Corrosion decision by MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
Just had the decision regarding the corrosion claim that I submitted last August and they convieniently "lost" the paperwork and digital images and denied all knowledge of my visits or phine calls.

They have offered to rectify corrosion to:

Around the boot lock
O.S.R wheel arch
N.S.F. wing
O.S.F wing

No mention of the "rot" inside of the spare wheel well or the rust to the inside suspension turetts on both sides.
Now get this, Mercdes Benz have offered to pay 55% of the cost of the above leaving a cost payable by myself of £704.37 including V.A.T.

What planet are they on, they are really taking the mickey, I have waited for 9 months for this decision and I had also spoken to a sales rep as I was considering purchasing a brand new CLK through the company that I own depending on the outcome of this, now I know what MB think about their customers and I will not touch a MB again overall it has been a bad experience and if they think they are going to get any money from me they can go and take a running jump !

The dealer has now rang me twice enquiring if I will be booking in my car for body repairs, basically MB are not interested in the rusty boot well, inside suspension turetts or the door pillar only what they normally repair regardless of any warranties, he even advised me to get the car repaired elsewhere as he would not be happy paying for the deal that I have been offered if it was his car. Did you know that the modern cars do not rust anymore and all build and quality issues have been rectified in recent years, hahahahah................

New slogan for the advertising campaign.

"Do you miss and reminisce about the 70's, well buy a Mercedes Benz and it will rust like a 1970's Austin Allegro"

Very,very angry.

Is there nothing further you can do on the matter?

It sounds to me like you got an extremely bad deal, but hearing your story and my own recent bad experience which is still on going, I have to agree with you that Mercedes is the bottom of my list for a new car. Dont they know that its 5 times easier to sell a car to a current customer then it is to attract another away from a competitor. What happened to good ol CRM? probably went down the drain when corporate sales because more important to the dealer then us little people who only buy one car at a time. lol.

Zishan

I have now rung head office about mine.
They said they would contact me in 3 days or less.
Today is day 2.
Will wait and see :rolleyes:

Last edited:
GRAV888 said:
I have now rung head office about mine.
They said they would contact me in 3 days or less.
Today is day 2.
Will wait and see :rolleyes:

Any luck? Mine's in for the first inspection this Saturday, and I expect a good fight with MBUK head office afterwards....

Do you think mercedes will look at my 1996 c class? I have a bit of rust around the wheel arches

rees_A said:
Do you think mercedes will look at my 1996 c class? I have a bit of rust around the wheel arches

They may look at it but I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for an answer. "ah a 1996 model, nice car but unfortunatley Sir....................................." I will leave the forum members to fill in the rest.

Merc808 said:
Dear Ian B Walker,
what year did Mercedes start to offer paint warranties ?

It's worth searching for others' experiences on this forum, as mentioned above.

In 1998 they started to offer a 30 year anti-perforation warranty; prior to this it was 1 year. Cynics may suggest that the 30 year warranty is linked to the need to increase dealer revenues through annual inspections.

However, there are discretionary repairs based on known paint quality issues on the 202 and 210 series. Preferably you have a 1-owner car with full MBSH.

tim.mcd said:
Any luck? Mine's in for the first inspection this Saturday, and I expect a good fight with MBUK head office afterwards....

Nothing from MB head office (Just gonna ring them again)

Had 1 phone call from Brabus Kent (who took the photos etc) and they said it should be dealt with within 4 weeks.
Ummmmmmm????????
That makes it 6 months :mad:

Just rang them again and got a woman who was remaining very calm, although you could tell she was thinking "bugger off customer". :rolleyes:
Outcome??????????
SOD ALL :mad:
Told them they have 1 week from today to sort it out or I'm gonna get in touch with Top Gear and tell the country about the rust issues and the lack of urgence from MB. :crazy:

So, anyone know the number for JC? :devil:
Watch this space ;) :cool:

It is worth remembering that I had the same response from MB regarding my rusty tailgate. I was fobbed off and pushed from pillar to post until my patience was worn away. I then went along to MB with print-outs from this forum on all the rust issues threads, a case study of several other members cars with similar rust problems with photos and a draft solicitors letter and a draft letter to Watchdog.

When I was in the managers office the conversation soon went from "no service history, what do you expect from a 5 year old car and well it is an import!!!" to "when can you drop it in and do you need a courtesy car!!"

Don't underestimate the power of MBClub UK, it worked for me.

It worked for me too, on my 1997 W210
I wouldn't have even tried, had it not been for the information and feedback from this forum.

My car (2000 CLK 320) is currently in to have rust warranty work carried out. Usual places - wheel arches but also the roof(3 patches). I have very similar rust outbreaks on drivers door but they said this was stone chips and not covered. I thought I would quit while ahead and not push it as they said that in this instance MB were waiving any contribution from myself. It took the dealership 3 months to come to a decision but there was little fight about the warranty. I had a full MBSH except 1. I am abit worried that other places will rust.

Aarrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!! :mad:
Took my back seat out today (cos a fuse blew for the rear lights) and guess what?
The floor pan where the battery goes, is rusty too.
Not just a little bit of rust, but a lot.
I reckon, if I pushed a screwdriver hard enough, it would go through. :eek:
Back on the phone tomorrow...........AGAIN :rolleyes:

Greame, you really have to kick some @ss. This has been going on too long, having seen the rust issues you have I think Mb should just go ahead and do it and save themselves a whole heap of problems.

I agree, but I have even gone to 'elevation' (the complaints dept to complain about the complaints dept) now.
MB rang me yesterday and offered me an 05 CLS 55 AMG on long term demo, if I surrendered my car to them.
I reckon they are worried about the damage Top Gear might do to them, if they take up my case.
You never know, I might even say yes and get it in time for Clumber :devil:

Merc808 said:
Dear Ian B Walker,
what year did Mercedes start to offer paint warranties ?
To be honest mate I dont have a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom