Courtesy car - how will this work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi,

My red car is being resprayed under warranty.

I was told it'd be between 2 and 3 weeks for the work to be done. Later I was given the 18th as the date they're aiming to have the work done by, but this is only a day over 2 weeks, which is right on target from their original two to three weeks estimation.

I've had to go darn sarf with work and might not be back until early to mid next week, which is still within their original timeframe, but potentially not within their revised timeframe of this Friday.

What will happen if they ring me on Friday and tell me it's ready for collection, if I tell them I'm away and can't really practically collect the car, returning their courtesy car until maybe Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning?

Thanks.

I guess they will charge you for the extra days car hire

Why not call them and explain the situation?

Sometimes courtesy cars are booked back to back with other customers.
I had a car that I had to return for another customer who was booked in.

If the car isn't booked back to back and they have spare cars in the pool, then I can't see any reason why they can't extend your loan.

I'd call them and explain anyway but...

They are carrying out work on your car to rectify a manufacturers defect. If the defect hadn't been there, they wouldn't need your car for 2-3 weeks and you would have used it for your essential work trip at short notice. You are telling them out of courtesy but you MAY be away when the car is complete. They can't charge you if it overlaps and i wouldn't even put the thought in their minds.

If you delayed the trip until Monday as you thought the car would be ready, would the garage compensate you if your car wasn't ready and you lost business??

I'd call them and explain anyway but...

They are carrying out work on your car to rectify a manufacturers defect. If the defect hadn't been there, they wouldn't need your car for 2-3 weeks and you would have used it for your essential work trip at short notice. You are telling them out of courtesy but you MAY be away when the car is complete. They can't charge you if it overlaps and i wouldn't even put the thought in their minds.

If you delayed the trip until Monday as you thought the car would be ready, would the garage compensate you if your car wasn't ready and you lost business??

Of course they could.

Did they revise the date after you'd already taken the courtesy car? If they're the ones moving the goalposts it puts them on the back foot.

In any event it's worth giving them a call and explaining your position, IME courtesy cars are in demand so they may well assume that you're going to bring the car back on the Friday if yours is ready. Better to give them the heads up now and give them a chance to make other arrangements before they book the courtesy car out again. Or they could lend yours out for a few days instead - kidding! ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

Hi, Gaz.

Yeah, originally it was "two to three weeks", from the lady who took my keys, gave me theirs and took me around the courtesy car, signing forms, etc.

The bodyshop guy then called and mentioned the 18th as the date they're hoping to get it done by. That is almost tomorrow now (wed night) and I've heard nothing. So if they do call me tomorrow (thurs) saying it's done or will be, can I collect it Friday, it's a bit short notice... So hopefully it'll run over into next week naturally which will suit me, as I'll be back by mid week.

Thanks all. I've never had a courtesy car before so wanted to know what the score is...

Both personally and via my business I have had several courtesy cars, the most recent an AMG GT-S while some warranty work was carried out on the ML. If you are away with work, take it back when you get back. That's it. Whoever is supplying the warranty is covering the hire cost, not the garage. Provided you don't take the mick, can't see the problem.

It's MB who's doing the work under warranty, in their own bodyshop (not an approved nearby one) and it's an MB dealership, I don't know if that makes a difference...

I can't wait to get my car back to be honest.

The call arrived. She said the car's done and ready for collection. I explained that I'm in London with work for a few days, and that it'll be midweek before I can collect it. She said that's fine. I said I'd phone them on Monday as I'll have a better idea of when I'll be back then, and she didn't bat an eyelid.

Seems I was worrying over nothing.

So wish I could collect it now. :D

Me too. Listers Mercedes at Lincoln. Their customer service is excellent.

My dealership is Sandown in Guildford (aka Mercedes-Benz of Guildford). I've had a few problems over the last 4 years but they've always worked with me to get them resolved. I'm a realist and don't expect items as complicated as cars and the technology packed into them to be perfect all the time, but it's the way that the dealership approaches the problem that can make a huge difference to customer satisfaction.

So I got my car!

I collected it today, so quite a bit over the original date. I wanted Friday, but the bodyshop team weren't in, so that's their problem. No issues, I put over 1000 miles on it too, took it over 10k. Saved me a fortune on fuel if it'd have been my car. I was averaging 60mpg on journeys I'd struggle to average half of that. :D

Which car did they give you as a courtesy vehicle ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom