Copy of metal key cut?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRobin

Car
C200 W202 1998
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has managed to get a copy of the metal key blade cut by a locksmith (I have the type shown in the attached pic which slots into the fob)?

I tried one near me but he said the whole fob has to be replaced and will cost £200 ish. My fob works fine I just wanted a copy of the metal blade but he said that isn't possible?

Any one had any luck doing this?

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• merc my key.jpg
    merc my key.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 10
I can't say for definite mate, but a good locksmith should be able to make a copy of just the metal part, however I guess that most would want a blank to work from as it would be easier for them, but it's all dependant on the ability of the locksmith

Metal keys are available from MB for around £25, you will need your V5 and photographic i.d. to order one.

The fob alone is circa £220 from MB

Thanks guys. I might give MB a call.

By the way, I popped into a Timpsons at lunchtime and they said they didn't have the blanks but another branch would be able to do it.

AndyRobin said:
Thanks guys. I might give MB a call. By the way, I popped into a Timpsons at lunchtime and they said they didn't have the blanks but another branch would be able to do it.

That's good, timpsons are pretty spot on, and do great work :)

Thanks that's good to hear! £6 is a bargain, hopefully the one near'ish to me will be able to do it.

Get it from Mercedes, I found the copied key does not work as well. So I ended up buying one from the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom