Courtesy car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DannyHall

Car
C63 Premium
Car is in for it's first service next week and i'm wondering what the usual etiquette is for the courtesy car choice? Like for like?

I'm driving home from Germany for a week to get it done so don't want to waste a day waiting around for it to get done.

Also, whilst cleaning it I chipped a bit of the CLA45 badge off and when asked to replace it they said they will give me a price quote, should I be pushing for this to be thrown in due to the price quote for service being £461?

£461 sounds a lot for its first service...........is that an "A" service at 10/12k miles?

RR

Just noted your location you taking it to MB Teesside? I live in Darlington and have used MB Teesside and Sunderland but they're both Sytner so similar price/service.

I also supply my own oil to cut costs, the V8s take around 9 litres but I don't know what the 4 cylinder cars take.

You usually get a C Class from them, but I normally have the car picked up and dropped off.

RR

Car is in for it's first service next week and i'm wondering what the usual etiquette is for the courtesy car choice? Like for like?

I'm driving home from Germany for a week to get it done so don't want to waste a day waiting around for it to get done.

Also, whilst cleaning it I chipped a bit of the CLA45 badge off and when asked to replace it they said they will give me a price quote, should I be pushing for this to be thrown in due to the price quote for service being £461?

It would require a huge service fleet if everyone had to get a like for like car.

Yeh i'm using Sunderland, tried Teesside but they wasted my time too many times. I was home for 2 days for a test drive and when I arrived their was none available on site despite arranging for me to come down.

C Class I can live with, smart car I can not

Had my new c63 estate in for some work and I was offered a B class 180 D manual which I politely refused, after a bit of spirited negotiation I got a new AMG petrol C class 2 litre auto, I think it depends on the relationship you've got with the dealership.

I've had a loan C class estate from Sunderland before, you need to book it well in advance however. I used to use Sunderland but they damaged the front bumper of my W218 CLS on one service (car picked up/delivered) and I had real chew getting it repaired for free....service manager is now in Teesside though.

Never had an AMG serviced with them though.....£461 still sounds a lot for an oil change and a vehicle health check.

RR

I'm heavily amused by all this ponce about courtesy cars. They are a way to get from A to B while your car is in the garage... I suppose when I was younger I was a bit more bothered.

Nowadays, as long as it's a decent dealer I'm just as happy with a lift to the office. This did back fire many years ago, with my first Company Car, a Laguna. The Renault dealer rang me at 3PM to say the car would be off the road waiting for parts and no loan car overnight. The air did turn red, and one was found for the night only. So got another lift to the office the next morning. The part that turned up was not the correct one, but at that point they wisely found me a car to hang on to....

I've managed to develop a good relationship with the service team at my dealership, mainly through being accommodating of minor things like what courtesy car I get. They get enough hassle from some people and by making their life easy with the insignificant stuff I've found they're much more inclined to go the extra mile for me when there's something more important that needs dealing with.

Why not get it done in Germany?

It's not like they'd be unfamiliar with it.

I have just booked mine in for an MOT and service later this month , i used to book well ahead to get a courtesy car but as the above will take no more than two hours i have chosen just to wait for it.

I would be two hours (in total) travelling too and from the main dealers (twice) anyway.

Had a new C two years ago and an E wagon last year as courtesy cars.

Kenny

lewyboy said:
Why not get it done in Germany? It's not like they'd be unfamiliar with it.
I went down, was 600 euro and they said they couldn't put it on the system as serviced but could only give me a receipt to sort it myself. Basically I had a chance to get the week off and used the service excuse to get back to the UK

davidjpowell said:
I'm heavily amused by all this ponce about courtesy cars. They are a way to get from A to B while your car is in the garage... I suppose when I was younger I was a bit more bothered. Nowadays, as long as it's a decent dealer I'm just as happy with a lift to the office. This did back fire many years ago, with my first Company Car, a Laguna. The Renault dealer rang me at 3PM to say the car would be off the road waiting for parts and no loan car overnight. The air did turn red, and one was found for the night only. So got another lift to the office the next morning. The part that turned up was not the correct one, but at that point they wisely found me a car to hang on to....

I suppose it is nit picking but it would be nice to drive around in something similar to what you paid for when the price of the service is so high, wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't doing anything that day.

fordgt40 said:
Had my new c63 estate in for some work and I was offered a B class 180 D manual which I politely refused, after a bit of spirited negotiation I got a new AMG petrol C class 2 litre auto, I think it depends on the relationship you've got with the dealership.
Funny you should say this, he said they have A-E class available and will try to match it the best they could.

I politely pushed for a C or E, and definitely not the B!
C class would be good as I really like the look of the new C63 and might turn down that road on my next purchase so it would be a good opportunity to maybe experience the cabin, albeit not an AMG one

Mine is in Sunderland on Wednesday for a service....I asked if I could get the GTS but that was already booked out.....however they said the S65 was available so will feed back what it was like on Wednesday......always had brilliant service from Sunderland

Lee C63 said:
Mine is in Sunderland on Wednesday for a service....I asked if I could get the GTS but that was already booked out.....however they said the S65 was available so will feed back what it was like on Wednesday......always had brilliant service from Sunderland
I sense that this is a piss take

I suppose it is nit picking but it would be nice to drive around in something similar to what you paid for when the price of the service is so high, wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't doing anything that day.

Isn't a B class a step up from the A class? :devil:

lewyboy said:
Isn't a B class a step up from the A class? :devil:

You can look at it that way yeh, but you can also look at it as the ugliest Mercedes too.

DannyHall said:

Isn't that arguably what drives up the cost in the first place? *roll out same argument for car insurance costs*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom