Cracked exhaust joint - advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Power_n_Glory

Car
C55 Estate W203
My C55 exhaust pipe is cracked, concealed beneath the rearmost clamp where the o/s rear box is connected to the central/n/s box. The crack runs around the pipe right where the pipe meets the flare for the joint about half the way round at the mo, so I can imagine a weld then ground down would be an ok repair.

Would like your views on;

Is it worth welding the joint as the car is nearly 11 years old or are other parts of the exhaust about to fail? It looks sound at the moment but from within... who knows?

If so, would my usual very trusted garage be ok for the work? I can weld a bit but taking off that heavy section whilst under the car on the drive does not look fun.

If not, replace just the rear boxes or go back to the next joint behind the first silencer box to the rear of the cats or replace those too?

For any of the replacement options, re-map the ecu at the same time?

Not flush with cash just after Chrimbo but if the investment pays real divi's then maybe it's time....

Advice much welcomed!

Will do - drive past them so often but didn't realise they are Merc friends. A new joint could well be the way forward, thanks!

You have the de-cat I see - any problems with the MOT? Mine has 80k on it although FMBSH etc so should be ok on emissions? I have a friendly MOT tester...

Cheers

Not had an MOT since the de-cat but I have been reliably informed that as long as the car passes the emissions it should pass OK. I'll find out in May. You should be OK with a friendly tester:D

Do check your engine mounts. When they let go a lot strain is taken from the engine moving in the exhaust system.

That's a good thought, will do... If they are dodgy I need to do the plugs soon too, so lifting the block up will make that a bit easier. Off topic, but I was trying to get the plug lead pulling tool but the local Merc dealer said they will not supply to the public and they have trouble getting them for their mechanics too! Amazing...

Thanks!

AmGEED, my mate tests my motorcycles with pretty loud pipes; his view is that if it's no louder than his Harley, then it's ok by him!

I had read here that some c55's have emissions problems with the secondary de-cat, so wonder if that's a risk. Anyway, will ask the exhaust guys as suggested and work out a budget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom