DAB 'Device Unavailable' Message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hbentley1990

Car
Mercedes C220 AMG Sports + Coupe
Hi All,

First post here and just hoping to get some info.

My 2013 C220 had an issue a couple of weeks back where a 'device unavailable' message would pop up whilst the DAB radio is on, music goes off for a couple of seconds then reload up and come back on. This got worse and worse over the next few days making listening to the DAB pointless (might as well of sat in silence.)

I took the car to the main dealer who was going to do an update whilst I waited, this update kept crashing then they had to re book the car and keep it in. A new amp fitted I was told it was fixed (yesterday)! but driving today to work it throws it up again albeit not as often.

I was told by the lady in Mercedes that as soon as my car was brought in they have had 8-9 other cars booked in with the same issue in the same week, a gent sat next to me had the same issue going on in his CLK and was awaiting repair also.

Has anyone else got this going on? or had a fix done? it seems to me like MB have not really got a clue with a fix at the moment.

Hi All,

First post here and just hoping to get some info.

My 2013 C220 had an issue a couple of weeks back where a 'device unavailable' message would pop up whilst the DAB radio is on, music goes off for a couple of seconds then reload up and come back on. This got worse and worse over the next few days making listening to the DAB pointless (might as well of sat in silence.)

I took the car to the main dealer who was going to do an update whilst I waited, this update kept crashing then they had to re book the car and keep it in. A new amp fitted I was told it was fixed (yesterday)! but driving today to work it throws it up again albeit not as often.

I was told by the lady in Mercedes that as soon as my car was brought in they have had 8-9 other cars booked in with the same issue in the same week, a gent sat next to me had the same issue going on in his CLK and was awaiting repair also.

Has anyone else got this going on? or had a fix done? it seems to me like MB have not really got a clue with a fix at the moment.

This is a known issue and there is a firmware fix for it.

your local dealer should be able to apply the fix for you.

Hi Alfie,

I have exactly the same problem. Do you have any further details on the firmware I can pass on to MBS?

cheers,

Andrew

Actually, there isn't a firmware fix. Did the latest firmware updates and it is not fixed.

See my other thread - it is location dependant - and I believe is probably a s/w error in the DAB tuner (or COMAND) relating to the number of stations received.

Round here (ascot) there seem to be more DAB stations then anywhere else (with both Trial Woking and Trial London ensembles etc etc).

NTG4.5 DAB has a dual tuner and I suspect the 2nd tuner is scanning in background.

Its happening to both my cars, so not a hardware issue.

Richard

Thanks Richard,

That's a really interesting observation, I suspect this is why the problem has been spreading like wildfire.

Do you believe there could be a future firmware update to fix the number of stations scanned/stored? This constant break and resume in the DAB service is sending me mad!!

They will fix it, loads of NTG4.5 cars are still under warranty.

Please note that this is about when the display keeps saying "Device Unavailable", then saying "Please wait", then showing the station list, and then sound returns (most of the time sound returns, sometimes you have to wait for the next time it happens to get sound back)

Richard

Cheers,

Yep, this is exactly the problem I have. I have MB calling me back for a booking today, I'll share their findings in due course.

Please note that this is about when the display keeps saying "Device Unavailable", then saying "Please wait", then showing the station list, and then sound returns (most of the time sound returns, sometimes you have to wait for the next time it happens to get sound back)

Richard

I get the "Device unavailable" but not "please wait" I just get the pause then it picks up again.

Same symptom now on both our cars.

2014 E Class
2015 SL

Same problem on my March 2013 W166, mine is going in next week for service, with the DAB issue as something to look at.

Not holding my breath on a solution from what I have read, but will report back what MB say,

Mine (W212, Sept 2014) has started doing this as well. All on commute around North West London. Infuriating.

I had the same issue for one day. re tuned and all good now last few days but possibly only due to location. Will update next week.

Richard

Hi Richard

What does that mean for us who are now out of warranty? Will
MB update the firmware for us?

Ditto.

Appears I'm not the only one with the problem. Will get it seen to when the car is next in for a service.

tigerpool said:
How do you retune? I am having the same issue as well. Thanks :)

Select radio on the comand, make sure the waveband selected is DAB, select store station. You'll see one of the options is autotune.

The good news is you'll probably get some more stations, the bad news is "device unavailable" will still be there.

Select radio on the comand, make sure the waveband selected is DAB, select store station. You'll see one of the options is autotune.

The good news is you'll probably get some more stations, the bad news is "device unavailable" will still be there.
So do I simply book it in for Mercedes to look at?
Its still under warranty

You can try, but I don't think Merc have a fix for it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom