Could you sign the petition please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Not a stupid one this time , but quite an important one IMO.

Much appreciated.

RADIOS BILL MAY SCUPPER RNLI

Lifeboat crews fear being scuppered by crippling new charges for using their radios from Ofcom, the communications regulator. The RNLI could see the price of using its VHF emergency frequencies rise to £250,000 under plans to charge the full commercial rate.

The charity, which saves hundreds of lives every year currently, pays an annual £48,000 at a discounted rate of 50 per cent. It relies on donations and fears the move will have a disastrous impact on fundraising. Peter Bradley, RNLI operations staff officer, said: 'It's a lot of money when you think in terms of lifeboat days and little old ladies collecting pound coins.'

'We could buy several inshore lifeboats for the same amount.'

'The Government rely on us to provide this search-and-rescue service, at a cost of £124 million a year, but they want to charge us for doing it!'

Ofcom has set out plans to bring 'market forces' into maritime and civil aviation communications in a policy it calls Administered Incentive Pricing. £250,000 represents an awful lot of charity collections, even more so in the current economic climate so, if like me you feel strongly enough about this, please sign the petition below.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/RNLI-RF-licences/

Many thanks indeed everyone.

H

Done.

It sickens me that a nation surrounded by water still has to rely on a volunteer lifeboat system.

I have huge respect for the guys who go out and do this, true heroes.

Done

Have been on a yacht without a rudder and owe a lot to them...

Done.

Frankly I hope the desk pilot who though this one up has a boating incident.

Why oh why does our country do these stupid things - all in the name of money eh? Makes me rather annoyed that is all we are to the numpties!

Done.

It sickens me that a nation surrounded by water still has to rely on a volunteer lifeboat system.

Done

From personal experience the volunteer system used by the RNLI works extremely well (local knowledge and plenty of volunteers etc) and probably the best way of effectively covering our huge coastline - but its funding does leaves a lot to be desired (apologies if this is what you meant MercFanUk). Total respect and admiration for sure.

Done with pleasure and ditto to the above comments.

done and thanks for bringing this to the forum

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the aims of the petition, I would draw you to the attenion of the floowing lifted from the RNLI's website.... Follow the link and it seems that OFCOM are offering the RNLI a single user licence that will cost around £20,000. The petition may thus be superfluous unless I have got the wrong end of the stick?.

20 October 2008 – OFCOM’s consultation update

OFCOM published an update to its consultation on AIP for the maritime and aeronautical sectors in which it stated, ‘The RNLI may see its charges fall as a result of our proposal to offer a single, lower-cost licence for multiple users.’ For details, see www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/aip/update201008

Thats an interesting bit of reading , and one i was unaware of ....

Lots of 'may' and 'could' in it , but on the face of it , it looks promising.

If it is the case , indeed , the petition could be unnecessary.

Signed anyway. Still good to keep the pressure on.
My dad's a huge fan of the RNLI and I couldn't believe it when he told me it was run on donations only!!:crazy:

Signed even if the charge is £20,000 and not £250,00, it is still a poor example of the governments concern for the common man.

£billions to banks who created their own downfall. Must stop, getting too political but so annoyed at the whole thing.

The system works fantastically, but it amazes me that the government doesn't pay for it all.

If they did they would want to control it and then it would go t*ts up. The RNLI is happy to be funded by donation rather than government.

They should exempt bodies such as the RNLI and Mountain Rescue from these charges after all they are not just a drop in the ocean for charitable organisations.

Actually by warped logic I 'm rather proud that we do it this way. There is a fine and honourable tradition. It makes the RNLI very very special.

I still remember the Fraserburgh boat in 1970.

Done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom