Cross threaded wheel bolt CLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nikki2512

Car
CLC220 CDI Auto
I have over tightened the wheel bolt on my CLC so that one of the bolts does not come undone ! Silly I know, but I was worried that they may be too loose and do not have a torque wrench !

Took the car to a tyre centre and they ran a mile so looking for possible solutions. I believe that it may be a crossed thread and can only think of removing the other bolts and trying to remove remaining cross thread bolt whilst trying to push wheel from behind.

Any other ideas or suggestions as to where to go for help ! I guess this may have to be a visit to Mercedes dealership.

Now need to resolve crossed threaded bolt, buy replacement original spec locking nut set B66470142 and 16 new bolts A0009901007 if anyone knows where they may be available? Also intend to buy a digital torque wrench since this has been a costly error and learning point ! Nikki

I think it will be a stripped thread rather than a crossed threaded one. What you suggest is what I did for somebody else's car once. The idea is to take out all the other studs and see if you can wrench a little play between the hub and the wheel. If you can get an assistant it would help to pull on the wheel at the same time as turning the stud anti-clockwise to re-engage the threads, assuming the strip is on the stud rather than the hub. I would then run a lubricated stud up and down the threads a few times to clean off any burrs.

If it's the hub it might just pull out as the thread is broken and might not be salvageable.

I know that this is completely against conventional wisdom, but the first thing I do on all my cars is to lube the studs or nuts to prevent the seizing on the threads. So far I've never had any problems.

Let us know how you get on.

Ernie

I agree with what ernie has said. The wheel needs to come off and the bolt needs to be removed so you have nothing to lose by trying what he says. A little leverage of the wheel may enable some remaining thread to catch and allow the bolt to be renewed. Hopefully when this has been achieved you will be able to see whether the damage is to the bolt or the hub, hopefully the bolt. If none of this works You will need to get it to a decent garage for them to deal.

Good luck

Steve

Hi Nikki

Did you get this sorted ok?

He reported it sorted on 't'other side'. It appears that it was the stud that had stripped and by doing something like what was suggested above, he managed to re-engage the threads and remove it without damage to the hub.

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom