Count Arthur Strong. BBC 2 Monday 8th of July.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
After years of "Un-bloody believable" success on BBC Radio 4, Count Arthur Strong finally gets his chance to shine in his own TV series which starts on Monday 8th of July on BBC 2 at 8.30pm. LINK.

Put this in your diary in "Thriplicate" and he's sure to make you an offer he can't refuse. :thumb:

Will be interesting to see if it makes a successful transition to the intense unforgiving glare of television. In some ways it has the same humour as the classic Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights and that's a hard act to follow.

Will be interesting to see if it makes a successful transition to the intense unforgiving glare of television. In some ways it has the same humour as the classic Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights and that's a hard act to follow.

I agree. The radio shows are superb, but I have a fear that the TV series may fall flat on its face because for the majority of viewers it will be their first taste of The Count and I'm not certain that many will "click" with the humour straight away. :(

Here's hoping... :)

I'd also be concerned about the move to tv, Harry Hill when doing his radio show was hilarious though since moving to TV its not had the same impact.

Just watched the first couple of episodes on iPlayer :thumb:

Thoroughly enjoyable, and nice to see Barry Cryer in it, as well as the older chap who toured with him (name escapes me, but he played Private Pike's understudy when they came to Worcester).

Made my night - cheers :)

I haven't yet watched the latest episode, but up to now I don't find it as funny as the radio show.
I think omitting Malcolm, Wilf the Butcher, Sally, and Gerry from the caf'e is a mistake. It is like starting all over again. However, I suspect Delaney's hand may have been forced on that score.

Granted, but perhaps there were difficulties in retaining the same cast. Just glad he made it back on to the silver screen... Been a long time since Bridge Up The River Kwai ;)

Granted, but perhaps there were difficulties in retaining the same cast. Just glad he made it back on to the silver screen... Been a long time since Bridge Up The River Kwai ;)

Rumour has it that he may or may nort be, the erm, next host of Homes Under the Hammock. :D

Watching it now...

I haven't yet watched the latest episode, but up to now I don't find it as funny as the radio show.
I think omitting Malcolm, Wilf the Butcher, Sally, and Gerry from the caf'e is a mistake. It is like starting all over again. However, I suspect Delaney's hand may have been forced on that score.

I agree, but the third episode is an improvement, he is back on character...

Not a fan, I'm afraid. Have listened in a number of times on the radio and raised nary a smile. Watched some on the TV, and ditto. Lots of 'jokes' about which lady, obviously more senior and professional than him, were going to make the tea. Ho hum. For me, even comedy has to have some reference point to real life, and with CAS I just don't get it; I just see it as ridiculous rather than comedic. But he's obviously got a following so good luck to him. As we often say on here, I've always got the option of the channel select button :D

Last night show was the best yet, as with most new series it takes a while to get into its stride and I think CAS is now reaching that point, the radio show always has me laughing out loud.......the TV version is getting closer now.

Last episode was a cracker. I think its the contrast of jogging along with the seemingly mundane dialogue and then suddenly you are impaled with several barbs of sublime humour. The flushing the salmon down the toilet and free willy joke was the highlight for me.:D

Last episode was a cracker. I think its the contrast of jogging along with the seemingly mundane dialogue and then suddenly you are impaled with several barbs of sublime humour. The flushing the salmon down the toilet and free willy joke was the highlight for me.:D

It was an improvement on the first two episodes and as already said, it's getting better. :D

RW,

Just realised - Barry Cryer did not appear on the TV show. Apologies.

Been wondering where that notion came from. But.... I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

RW,

Just realised - Barry Cryer did not appear on the TV show. Apologies.

Been wondering where that notion came from. But.... I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

I thought I saw Barry Cryer appear on the "Memorial Episode" a couple of weeks ago?

I thought I saw Barry Cryer appear on the "Memorial Episode" a couple of weeks ago?
You're quite right! He started the speech at the wake - I must have been having a senior moment during my retraction :rolleyes:

Was a little disappointed by this evening's episode, I don't mind admitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom