Council to sue driver for wheelspin damage to road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
North Yorkshire County Council will sue a driver who damaged the road surface by doing wheelspins at a car gathering.

A driver who caused thousands of pounds worth of damage by performing wheel spins will have to pay for road repairs, a council official has said.

The road was damaged during a car meet-up on Sunday.

David Bowe, from the council, said they would pursue the £50,000 repair costs from the driver in a civil claim.

Emergency repair work is under way because to rectify the damage caused by the wheel spins, which has shredded part of the road's surface.

Justified or not?

Yup.

Cause and effect.

maxresdefault.jpg

"This individual has got to understand that they have caused wanton damage to public property and that can't be tolerated by the residents of North Yorkshire."
Sums it up for me. The Council are correct. They had just completed the works when this guy decided to deliberately tear it up. That is pure and simple, vandalism.

Agreed

Shoe on the other foot though.....pothole damage....?

Agreed

Shoe on the other foot though.....pothole damage....?
Yup. But the Council will/have argue that they had just repaired 'pot hole' damage when Matey arrived on the scene, tearing it all back up again.

There's something about this 'story' that doesn't ring true.

Why would a car enthusiast deliberately churn up a road surface in that way?

The debris flying around would surely damage his own car or those behind him.

Doesn't sound like any car enthusiast that I know.

Yup. But the Council will/have argue that they had just repaired 'pot hole' damage when Matey arrived on the scene, tearing it all back up again.
Probably not a 'car enthusiast' at all? Just some eejit that turns up and burns rubber, believing it to be a cool thing to do.

Large builders yard near where I live. Articulated trucks arrive before the place opens and park half on the pavement. Subsequently the pavement surface is now concave and the puddles freeze making it lethal for pedestrians.
Years ago the trucks stopped coming before opening time due to pressure from local residents.
The footpath has not been repaired, and probably never will be.

200 yards up the road people refurbing their rather large property had a tracked vehicle (360 digger) off loaded in the summertime and it chewed the soft road surface up.

That was about 5 years ago...still the same. Local councils normally do nothing. This fool was unlucky to spin his wheels in a county that has a council that actually cares !

Agree with Bruce driver just sounds like an idiot.

I don’t really associate a car enthusiast with someone who wants to wheel spin on public roads.

Mind you I could be wrong, could not get mine to wheel spin like this anyway, plus I’m too mean to keep replacing tyres.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect that there's a little more to this than meets the eye. As far as I can make out I can make out Royal Albert Drive in Scarborough is in essence their "sea front" and thus serves as a tourist attraction. If this has become a regular venue for " car enthusiasts" ;) to exhibit their pride and joy's prowess/power I would imagine screaming engine and clouds of tyre smoke might not sit well with a certain demographic who have come to enjoy some seaside tranquility and bracing sea breezes? Complaints will no doubt have been made in high places and a possible threat to visitor revenues envisaged. Hence the action. It does seem perverse that the rate payers of Scarborough would be asked to indirectly subsidise an activity that might be driving their tourist revenues away.:confused:

Who says that it was his car ?

"David Bowe, from the council, said they would pursue some of the £50,000 repair costs from the driver in a civil claim."

I think the operative word here is "some" - they'll be lucky to get a couple of hundred quid and quite possibly nothing at all.

Scarborough attracts a very different kind of car enthusiasts, and lots of them.

"David Bowe, from the council, said they would pursue some of the £50,000 repair costs from the driver in a civil claim."

I think the operative word here is "some" - they'll be lucky to get a couple of hundred quid and quite possibly nothing at all.

They could seize his car?

Agree with Bruce driver just sounds like an idiot.

I don’t really associate a car enthusiast with someone who wants to wheel spin on public roads.

Mind you I could be wrong, could not get mine to wheel spin like this anyway, plus I’m too mean to keep replacing tyres.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree Robin,

I also think about the tyres. Best time for people like us is deserted snow covered car parks. However, careful of the potholes/lowered grids under the snow. A buckled wheel will be just as costly as a replacement tyre. :(

You are, your car certainly has the power to smoke the rear tyres on bone dry warm tarmac. Mine does and it's got less power and less than half the torque. :cool:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom