Daily Drive-20mpg AMG or 50mpg Diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Drive a transit connect during the week averaging somewhere between 30 and 35 mpg depending on amount of tools in the back and how heavy my right foot is..
Drive the 32 mostly at weekends or short trips to see friends during the week or Mrs Dredd drives me and the family about in a 13 zafira

C350 CDi does most of my miles and I've averaged 33 mpg since I've had it, 20,000 miles. It varies hugely though. On a commute I can easily get it into the teens yet on a run sat at legal motorway speeds I've had 48mpg. The problem with these threads is it a so subjective to driving style and route. For example on my commute I used to get 14-15mpg out of the C63 and the C350 does 20-22 on the same run. However on a business trip (steady, gentle and within the limits) the best I could get from the C63 was 22 yet I could get 48 from the C350.

50mpg plus diesel for me.
New e250 cab. Comfy car, great fun with all the toys to make for a pleasant commute. Quick motor too. Need the diesel as I do around 20k a year. Once up to temp pretty quiet too.

E55k was daily driver for the 5 mile commute, until this winter I found a cinquecento sporting for 1/8th the price of winter tyres.

That cars so much fun I seem to use it all the time in the week now. E55 has unintentionally become a weekend car. I think because most of my commute is sub 30mph, it can be a little boring in the 55. The fiat is hilarious at any speed.

Not a decision based on mpg really, although that said I don't remember the last time I put fuel in it.

-t

Currently my daily driver is a K reg Citroen XM 2.1 Turbodiesel. High 40s economy, exceptionally comfortable drive with only the hum of the old indirect injection diesel to remind me I'm in something old. However, it was never bought for this in mind so my new daily driver should be arriving in the next fortnight. Twenty questions will soon be run.

E55k was daily driver for the 5 mile commute, until this winter I found a cinquecento sporting for 1/8th the price of winter tyres.

That cars so much fun I seem to use it all the time in the week now. E55 has unintentionally become a weekend car. I think because most of my commute is sub 30mph, it can be a little boring in the 55. The fiat is hilarious at any speed.

Not a decision based on mpg really, although that said I don't remember the last time I put fuel in it.

-t

My Citroen indy lent me a Ford Ka while one car had some work. Ancient, power steering pump groaned like fury, drum brakes were either off or off or off or just about on, ride dismal, but it was an absolute hoot to drive, revved nicely, you could hurl it into corners and generally hoon around.

The immediacy of a small car is so often forgotten!

My other car is a Ka and it's great fun around town. Can also park just about anywhere and don't break out in a cold sweat worrying about my wheels in a Multi storey:)

Recently had been driving a Volvo S70 (28mpg), BMW 330Ci (25mpg ish sometimes a lot less), then sold for the BMW 318Ci (28 mpg ish), drove around in C180 for a while which was alright but didnt set the world on fire (about 30 mpg) then sold for the CLK 270CDI which I now use as my daily driver, and is now getting me 38 mpg most mixed driving trips and up to 50 mpg, once or twice I got it up to 51.1 mpg on a really decent long run. I have to say, best decision I ever made to get the CLK

A friend gave me a lift in his Hyundai i10 last night, for a three cylinder motorised handbag I was quite impressed how nippy it was.

Used my CL55K as a daily driver for 18 months and put 50k on it - loved every second of it :D
But last year decided it was time to be a bit more sensible so bought a Mini Cooper for my daily commute - a great little car that I don't have to worry about too much, just lacks about 400 horses.
The CL only gets used maybe once or twice a week now, which makes the experience seem even more special - it never EVER fails to impress me :devil:

S320cdi - 33mpg over 15000 miles.

Last year I did a lot of miles on my cbr600 which was averaging just over 40mpg.

My wife's C1 averages 50mpg and is only used around town.

Also have a 530D which is used and abused for diy and tip runs. That get a little less than the S class at around 30mpg.

I've just bought a cheap 125cc supermoto from a friend. He tells me he was getting over 100mpg from it. It owes me nothing so I'll run it through the summer and see what I get.

I do subscribe to the school of thought that you don't always appreciate a good car when you use it every day. Last summer I used the S once a week or there about and it always impressed.

CLK430

I do less than 3k miles a year , so I can afford to run it. If I was doing 20k a year , it would be a little diesel.

CL500 most days unless weathers grim then it's the X-trail .... Roundabouts in Mk make it nigh on impossible to get better than 17mpg ..... Still, it's only a 16 mile round trip

The E63 is my only car and does everything I need and more, I dont really know what mpg it's doing I think it was 13 last time I checked but I just fill it up and go.

Life's too short for driving slow cars as dailys, although I take the Mrs car out seat ibiza once a week to make me appreciate the AMG.

I went to a 250 bhp Volvo V70 diesel from a 300 bhp Subaru legacy Outback and regret it. The Volvo will go next year and I'll be back in a high powered petrol car as my daily driver, savings aren't as big as you think when you factor in diesel price differential 10p per litre around here over petrol. servicing costs are more expensive and from my personal experience diesel cars have been more unreliable than my petrol ones. 2.5 years in on the Volvo and the turbo failed, DPF failed on my previous diesel despite 80% of the cars life been on the motorway. My petrol cars have never needed a spanner other than routine servicing.

My advice would be stick with the petrol and enjoy :thumb:

I love every mile in the E63 and my man maths always makes it a viable daily drive.

Therefore (IMO) it's about as complete a car as you can get.

Fast wagons rule :thumb:.

Yup!

I have to restrain myself from using the E63 wagon every day on my current 100mile commute.

Running a small business gets us a highly tax advantageous (i.e. completely tax free) company Peugeot Bipper Van (55mpg) for work duty (and for regular trips to the tip at weekends and other dirty jobs)

I take the AMG for any meetings to other locations or on Fridays (early finish can take the scenice route home)

These sunny mornings are too tempting though.....

Last edited:
CL600 as a daily driver. Average about 18mpg on mainly fast country roads. Great fun.

Its not miles per a gallon..........Its smiles per a gallon......and that's why we own a AMG because of that inner child inside that giggles every time you turn the key and start it.

Modded C32 wagon as my daily (I only work three miles from home) so get shocking mpg most the time with a average of 18odd mpg but 30mpg on a long drive! Other car is a 1.5dci Megane that gets 48 mpg average and 60odd mpg on and slog! Mrs drives the Megane and I fill that once for every four of the mercs!

Irrespective of what anyone can afford, and how fast they can accelerate to the next set of lights, or line of traffic on the motorway at 'legalish' speeds, does anyone consider the reduction of finite resources that we all have to share.
Just a thought not a criticism!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom