CSCS Cards in construction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Rain stopped play for today so I decided it's a good time to look into work for November 2012 onwards.

The first hurdle I have come across is this CSCS card thing. What is this all about and when did it come into existance. It appears that I can't walk onto a site without the relevant card, even though I am a time served plumber. :wallbash:

If you've got your City & Guilds etc you just need to take the CSCS health and safety test and they put all your qualifictions on a card.

*I think* it was brought in to cover the contractors backsides against any malpractice by subbies.

Yep came into force about 6 years ago properly. I have one for HIAB operation and slinger, signalling. PITA but it's industry standard just as gas safe is.

The H&S test 'syllabus' can be bought in WH Smith, and you have to attend a H&S test centre [I used Croydon for my last one] where you do a multiple choice test on a computer.

I'm a QS so failed first time and argued the toss with the tester that answering the questions to a greater degree of safety than the strictly correct answer couldn't be wrong. Computer says no... still failed so had to retake.

Insurers seem to be forcing more companies to adopt this as a min requirement for all site operatives.

CSCS Health and Safety Test | CSCS Exam Practice Test | CSCS Courses

PITA but it has become a must-have at some sites now.

I am a properly qualified, Chartered member of IOSH but have no exemption to getting a card.

The touch screen test is difficult to fail with just some basic knowledge and as already said, you can buy a book with all the answers in.

I did mine and passed it 100% but they wouldn't give me the black/platinum card because I didn't have an NVQ3 - I have a degree in Construction Management FFS!!!! Took multiple phone calls to resolve - haven't bothered renewing it but the sites I go on are usually mine so isn't a problem

Thanks for the answers so far.

Seems to be a right old pain to take a test, get the card etc etc. I will have to dig out my C & G certificates. I also need to have Public Liability insurance, this will be dead expensive because I use oxy-acetylene when I am doing leadwork.

The last time I had public liability when I was on the tools, I used Zurich. They were cheapest with the best cover as well.

I work for a National Main Contractor who take the view " No card - No Job". Understand test will get even more difficult soon so best do it now as card lasts about 5 years.

I work for a National Main Contractor who take the view " No card - No Job". Understand test will get even more difficult soon so best do it now as card lasts about 5 years.

Lets face it of you've done the test recently (which I have) it can't get any easier...:eek: Simple PC touch screen with multiple choice questions and the chance to go back and check them over and over again. It's definitely not rocket science....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom