Curbed wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pappilo

Banned
Car
Legsus
I have gone and done it! I curbed one of my wheels today and while it isnt major, it is irritating the hell out of me.

I have read about wheel repair online but I think it will be useful to get the opinions of the more experienced heads on here.

Can anyone please recommend a smart repair company in Essex, Kent or east London (mobile or workshop) who can fix my wheel. I will prefer a smart repair against a complete refurbishment i.e. I just want only the damaged area repaired and painted if possible with the wheels not coming off.

I dont think I want this powdercoating business, just a simple smart repair. It wont bother me if the paint is not a perfect match. As you may notice from the pictures, the damage is only over a very samll areaand any paint variation will be unoticeable to anyone else.

Any idea of costs?

Attachments

• mbtyre1.jpg
    mbtyre1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 333
  • mbtyre2.jpg
    mbtyre2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 334
I have gone and done it! I curbed one of my wheels today and while it isnt major, it is irritating the hell out of me.

I have read about wheel repair online but I think it will be useful to get the opinions of the more experienced heads on here.

Can anyone please recommend a smart repair company in Essex, Kent or east London (mobile or workshop) who can fix my wheel. I will prefer a smart repair against a complete refurbishment i.e. I just want only the damaged area repaired and painted if possible with the wheels not coming off.

I dont think I want this powdercoating business, just a simple smart repair. It wont bother me if the paint is not a perfect match. As you may notice from the pictures, the damage is only over a very samll areaand any paint variation will be unoticeable to anyone else.

Any idea of costs?

You could correct the damage yourself with some elbow grease, fine wet and dry paper and a wet and dry sanding block.

I had a similar problem with my polished rims and although not quite as bad as yours I'd sorted it in 15, minutes.

Those wheels don't look painted, more like polished metal with a coat of clear lacquer. I think that would be a full refurb job but I may stand corrected.

Keep this thread updated as I have done one of minewhich is polished/lacquered.

Simon

I managed to do this repair with mine, which unless you right next to the wheel looks pretty good. Various sand papers / filler. paint and laquer

wheel1.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

Those wheels don't look painted, more like polished metal with a coat of clear lacquer. I think that would be a full refurb job but I may stand corrected.

Keep this thread updated as I have done one of minewhich is polished/lacquered.

Simon

Hi simon

I am a bit confused here. Is a full refurb one where the entire wheel area is painted/ polished? I definitely do not want this.

Even if it is a polished wheel, cant I just have the damaged area refurbed? I would rather a tiny part of one alloy wheel have a slight colour/ polish variation than one alloy have a colour/ polish variation with the other three. This is the reason I do not want a 'full refurb'

Is it not posibble to have only the damaged area 'fully refurbed'?

I am definitely going to get this done so will keep the thread updated with the 'after' pics

I managed to do this repair with mine, which unless you right next to the wheel looks pretty good. Various sand papers / filler. paint and laquer

wheel1.jpg

wheels3.jpg

For a DIY, thats pretty tidy. It gives me hope that mine can be sorted as well. Are your wheels painted or polished?

if you only want 1 wheel done you can do that most places charge between 35-85 pounds each wheel . if there painted i would have ago myself first you can find alloy touch up paint on ebay for most wheels than if youre still not happy pay for a refurb .

I bought a kit from the scratchdoctor on flea bay came with enough bits to refurb 4 rims, thing is now I have the kit it has the instructions and what sand paper to use when...

It also came with, metallic touch up paint, filler and laquer your wheels however look more 'polished'

I could have done a better job on mine too be honest and rushed it a bit but unless right next to the valve cap it's pretty good and the kit was £10 all in

I have been told my wheels are polished (diamond cut) just as Simon thought, so they can not be repaired, only a full refurbishment will do. I am happy to spend a £100 on getting it fixed but I very much doubt the wheel will come back looking exactly like the other 3. I also have to be without my car for up to 7 days. I think that is too much stress for what is really cosmetic damage. If it wasnt for my OCD :D, I probably wouldnt have noticed the damage so I am going to leave the wheel as it is. The damage doesnt look as bad as before once the wheels were cleaned. I have attached a picture of the wheel after some light cleaning.

Attachments

• mbtyre3.jpg
    mbtyre3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 191
I would try and at least touch it up and put some laquer on it so if we get more salt etc it will protect it?

@ A210AMG

I have sent a PM to Ringway who has done something similar to his car and will get it done myself once I know how to go about it.

I know a guy who could fix that. Although he's not in your neck of the woods.

He's mobile too. He removes the wheel, deflates the tyre and pushes it back away from the edge of the rim. He then mounts it on a lathe type machine, spins the wheel and diamond cuts just the very edge. He then re-laquers and bakes it in a mobile oven in the back of his van. Wheels would look like new afterwards! £45!! Bargain and a genius!

Just thought I'd ask...can you not swap the wheel with your spare? Or is it a space saver??

Thanks Tpwuk

I did get a few who told me that they can repair it and it involved the process you detailed but there was a caveat. This is a reply I got from one of my enquiries

'' We can just polish the rim of your wheel but you will be left with a faint line round the whole wheel where the machine has cut through the lacquer. We would charge £65+vat to do this.''

This in my opinion is not a proper repair. It is just improving the damaged area and Ringway reckons I can achieve this myself with some sanding paper. The most trusted diamond cut refurbishers said it can not be repaired.

I have not checked my spare wheel since I bought the car, I,ll go and have a look. :thumb:

I would try and at least touch it up and put some laquer on it so if we get more salt etc it will protect it?

Yes, clean it and cover the damage with lacquer asap otherwise you will get a nasty white mess appearing as moisture spreads under the lacquer.

The spare wheel is steel :mad: but you have given me a good idea :cool:. When my spread betting 'investment' comes good :bannana:, I may invest in one alloy wheel of the same type as a spare or better still just upgrade all 4 to the new 19'' AMG wheels :thumb:.

I know a guy who could fix that. Although he's not in your neck of the woods.

He's mobile too. He removes the wheel, deflates the tyre and pushes it back away from the edge of the rim. He then mounts it on a lathe type machine, spins the wheel and diamond cuts just the very edge. He then re-laquers and bakes it in a mobile oven in the back of his van. Wheels would look like new afterwards! £45!! Bargain and a genius!

Just thought I'd ask...can you not swap the wheel with your spare? Or is it a space saver??

Hi Mate,

Can You please DM me the details as im in need of getting of my alloyes repaired.

Thanks

Salman

No point asking for names of mobile repair guys if you don't disclose your location!

If a mobile guy working in the south Essex area charges £45 for a wheel refurb dya think the price will stay like that if you're asking him to travel to Newcastle for instance?

:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom