Cordless Lawnmower?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spinaltap

Car
A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
I'm considering buying a cordless/battery lawnmower, and initially focused on the Bosch Rotak 43Li.

However, I see that Stihl (under the Viking brand) produce the MA443 - which is based on their petrol MB 4 Series.

Does anyone have real-world knowledge of either product, and who can indicate their positive and negative (if any) experience?

I have the Bosch. After using it for a few times it stopped working and had to be sent for a warranty repair. 6 weeks later it came back from Bosch with a new circuit board. With this we ran it for a couple of times and put it in the storage for winter. It is certainly a very capable and easy to use lawn mower but it doesn't appear to be very reliable!

My cordless lawnmowers are wonderful. As long as I keep them topped up with petrol, that is. Mind you, £400 plus seems a big price to save a bit of unleaded……… especially if reliability is less than 100%

I highly recommend the Honda "IZY" mowers - relatively quiet, far cheaper, and mine are almost 10 years old (I have 3) and they are used on a caravan park to cut 3 acres around caravans. So far, excellent reliability - a service & blade sharpen every 2-3 years is all the tlc they need, and they start first tug - even in the spring.

Last edited:
Best cordless lawnmower is a traditional manual push-mower.

Anything with a Honda engine is my idea of cordless :D

We have the Bosch mower, 3yrs, great bit of kit. Light easy to manouver or carry. Charge easily lasts both lawns and copes easily with long grass.

My cordless lawnmowers are wonderful. As long as I keep them topped up with petrol, that is. Mind you, £400 plus seems a big price to save a bit of unleaded……… especially if reliability is less than 100%.

I have a disability and want the lightweight manoeuvrability of a cordless/battery mower. I have read some reviews elsewhere on the suitability of the Bosch, but I'm also researching the relevant merits of Viking, Ryobi and Greenworks.

I have a disability and want the lightweight manoeuvrability of a cordless/battery mower. I have read some reviews elsewhere on the suitability of the Bosch, but I'm also researching the relevant merits of Viking, Ryobi and Greenworks.

Honda do a self-propelled machine which I used before needing a sit-on. Can recommend it. No pushing:thumb:

I have a disability and want the lightweight manoeuvrability of a cordless/battery mower.…....

Honda do a self-propelled machine which I used before needing a sit-on. Can recommend it. No pushing:thumb:

I didn't realise that the OP had a disability - and even a self-powered mower has a pull cord to start the motor. With this in mind, I can see why a cordless electric mower is the right choice.

Alternatively a sit-on could be a good idea - one with electric start - and it could even double as a mobility scooter in an emergency :D:D:D

I didn't realise that the OP had a disability - and even a self-powered mower has a pull cord to start the motor. With this in mind, I can see why a cordless electric mower is the right choice.

Alternatively a sit-on could be a good idea - one with electric start - and it could even double as a mobility scooter in an emergency :D:D:D

I'm beginning to sound lika a Honda advert, but they do a self propelled mower with electric start.

I'm beginning to sound lika a Honda advert, but they do a self propelled mower with electric start.

This could be a good solution for the OP - certainly worth considering. Don't worry about sounding like a Honda advert - I'm a fan too!

spinaltap said:
Not funny, dude!

It was meant to be funny - sorry if it offended.

My Belko is cordless but that is because I ran over and cut the cable in two recently!

Sold a Bosch mower a few years back
The batteries ended up being replaced under warranty.
And again after the warranty expired.
Bosch charge top money for their batteries and as this is a consumable element to the purchase it's well worth checking out costs before you buy

Get someone else to do it, the wife does ours.

Can any battery 'experts' answer this?...

The Bosch uses is a 36v 2.6A battery, while the Ryobi uses a 36v 4.0A battery.

Some reviews I've read bemoan the abilities of the Bosch battery.

Presumably, the 4.0A battery is the more powerful (?) even though both batteries are 36v.

It will depend on the motor for power but what that is telling you is the Ryobi can supply more power so will last longer, battery capacity is normally measured in Ampere Hours.

My Belko is cordless but that is because I ran over and cut the cable in two recently!

No - that means it's now bi-corded :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom