Cyclist knocked down and killed pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That must apply to some car drivers as well...here is an Email from my son yesterday
Hozay
25 Aug (1 day ago)

to me
Got ran over on the weekend off my bike snapped my arm in half and broke my foot hit and run aswell the ******* left me on the side of the road was there 2 hours before a jogger found me

Sent from my iPhone
I will be seeing him tomorrow ...wish i could find the driver...

Very sorry to hear this, hope he makes a full snd speedy recovery.

The cyclist stating that he shouted at her not once but twice is admission in itself that he saw her and didn't stop just in case, he ploughed through her and she died.

His actions after the event go a long way into showing this persons mentality too, it was that mentality that went some way towards a woman losing her life.

What I find most intriguing about this new cycling phenomena with these Lycra dudes is that it always seems to be these wannabe pros that get into bother; it's never the average bloke cycling to graft on a mountain bike in his overalls and work boots... Maybe it's simply an indication of the way society has gone in general...

I read in one of the news websites that the cyclist said the woman got startled by his shout and actually jumped backwards right into his path as he was trying to swerve. But I did not see this mentioned anywhere else.

When I was a kid.... we had a small bell fitted to the handlebars to alert other road users to our presence. Some kids fitted an actual horn. It was considered a must have... what happened to these? Are they illegal now?

I often get yelled at "OY!!!" by cyclists who think I might step into the road or fully swing open the car's door (I crack it open then look back), and that's fair enough becuase I appreciate that the riders are concernced about their own safety as well as mine, but I can't remember when was the last time I heard the sound of bicycle bell or horn?

All four bikes in our household have both lights and bells ; my son Harris delights in pinging his whenever he approaches pedestrians .

I read in one of the news websites that the cyclist said the woman got startled by his shout and actually jumped backwards right into his path as he was trying to swerve. But I did not see this mentioned anywhere else.

I've seen it mentioned quite a bit

My young granddaughter has a bell on her bike, drives me nuts tearing round the garden, think I may have to remove it. :D:

i have been a keen cyclist for many years,( didnt pass my driving test till i was 33), raced mountain bikes for ten years and have 8-10 bicycles,im sure some of these were sold to me as not for road use, not track bikes but high end mountain bikes for racing.

some of my bikes do not have a bell or horn fitted . im sure there are many bikes regularly used on the roads that in some way breaking the law.

i just wonder what would happen if i was involved in an accident while riding one of these on the road, although my riding could hardly be described as furious these days.

I can't image the defendant using a bell even if it was a legal requirement like the front brake. A bell is orders off magnitude less cool than a front brake. The whole fixie thing and no front brake is just another example of fashion before function and safety. The idea that this type of cyclist didn’t know a front brake was legally required is a joke. Breaking the law will be one of the reasons they do it in the first place as it adds to the coolness.

I’m really not anti cyclist but I’m very anti them being allowed to break the law in a manner that endangers others.

Seems he received 18months in Youth Detention

"He was cleared of her manslaughter, but found guilty of bodily harm by "wanton or furious driving"."

Cyclist detained over pedestrian death

If this chap were to get away with disrespecting human life like this it would set dangerous precedent for the future. This conviction makes things simple: if you ride a bike with no brakes on the road, kill somebody and show no remorse - you are going to jail.

In my view this is a tragic occurence due to the selfish and anti-social choices made by the young man to ride a fixed wheel cycle anywhere where there are pavements, pedestrians and other road trafiic.

Its an attitude that seems to be getting more prevalent these days and is probably due to a combination of 'willy-waving' and feelings of inadequacy. We all want to stand out from the herd, but most of us choose non-threatening ways to do so.

By the way, I count those who want to remove cats, silencers etc to make their car's exhaust sound louder as selfish and anti-social as well.

Question:-

Why is a 20 year old man being given a sentence in young detention and not prison?

I thought this was a facility for under 18's?

I think this entire case is odd. Even the sentence appears odd, as though the court didn't really know how to deal with it.

Gov.uk is not totally clear on this, but it looks like full adult prisons are for over 21s.

One page states:

'Young people aged 18 are treated as an adult by the law.
If they’re sent to prison, they’ll be sent to a place that holds 18 to 25-year-olds, not a full adult prison.'

Another says:

' There are 3 types of custody for young people:
  • young offender institutions
  • secure training centres
  • secure children’s homes
Young offender institutions:
  • are run by the Prison Service and private companies
  • are for people aged 15 to 21 (people under 18 are held in different buildings)
  • house between 60 to 400 people, split into ‘wings’ of 30 to 60 people.'

I think this entire case is odd. Even the sentence appears odd, as though the court didn't really know how to deal with it.
The case was very odd indeed albeit very tragic. Had the bike got brakes and the rider not had an attitude problem, I wonder what the outcome would have been.

If the same sentencing guidelines apply to youth detention as to adult prisoners he will serve 9 months incarceration + a further 9 months out on licence.

"Alliston said he was not aware a brake was a legal requirement to ride on the road"

Not a very bright young man then.....

This reminded me of a neighbour who nearly crashed because she left her bicycle chained outside and did not notice that someone stole the brakes overnight.... and she was 8 months pregnant at the time! Mother and baby are fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom