Customer Protect Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryan Allman

SUPPORTER
Car
SLK55 (R172) 62.
A word of warning to those who have warranties with either Customer Protect or Auto Protect based in Cambridge.

On Sunday whilst driving four up to an airshow the car kicked the front end off track slightly - as if the brakes had suddenly applied on one side. At the same time I had fault warnings appear simultaneously for ABS, EPC and Park Brake with the instruction to take the car to the nearest MB Dealer. This all happened approx 6 miles from home and about 8 miles from the nearest MB dealer.

I continued the journey at 30 mph with hazards flashing for approx two miles when I started to hear a noise from the near side front wheel. I got out the car and could see brake dust type material on the wheel, but no other evidence of damage. I continued the journey for another 500 yds to the nearest junction and pulled off.

Within a hundred yards of me pulling off, a further warning 'Stop - do not drive the car any further' came up. I stopped within 40 ft and turned off the car.

The car was collected by the AA and taken to the nearest dealer.

The following morning the Dealer called me to say that the problem was a collapsed wheel bearing which had damaged the hub assembly and consequently the brake disk and caliper. (Not sure about the validity of latter two but that isn't the point here).

Today I had a conversation with the Warranty Company detailed above who refused to pay the claim on the basis that this was not a breakdown but 'wear and tear' and not covered by their insurance.

Needless to say my conversation got increasingly angry - and I asked them to explain which parts on any car they actually covered - on the basis that the minute a car rolls off the production line all parts would be subject to wear and tear.

Both people I spoke to were adamant that their warranty only covers 'mechanical breakdown' and not any part which has expired through normal wear and tear - and they refused to budge on this matter - citing their terms and conditions explain this clearly.

The pint therefore is that if you have a warranty with either of these companies (and their website advertises their strong relationship with Mercedes Benz, so some of you might) - the warranty is effectively worthless if you have used your car, or you have failed to inspect every single part for wear and tear before setting off on your journey.

Needless to say I will be sending details to the FSA, OFT etc etc

Caveat emptor !!

Last edited:
Try calling the car magazines and see if one of them will take up your case..

These warranties often only cover specific named components and often don't cover consequential damage, so you might have had to pay for a new caliper and new discs and pads anyway.

Perhaps you could argue that a wheel bearing isn't a wear and tear item? They do sometime fail but they generally last the life of the car.

These warranties often only cover specific named components and often don't cover consequential damage, so you might have had to pay for a new caliper and new discs and pads anyway.

Perhaps you could argue that a wheel bearing isn't a wear and tear item? They do sometime fail but they generally last the life of the car.

I would agree that discs and pads are consumable items; however wheel bearings are not specifically excluded. The only items excluded in the policy are brake pads, disks, wheels, bodywork and windscreen wipers. The rest are covered for 'mechanical breakdown'

As mentioned in my previous post, their arguement is centered around the premiss that any wear and tear on those items covered, immediately invalidates the agreement .................

:confused:

most warranties will cover wheel bearings if they suddenly fail, but not if they wear and become noisy.

I think they should have paid really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom