner parties in there even in winter, with a plug-in oil-filled radiator. It's been a good investment for almost 20 years now, although we have recently had to replace a few panels where the seal had "blown" letting moisture in.

Good luck

Jon

Cheers Jon ... Would be ideal on the other side but our property isn't laid out like that unfortunately ... I have three foot on the north side sadly!

I was thinking about having no doors between the house and conservatory. The one I looked at so far had great security.

Not allowed. Conservatories of the type we are discussing are not recognised as proper rooms...you must have an external door between the house and the conservatory.

Not allowed. Conservatories of the type we are discussing are not recognised as proper rooms...you must have an external door between the house and the conservatory.

and should be unheated I believe

Correct!

Which brings us back to a garden room which, depending on design, can be open-plan with the rest of the house.

Apparently they are allowed if they come with some kind of building certificate. (Which this company who quoted last night supply)
Something to do with the conservatory matching building regs. I was surprised as thought like you it wasn't possible.

Oh dear ... Not good.

This thing last night has multi point Yale locks all over it and glazed from inside so safe as can be within reason. I think if so done wants in they could just as easy go through a window but security definitely top of mind.

I fall into the category of conservatory user who now wouldn't want to be without one. I have dwarf-wall conservatories in both of my houses and they were designed from the outset to be useable all year round.

One is 3.5 x 3.2, faces North East and has a bronze polycarbonate roof - keeps it cool enough in summer and it is warm enough in winter as it has a K2 CH radiator.

The other is 4.2 x 3.5, faces South West, has the same bronze polycarbonate roof but with the reflective foil inserts to keep the heat bearable in summer. It also has a K2 CH radiator which makes it usable all year.

Personally, I like the polycarbonate roofs rather than glass as you can hear the patter of the rain. Some people hate this, but I really like it - as with cars, each to their own. The occasional 'creaking' noise doesn't bother me at all.

I would completely endorse the comments about having enough power points (and a TV aeriel point) and good insulation. Installing a CH radiator is a good option to keep the place warm in winter. I didn't notice any real change in the heating bills as a result of the radiator in the conservatory. Admittedly, I don't use them quite as much in winter time, so turn the radiator thermostats down a bit, but it is amazing how warm they get even in winter sunshine. I also extended the burglar alarm circuit to cover the conservatory.

Neighbours a few doors down from me have converted their conservatory to a garden room with a solid roof. They love it, but I preferred it as a conservatory - again, each to their own.

It is definitely worth asking to view conservatories built by the company you choose. The competence of the team putting it together is at least as important the quality of the materials. In car terms, simply buying the same toolkit as the chief mechanic doesn't make you as good as the chief mechanic! I used a local company for my conservatories and have been really pleased with the result - I found them via personal recommendations.

Do your homework and you'll be delighted with the end result :)

I fall into the category of conservatory user who now wouldn't want to be without one. I have dwarf-wall conservatories in both of my houses and they were designed from the outset to be useable all year round.

One is 3.5 x 3.2, faces North East and has a bronze polycarbonate roof - keeps it cool enough in summer and it is warm enough in winter as it has a K2 CH radiator.

The other is 4.2 x 3.5, faces South West, has the same bronze polycarbonate roof but with the reflective foil inserts to keep the heat bearable in summer. It also has a K2 CH radiator which makes it usable all year.

Personally, I like the polycarbonate roofs rather than glass as you can hear the patter of the rain. Some people hate this, but I really like it - as with cars, each to their own. The occasional 'creaking' noise doesn't bother me at all.

I would completely endorse the comments about having enough power points (and a TV aeriel point) and good insulation. Installing a CH radiator is a good option to keep the place warm in winter. I didn't notice any real change in the heating bills as a result of the radiator in the conservatory. Admittedly, I don't use them quite as much in winter time, so turn the radiator thermostats down a bit, but it is amazing how warm they get even in winter sunshine. I also extended the burglar alarm circuit to cover the conservatory.

Neighbours a few doors down from me have converted their conservatory to a garden room with a solid roof. They love it, but I preferred it as a conservatory - again, each to their own.

It is definitely worth asking to view conservatories built by the company you choose. The competence of the team putting it together is at least as important the quality of the materials. In car terms, simply buying the same toolkit as the chief mechanic doesn't make you as good as the chief mechanic! I used a local company for my conservatories and have been really pleased with the result - I found them via personal recommendations.

Do your homework and you'll be delighted with the end result :)

Thanks for your advice ... I think some companies have showrooms also so will see what I can find.
It will be below my bedroom so the polycarbonate might not be a good idea but I don't think I will get too hung up on it. Going to explore the tiled roof options anyway I think.
I want to double check the no internal doors/building certificate thing out also before going much further.

I've a 4 x 6.5m conservatory at the rear of my London townhouse. It runs the entire width of the house, nearly. 30mm polycarbonate roof and floor to ceiling glass walls, frosted glass on the sides, has power and TV points as well.

A heated wood floor and small oil radiator on for an hour warms it up in winter, and opening the French doors to the garden in summer cools it down. I am considering replacing the roof with the new tiled/insulated ones though, even if I like the sound of rain on it. I feel that it would be even more usable as it can be proper hot if the doors are closed in summer.

What sort of prices do these roofs cost?

Anyway, whatever happened to the word 'Rooves'? It used to in the dictionary, I'm sure.

I've a 4 x 6.5m conservatory at the rear of my London townhouse. It runs the entire width of the house, nearly. 30mm polycarbonate roof and floor to ceiling glass walls, frosted glass on the sides, has power and TV points as well.

A heated wood floor and small oil radiator on for an hour warms it up in winter, and opening the French doors to the garden in summer cools it down. I am considering replacing the roof with the new tiled/insulated ones though, even if I like the sound of rain on it. I feel that it would be even more usable as it can be proper hot if the doors are closed in summer.

What sort of prices do these roofs cost?

Not seen a price yet but one of the companies listed above is sending me a price list in the post so will report back!

I want to double check the no internal doors/building certificate thing out also before going much further.

These minor things are never a problem. Just build it to their silly regs then rip out the cheapo doors once their backs are turned. Same applies to a radiator. Pipe it up to just below the floor then fit it when they're gone. Once you have a building certificate they'll never be back and only an eagle eyed surveyor would notice if you ever came to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom