Daily Newspaper anyone?

Do you buy a newspaper

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

Given the modern times we live in I'm curious as to who still buys a daily paper.

Mrs Ants parents are both in their 70's and I think would die if they didn't get their daily fix of tabloid gossip.

I can honestly not remember the last time we bought a paper.

Yep, without fail. 7 days a week.
I like to read paper copies as opposed to online newspapers.

I haven't bought one for more than 40yrs

I personally gave up buying a paper some 2 weeks after I bought my first iPad, about 5 years ago. Why pay out every day when all the news you need arrives over the aether, for free?

Mrs. Gaz does still buy a paper but not every day, there's certain columnists she likes to read so she only buys the paper on those days. And she always buys the Saturday edition so that she "can see what's on TV for the next week". The phrase "Electronic Programme Guide" has no place in her vocabulary :wallbash:

Two of my colleagues do buy a daily paper still, though. The MD always has the FT about his person, and one of my guys in production still buys the Wapping Liar every day..

Cheers,

Gaz

Before financial constrains lead to them being cut, I used to read a paper everyday at work in the school library. I do miss them as I become less and less impressed with the BBC news website. One aspect I find particularly irksome is that an increasing number of articles are in video format only. That effectively rules out use in a public place unless you wear headphones the whole time.

Having worked in the industry for 23 years I am surprised that we are still trading as the circulation has been in freefall for a long time.

Don't think I will see my last 17 years out with the newspaper industry.

Kenny

Last edited:
I read online, I refuse point blank to pay a penny for the lies, unpleasantness, dogmatism, voyeurism and propaganda that passes for a broadsheet, let alone the tabloids. The world has moved on from Fleet Street.

I use the interweb, it's at least 24hrs ahead of the average paper. I can then choose not to read about football.

I read online, I refuse point blank to pay a penny for the lies, unpleasantness, dogmatism, voyeurism and propaganda that passes for a broadsheet, let alone the tabloids. The world has moved on from Fleet Street.

That made me chuckle Charles. You refuse to pay for lies, unpleasantness etc etc. But you still read it online. :D

Just joking of course. I know what you mean.

In a nutshell, they're exactly the same reasons for me too.

We get free news papers 5 days a week in most big city's so why throw money at more rubbish news

Last edited:
I buy a paper Monday to Friday and read it between jobs (taxi driver), sometimes manage the whole paper, crosswords and all puzzles before the end of a long, boring shift :wallbash:

I don't buy papers unless I find myself in a nice pub around lunchtime on a weekend when I will buy the Telegraph on a Saturday or the Sunday Times, purely because a few lunchtime pints and a browse through the supplements will keep me quiet for an hour or two.

I'm very interested in what papers people read online though.

I find that my preferences are subscriber only, the Daily Mail is easy to use but effin shocking and the red tops don't have enough **** these days.

What's left?

We got rid of the local daily rag a year or two back as the price kept rising & the content falling. The in-laws send down their copies once a week but we hardly glance at them unless looking for something specific.
Still get the local rag on a Saturday & a national on a Sunday to read with a cuppa in bed!

Haven't bought a paper in years as I get all the news I need from the squintanet.

If I'm using the tube I'll read the Metro or the Standard depending on the time of day.

I remember exactly when I stop buying my morning paper - in 1996 we moved to Toronto for a couple of years, never bought a paper there, didn't bother starting again when we got back.

Evening Standard and Metro are free.... (in London).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom