Daily Drive-20mpg AMG or 50mpg Diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Irrespective of what anyone can afford, and how fast they can accelerate to the next set of lights, or line of traffic on the motorway at 'legalish' speeds, does anyone consider the reduction of finite resources that we all have to share.
Just a thought not a criticism!!

errrrrrrrm..................... No :p

Its not miles per a gallon..........Its smiles per a gallon......and that's why we own a AMG because of that inner child inside that giggles every time you turn the key and start it.

Agree with you , but it's not just AMG's

My CLK has an AMG exhaust and sounds incredible , ok it's a v8 , but it's not an AMG. 4 years down the line and it still makes me actually laugh when I give it the beans ......

However , in a side by side listen with a CLK55 , mine sounds nicer :dk: , not sure why. Olly reckoned it had funny pre cats on it when he looked ?

Tomorrow , it's getting a decat too ;)

Irrespective of what anyone can afford, and how fast they can accelerate to the next set of lights, or line of traffic on the motorway at 'legalish' speeds, does anyone consider the reduction of finite resources that we all have to share.

I do actually. However, I consider my overall resource-using footprint to be quite low as I don't buy much tech at all, I stick with things until they die these days, don't buy any paraphernalia associated with other hobbies like sports which all use resources to produce etc.

Really, anyone who does more or less anything uses up resources so everyone should consider them really.

I bought an Energy 'A' rated fridge to offset my V8 ;)

I do actually. However, I consider my overall resource-using footprint to be quite low as I don't buy much tech at all, I stick with things until they die these days, don't buy any paraphernalia associated with other hobbies like sports which all use resources to produce etc.

Really, anyone who does more or less anything uses up resources so everyone should consider them really.

I've always considered but never actioned upon it :fail

Daily driver: S320CDI

- average MPG: no idea, but 30+ as mostly motorway miles
- city: 20-25 MPG
- Motorway: 80 MPH: 35-40 MPG, lower speeds: anything from 40 to 50 MPG

I always enjoy driving it, pure pleasure & luxury.

One day I would like to experience a throaty V8 Merc, but I wouldn't enjoy the fuel costs :eek:

I look to offset the cost of fuel against the frequency of replacement of my cars - currently the E55 at 10 years old has just clipped the 100k mark at an average of 21.1 overall. The SLK55, the toy, is a relative youngster at 6 years old with 35k on the clock and an average of about 22.2mpg. I keep thinking the manufacturing impact of a new car every 3 years or so would easily outweigh the extra fuel consumed by these two.

Having said that, the idea of a Brabus Smart as outlined earlier, does appeal. I wonder if there is a Eurocharge upgrade .............. :thumb:

I look to offset the cost of fuel against the frequency of replacement of my cars - currently the E55 at 10 years old has just clipped the 100k mark at an average of 21.1 overall. The SLK55, the toy, is a relative youngster at 6 years old with 35k on the clock and an average of about 22.2mpg. I keep thinking the manufacturing impact of a new car every 3 years or so would easily outweigh the extra fuel consumed by these two.

Having said that, the idea of a Brabus Smart as outlined earlier, does appeal. I wonder if there is a Eurocharge upgrade .............. :thumb:

It just so happens that Eurocharged UK are in the same workshop as S2Smarts who tweak Smart cars to unbelievable lengths :eek:

I try to offset my carbon footprint by arriving to destinations quick, thus reducing my time on road with engine running. I found this to be more achievable in force inducted V8 and V12 so just have to drive those.

I doubt you will get 20 MPG out of a CLS 55, I've had the 55K engine in 2 cars, the SL and the E Class and both got about 15 MPG, it might go up to about 18 on a run but that's it, my advice, if you want one and get a chance to use it properly go for it!!, great cars sod the fuel economy.

I doubt you will get 20 MPG out of a CLS 55, I've had the 55K engine in 2 cars, the SL and the E Class and both got about 15 MPG, it might go up to about 18 on a run but that's it, my advice, if you want one and get a chance to use it properly go for it!!, great cars sod the fuel economy.

I've often had +20mpg on 100mile trips averaging 70mph so not sure what you mean :dk:
I have posted a snapshot as proof somewhere on this forum.....

Here's a snapshot of a pretty quick run on the Autobahn after my Mods.
Not bad mpg at over 100mph for 66 miles ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20140119_003.jpg
    WP_20140119_003.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 80
I bought diesel for 120miles daily commute but by the time I got the car I changed my job location so I use SLK diesel as a workhorse for anything else. I did about 29K miles during last 18 months, mostly in Europe. It's quite economic on motorways and Autobahn but it's just not fast enough. That's why I ordered AMG to fix it.

Diesel will be my workhorse for another few months. If I need something for commuting in future, I will buy something small/cheap and keep AMG for weekends.

I've often had +20mpg on 100mile trips averaging 70mph so not sure what you mean :dk:

I got mine up to about 20 a couple of times but overall, I think my average over 10k Miles was 16 on the computer, a mixture of town driving and me being rather lead footed are probably to blame.
Either way I'm sticking to bikes only for the performance thrills now, don't get me wrong I appreciate an AMG as much as I always did but there isn't much point for me as I spend a lot of time stuck in traffic wasting fuel, for the OP doing commutes to Germany though I can't think of a better car.

I've left my long term one for a while so I will have a shifty at that.

Bear in mind ChrisA that your computer may not be accurate.

Mine is 2mpg optimistic.

My daily driver is a C180 and I'm getting around 30mpg from that, but my work 'car' is a DAF CF so the mpg on that is probably less than 10 when loaded!!

Trying to buy a C230K, as I can't deal with the complete lack of BHP anymore, hang the (marginal) extra fuel consumption! Would love a C43, or any merc V8 really, but my insurance company won't let me :(

I always get low to mid 20s on a decent run, cruise normally locked at 85 but still playing silly buggers on sliproads and roundabouts. 16-17 on country roads and around town.

Best I've seen is 26 over 100 miles locked at 70. Obviously it can do far less if required :)

30mpg driving like a Galore, 13mpg around the city

My long term MPG is a stated 20.4 since I last reset a few months ago.

I couldn't say I drove the car gently either so that's not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom