criuse control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steveatki

I recently changed my 2004 w203 230k for a 2007 w211 c220cdi, today i went down a hill with cruise set at 30 mph (there is a camera on the hill), and the car slowed as if the brakes seemed to be applied at over 30. This did not happen with the W203, I always had to brake to slow, I have noticed this to a lesser effect on motorways.

Is this a new feature, or was my previous car not correctly set up?

I recently changed my 2004 w203 230k for a 2007 w211 c220cdi, today i went down a hill with cruise set at 30 mph (there is a camera on the hill), and the car slowed as if the brakes seemed to be applied at over 30. This did not happen with the W203, I always had to brake to slow, I have noticed this to a lesser effect on motorways.

I think its a new feature. My 2003 C200 didnt have it but my 2005 SLK280 does. I think its rather cool.

Portzy.

I have a 2004 C180k and find that with the CC set and going downhill, the car will change down the gears to try to keep the car from going too far over the set level. It usually manages it to within about 5 mph - wouldn't trust it to drive me downhill past a speed camera though.

is it just c/c or have you got the speed limiter fitted as well??????

speed limiter is fitted but i am only using c/c, it is not changing gear to slow down it feels just like the brakes are applied and released. This particular hill is very steep and normally needs braking, but today i let the car go and do it's thing and it slowed down repeatedly to 30mph.

Just answered my own question, this is in the interactive manual on MB site

Cruise control

Cruise control maintains a constant road speed for you. It brakes automatically in order to avoid exceeding the set speed. On long and steep downhill gradients, especially if the vehicle is laden or towing a trailer, you must shift to a lower gear in good time or select shift range 1, 2 or 3 in vehicles with automatic transmission*. In this way you will make use of the braking effect of the engine, which relieves the load on the brake system and prevents the brakes from overheating and wearing too quickly.

You've changed from a petrol engine to diesel. Diesels tend to have far more engine braking, could this be the explaination?

EDIT - just seen your post #6 ...

Last edited:
W211 non SBC (facelift) do apply the brakes if cruise detects overrun, and the brake lights come on too (had this going into Lincoln in my rental) - SBC ones, perversely, don't seem to do so, relying on engine braking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom