Corrosion warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godfrey

Car
211 320cdi Elegance estate, Soon to be sold RR Vouge, Defender, Triumph Daytona and Thunderbird
Please excuse the possibly daft question as I haven't owned a Mercedes since my 1986 230 estate which did get a bit of corrosion under the bonnet.

I thought I saw somewhere that newer cars have galvanised panels and an incredible length of warranty. Can anyone elaborate on this and tell me what is involved?

The car I have bought is a rust free 2007 E320 estate with full MBSH. would this have galvanised panels?

It will have galvanised body panels. Check for warranty details in with your handbook, as an example my 2007 Vito has a 12 years on bodywork.

I thought I saw somewhere that newer cars have galvanised panels and an incredible length of warranty. Can anyone elaborate on this and tell me what is involved?

The car I have bought is a rust free 2007 E320 estate with full MBSH. would this have galvanised panels?

ISTR that it was stated on this forum that all cars galvanised from 2004. Prior to that date it depends on model and where at was made.

W211s are reasonable in terms of rust. IME it's the little trim parts that show cosmetic signs - the little roof rail tab covers and the rear boot trim. The boot lid and bonnet are aluminium.

The corrosion warranty is of limited value. Basically to make a claim you will need to have kept the car dealer serviced and if you do claim chances are it will be done on a goodwill basis rather than under warranty (so they're not admitting responsibility they're doing you a favour). More than one claim on a panel is unlikely to be upheld - so if something recurs you're on your own. If the panel has been resprayed to cover (they check the paint thickness) other damage such as a scuff or accident they almost certainly won't help. And if they offer a part payment under goodwill to get it done at a MB approved bodyshop the chances are you'd spend the same getting it done at a decent bodyshop without their contribution.

The most frequent corrosion / wear related complaint on a W211 is probably the front springs. They tend to go bang in the night.

They're very very good cars.

Thank you for your input Dryce.

"The most frequent corrosion / wear related complaint on a W211 is probably the front springs. They tend to go bang in the night."

Had that on the 320d BM too so nothing new there. Perhaps it's a German thing!

Thank you for your input Dryce.

"The most frequent corrosion / wear related complaint on a W211 is probably the front springs. They tend to go bang in the night."

Had that on the 320d BM too so nothing new there. Perhaps it's a German thing!

No, springs going boing in the night is a universal thing, my old Rover 75 had both fronts go..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom