Current Volvo XC90.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
No I haven't given up on cars yet... :D

...but I have to say I was mighty impressed with the looks of one I was behind this morning.

I've only really liked a couple of Volvos in the past (850 T5/T5-R and S60).

They've really come a long way with this design.

Adding it to the future potential list!

Haldex 4x4 unit was always awful on these, Maybe different now, Kellogs plastic interior and dull. BUT... Very comfortable cars and of course safe.

They are comfortable old barges, the old165hp 2.4 D was almost glacial in acceleration.

the new generation of Volvos look really good, and have wonderful interiors.

Only 4 cylinder engines

It's a superb engine, the combination with the 8 speed auto is seamless. My XC60 has more than adequate poke with the lower tuned D4 engine, it shifts and gives about 55mpg on a good run. As Sean says the interior on the new XC90 (and V90) is wonderful.

Turning circle remains my bugbear though!

I am a big fan of the V90 .. much more alluring that the new E class estate to my eyes.

I am a big fan of the V90 .. much more alluring that the new E class estate to my eyes.

Smaller capacity though than the E class Estate.

Interiors are no where near as well built nor styled as good as the currect Merc's imho.

The bodies also look very similar to the Current Jags so why not get one of those?

It's a superb engine, the combination with the 8 speed auto is seamless. My XC60 has more than adequate poke with the lower tuned D4 engine, it shifts and gives about 55mpg on a good run. As Sean says the interior on the new XC90 (and V90) is wonderful.

Turning circle remains my bugbear though!

Not sure if the D4 has a better turning circle, but I don't find it a problem on mine. Certainly not like the old V70's....

Mine is just about to hit 55k....

Mine's done 36k and still on the original tyres, which have a minimum 4.5mm of tread left.

After any of my RWD cars the turning circle is poor and ability to park easily is compromised.

Mine's done 36k and still on the original tyres, which have a minimum 4.5mm of tread left.

I wouldn't be too happy about that, CM. If the tyres are not wearing they are maximising potential grip.

After any of my RWD cars the turning circle is poor and ability to park easily is compromised.

I'm on 3rd set on the front - they are lasting 25k or so (not forgetting that mine is 2wd). Original on the back with about 4mm.

I'm on 3rd set on the front - they are lasting 25k or so (not forgetting that mine is 2wd). Original on the back with about 4mm.

Mine is FWD too - I have swapped them front and back, wear is now entirely even all round.

Could you expand, maximising grip sounds like a good thing?

Sorry CM, I should have said not maximising grip!

I'd simply say your current tyres have a hard compound considering you've had 36k miles from them and there's 4.5mm tread left. Hard compound tyres don't grip as well as say normal tyres. Take for example premium tyres on a saloon, usually/very rule of thumb they'd average 20k miles in comparison.

Last edited:
Harder than I'd like certainly, but I drive so gently nowadays I think that is the principal reason.

Smaller capacity though than the E class Estate.

Interiors are no where near as well built nor styled as good as the currect Merc's imho.

The bodies also look very similar to the Current Jags so why not get one of those?
It's true that boot capacity is smaller but the interior is very nice and better looking than in new E class. No silly ipad style flat dials but proper clusters. Seats are more comfortable too so I wouldn't say that V90 lack a style or is not well built. On contrary, I think that Volvo made a huge positive leap with this model.
Mercedes-Benz_E-Klasse_(2016)_W213.jpg

compared to this:
Volvo-S90-131-1024x682.jpg

E class is beautiful car but too similar to C class and Audi and V90 stands out from the crowd.

D297181-e1465266523105-630x315.jpg

mercedes_c-class_estate_2014_rear.jpg

2015_audi_a6_avant_23_1920x1080.jpg

2018-Volvo-S90-V90-R-Design-INLINE.jpg

Harder than I'd like certainly, but I drive so gently nowadays I think that is the principal reason.

I don't think gentle driving should prolong your car's tyre life by that amount? I could of course be incorrect but heading for 60k+ miles out of a set of tyres seems an inordinate amount to me.

Mine is FWD too - I have swapped them front and back, wear is now entirely even all round.

Had thought about doing that... Will give it more thought....

My back tyres have worn more on the inside than the outside, with a result that they are a little noisy. It's annoying, but not annoying enough to make me change the tyres early...

Not a subject I claim any knowledge of but a quick google brings up a Continental document (they are ContiEcoContact5s so within the norm of tyres fitted to this type of car) suggesting that a gentle driving style can yield 8 times as much life as a high performance one. Anyway, no issues with grip or braking at present.

Last edited:
They are comfortable old barges, the old165hp 2.4 D was almost glacial in acceleration.
Agreed not a great engine the 163bhp jobbie. I had one for 2 weeks and flipped it. Horrible thing. The 313bhp Yamaha V8 was a very different beastie though Makes the whole car so much better. The Haldex system is OK and does a job but it struggles often to work out which wheel to put it's 313 horses to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom