Daily Mail rant over G Wagens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"At almost 17ft long, the G-Wagon overhangs both ends of a normal parking space. Its width of 6ft 6in means you certainly have to be as skinny as Posh Spice if you are going to get out of one in a busy car park without leaving a giant dent in the next-door car with clearance of just eight inches to play with each side."

Nah! Just climb out the window, down the roof and bonnet of the car next door and off to do the shopping. Easy peasy.

Car parking spaces are (in most instances) too small. The guidelines that defined them were set out in the 60's before our current safety rules changed car design, and our population decided that obesity was acceptable. Now we have long doors and large people who need the full pivot of the door to get in and out of the car. Result = Ding

Car parking spaces are (in most instances) too small. The guidelines that defined them were set out in the 60's before our current safety rules changed car design, and our population decided that obesity was acceptable. Now we have long doors and large people who need the full pivot of the door to get in and out of the car. Result = Ding

There always were larger cars anyway : my 500SEL was the same size as my Fintail when both lived together on my drive .

It seems rather ironic that they point the finger at the G-wagen, which hasn't changed size for decades, and makes up a miniscule percentage compared to the glut of X5/Q7/Range Rovers. The fact that all cars are getting bigger (the current Polo is the same size as a Mk2 Golf) is deemed almost inconsequential, it's all the 4x4s fault.

Standard Daily Fail then.

Last edited:
Realistically, my G isn't any bigger than my W124.

It's just a high, slab-sided car that gives the impression of bulk

It's not the size of the parking space, it's the accepted standard of driving/parking these days that is the problem.

What a load of Bo-Locks, G-Wagans are weirdly narrow.

All cars these days are huge. has anyone seen the current Mondeo? it dwarfs my CLS.

This was on the news yesterday and car park damage cost over £1bn a year.

The DM seem to have used the figures and blamed it on 4x4s :fail

What a load of Bo-Locks, G-Wagans are weirdly narrow.

Now , THAT is a new variant on the spelling - most people assume it is something pulled behind a horse in the wild west .:D

If they want to pick on something , it should be the new monster Bentley 4x4 , or ridicule Jeremy C when he took a Humvee through some small english village :D

Bloody foreign cars coming over here and taking our spaces.

Buy British cars everyone!!!

Ah, oh, yeah, there aren't any,

Lazy lazy reporting.

A G Wagen LWB is less than 15.5 feet long. About 6 inches shorter than a Mondeo.

Around here it's VW Transporter vans, every other vehicle is one because they're trendy.

I can't say that they bother me greatly though, in fact I'd quite like one myself.

What a load of Bo-Locks, G-Wagans are weirdly narrow....

Agreed. It's not the G-wagons that are the problem.... it's all those Aventadors. :D

Where does he get that G-wagons are nearly 17ft long from? And, even if that were true, why do they have to overhang both ends of a parking space?

Where I live in Kent, the local car parks are designed around a letter rack.

It is the norm to see people straddling two bays in an attempt to avoid the inevitable dings. Cars without dings are as rare as pre-pubescent girls without prams. They are viewed as collectors items and pointed at in the street.

More worryingly is the way that the occupants of these cars disgorge themselves from them. The doors burst open in a manner that suggests that somebody tossed a live hand grenade into the cockpit. MacDonalds wrappers, bags of class A, and dirty nappies all come flying out, followed by lycra clad legs that resemble oversized hams. They have faces that look like plasterers radios. Any polite suggestion on parking etiquette is likely to be met with a thumping and then another a ding for good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom