Daily Newspaper anyone?

Do you buy a newspaper

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I own up to buying the Sun, not on Sunday though, so we can get my elderly mother in law to do the crossword, as she cant see, or hear very well, its quite an effort in the evenings. she looks forward to it and it keeps her brain working. Wouldn't buy one otherwise.

Only 5 out of 43 who responded buy a daily newspaper. That surprises me.

It's difficult nowadays to get unbiased reporting from any newspaper or TV news channel which is a pity. Both the BBC and Ch4 are shocking with their leftie bias.

When i started in the industry we were printing nigh on £1,000,000 Sunday papers on a Saturday night , fast forward 23 years and we are now printing around 20% of that. There are other titles that take up the slack a bit but there is no where near the throughput that there used to be.

One of the biggest financial impacts that there has been lately is the "inserting" of leaflets etc. , we spent millions on fancy inserting equipment around 12 years back but the Post Office are now handing it out with your mail rendering our machinery mostly redundant , along with the operators.

Problem for me now is to jump ship to a different employer or stay with a sinking ship and hope it doesnt go down for another ten years making me 60 with 33 years pension which would do me just nicely:dk:

Kenny

It's difficult nowadays to get unbiased reporting from any newspaper or TV news channel which is a pity. Both the BBC and Ch4 are shocking with their leftie bias.

So you watch CNN, BBC, sky, fox, euronews, CCTV, cnbc, all Jazeera, France 24 et al and make your own mind up. Plenty of news out there of all colours, you've just got to do your own editing.

Nothing is truly apolitical.

The real crime is the lack of journalistic integrity. Most just regurgitate a press release without considering, or checking, the content.

Fwiw I think euronews plays with a pretty straight bat.

As a kid of the culture of online, my entire career being internet related, I just can't have a paper, paper.

I did try once. I got one and sat reading it, but I just felt like I was reading a print out of a news article online. It wasn't being updated with new information, corrections, etc and there was no comment section to see how others of the paper's demographic are perceiving the news.

I gave it a good go, but it seemed primitive and long winded in process. I've not bothered since.

Don't panic, you can still get magazines at the library & if you have young ones it's a great afternoon out for them....

Although I take my son to the library quite regularly , I can't remember when I last borrowed a book myself ; I think latterly I used it to take out records , CD's and DVD's .

I do still have my card in my wallet though .

Returning to the OP , I will occasionally buy a paper if going on a long train journey ; for home reading we sometimes buy a couple of the Sunday heavyweights , and I do quite regularly pick up the local weekly paper for local community stuff you don't get anywhere else .

Most of my news comes from car radio , TV or the intereeb.

When she visits , my 82 year old mother in law often asks scornfully , do we NEVER buy a newspaper , to which we generally reply NO . I guess it's a generational thing .

I do feel sorry for those for whom this brings a decline in employment since , notwithstanding online publication , people not buying printed media must mean a huge decline in revenue when the vast majority ( self included ) never pay any subscription . Advertising will only cover so much - so who pays the wages of journalists and editors .

Last edited:
As a kid of the culture of online, my entire career being internet related, I just can't have a paper, paper.

I did try once. I got one and sat reading it, but I just felt like I was reading a print out of a news article online. It wasn't being updated with new information, corrections, etc and there was no comment section to see how others of the paper's demographic are perceiving the news.

I gave it a good go, but it seemed primitive and long winded in process. I've not bothered since.
At a 'motivation' conference in Toronto a few years ago, I sat through a presentation by a 'generation Y' young man about older folk interacting with his age group, advocating being paper- and pen-less, and taking the proverbial out of baby boomers with several pens in their pockets.

At the meet the speaker session afterwards, one of my colleagues asked him for his autograph..........

There's no reason not to have a pen if you think you're going to need one... I think that's just daft.

Why have none of the readers of free online newspapers disclosed which ones they read?

There's no reason not to have a pen if you think you're going to need one... I think that's just daft.

On that note it'd be interesting to see who actually writes (pen & paper) lots on a day to day basis.

My actual writing is now reduced to birthday/Xmas cards to my wife.

However, as a joiner/builder I have a pencil behind my ear more often than not. Even by habit I've been known to pop one there on my way out of the house when going out for a nice meal with my girls. :doh:

In my little software development office, we've 21 screens, including 4 50 inch 4K screens, showing all kinds of information and metrics. We've also got notepads on our desks and 4 massive whiteboards and more whiteboard markers than screens!

There's a time and a place for pen and paper, and years gone by it was "almost always and almost everywhere" as the alternative was either non-existent, or primitive. Now it's just in the places they're actually still more useful than technology.

As a hobbyist woodworker, I like a marking knife rather than a pencil, but that's because we can take all the time in the world and try our best with accuracy to try not to fcuk it up. :doh: :D

Been reading The Sun for nearly 40 yrs, buying it for 25 years.Wanted to ditch it this year as it promotes hate speech columnists - but sadly i'm stuck with it as my autistic son reads it also and doesn't like change due to his condition.

I commute into London 3 days per week from darkest Surrey.

Almost without exception the only flattened out dead trees I ever see are the free press offerings.

Locally even the free sheets have vanished, replaced by online only. The business model is clickbait, not circulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom