Costco membership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

springer

Car
no car
Hi All,
Anyone out there who has costco membership can give me some guide prices for tyres and oil, the saving over high street would also be helpful.
also what variety of oils do they stock.
I am considering membership but this would be my main reason for using costco as I have three vehicles to maintain.

Regards

Springer

Hi, Im unsure of exact costs but the oil for the DB9 was about £48 instead of £200 at stratstones, if you are ever on merseyside Im happy to meet you and we can get whatever you want if you treat me to a hot dog - I love them hot dogs ....

Agreed, Oil is very cheap, £20 plus vat for 4 ltrs Mobil 1
Tyres, always some kind of deal on Michelins if you buy two or four.
Tyres work out cheaper than anywhere else normally.

Same goes here, Sheffield costco, happy to meet you there, but will cost you two hotties and a slice of pizza and a coffee.

Variety is not a Costco stgrong point. We find it worth the membership fee though.

Variety on brand is not huge but where else can you get a 6ft high toy soldier and authentic beef jerky with your oil and tyres :) Im musing over the 5ft by 5ft LED xmas bells .......

And the cheese and ham are great ............. but keep away from the bakery or you will put on pounds....and pounds..:D

The Bosch batteries are a bargain too, but a lot of the electronics can be found cheaper by shopping round on the web (wouldn't know about the TVs though).

Agreed, Oil is very cheap, £20 plus vat for 4 ltrs Mobil 1
Tyres, always some kind of deal on Michelins if you buy two or four.
Tyres work out cheaper than anywhere else normally.

Correct on the oil. It's been the same price for several years.

On tyres, they tend to only have special deals a couple of times per year, with the deals lasting for a month. Last couple of times it's been 20% off if you bought 4 tyres. It's worth noting it can be any 4 tyres so you could by a pair each for 2 cars. You can also (as I did) buy 4 but only have 2 fitted and then take the other pair back to be fitted when needed.

They only sell Michelin and without the special deal they're about the same price as the best indie or cheapest online places.

One thing to be aware of is that they are pretty rigid on fitting new tyres to the back if you only need 2 tyres. If you have a Merc with a staggered setup which prevents them from swapping back to front then they will only fit new front's on their own if the back's are nearly new.

Last edited:
One thing to be aware of is that they are pretty rigid on fitting new tyres to the back if you only need 2 tyres. If you have a Merc with a staggered setup which prevents them from swapping back to front then they will only fit new front's on their own if the back's are nearly new.[/QUOTE]

What's the thinking behind that?

What's the thinking behind that?

Allegedly, it's safer for your car to understeer, with bald fronts, than oversteer with bald rears.

Hi, Im unsure of exact costs but the oil for the DB9 was about £48 instead of £200 at stratstones, if you are ever on merseyside Im happy to meet you and we can get whatever you want if you treat me to a hot dog - I love them hot dogs ....[/QUOT

Being a fellow foodie, I too can vouch for the superb hotdogs at Costco-knocks spots off the 'dowgs' at Ikea!!

You asked about variety. In addition to the Mobil 1 they also sell Castrol Magnatec and Chevron oils. Can't say that I've ever looked at the prices though - Mobil 1 is a no-brainer at £20 plus VAT.

With regards to savings, I had my car serviced on Friday, and the bill was £90 less having supplied my own oil than I was orginally quoted - it cost me £46, so that's about half price-ish.

I saved a little more previously and so either the oil has come down in price slightly or things like the batteries for the remotes weren't included in the with-oil quotes I received ahead of the service.

Trouble with costco is that you can't get out without spending 200 quid. so that £20 oil is not that cheap after the carrot cake, and the steaks and the beer, and and and!!:rolleyes:

excellent place - well worth it!

mmmmm! Carrot cake :ban:

Trouble with costco is that you can't get out without spending 200 quid. so that £20 oil is not that cheap after the carrot cake, and the steaks and the beer, and and and!!:rolleyes:

excellent place - well worth it!

mmmmm! Carrot cake :ban:

They do great apple pie too! And Costco's meat is excellent.

It's absolutely true about buying stuff that you didn't know you needed until you saw it!

Also massively cheaper for 'kitchen chemicals' - dishwasher tabs, laundry liquid etc. Always a solid three figure bill when I visit - too many things to buy!

Castrol GTX 'High Mileage' is something like £10 +VAT for four litres in Costco , approx £20 inc VAT in Halfords for exactly the same bottle .

It differs from standard GTX in that it does not have all the detergents that wash away coke deposits and possibly reduce compression ratio .

does anyone know when Costco do their tyres deals?

I need 265/35 19 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N1 (x2)

I think it's a matter of phoning from time to time. They've been more expensive than my local supplier each time I've tried.

The last book of vouchers included a tyre deal (August), so guessing from previous form it'll be the next but one set of offers.
I'll try to remember to post when they do (but age and probability are against me).
30 posts ! :thumb:
Ian.

Love Costco

Nothing is too much trouble, no quibble refunds.

Oils very good value, only Michelin tyres but competitively priced.

Agree about the food - £200 minimum!

The steaks are truly wonderful.

And the Lamb

And the pork

And the fish

And the cheese

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom