Damaged c55 amg hpi clear bargin £9650 ono (2006)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm Not sure how much or a bargain if fixed using genuine parts etc.

We had a little A class and the front door was hit in a carpark mercedes were going to swap the door and respray etc it was over £1500.

That C class looks like a lot more damage and what about any airbags?

Millage seems low for a 2006 car also? maybe a third or weekend car I guess?

Maybe someone could make it a bargain but I'm not sure

I guess if the quarter panel is not badly damaged then that will bring your costs down. I know the front wings are unique to the 55 but I guess you could use s/h doors and maybe get lucky with the colour.:dk:

I wouldn't touch that, you never know any twist in the chassis and the car will never be right again and in a car that fast, no thanks.

What a shame though!! :(

Hi there!

Mr bbw_babe here!

I used to own a salvage company, so I have some expert(?) knowledge in this field.

Most of my stock was bought on-line, looking at pictures just like these, so I quickly learn't what to expect when the car arrived after I had purchased it.

With this example, I would expect the A and B pillars to be damaged, and the wheel arch inner on the C pillar also. I would expect the inner and outer cill to be damaged, and possibly a little floor damage too. I would almost guarantee that there would be a dent in the roof above the B pillar. The air-bags in the doors and pillar would probably have detonated.
Repair wise, The A pillar will pull/fill, the B pillar I would replace, C pillar repair. Doors are obviously scrap, but FULL of donor parts. Repair to the inner cill, probably, replace outer cill. Pull/repair to the floor. 'Blind' pull to the roof, and fill. If you couldn't find a front wing, that could probably be repaired. Paint wise, you would probably get away with just the side, but silver is problematic sometimes.

With regard to BenzedUp, believe it or not ALL of the damage is actually 'cosmetic' in this example; NONE of the damage that is VISIBLE from the pictures that we have access to would affect how the car would drive or handle, even in the damaged state that it is in. It WILL repair, definitely, but if you ask me if it is a VIABLE repair cost wise, then how long is a piece of string..... One thing I will guarantee though, is that there will be surprises along the way during the repair, there always is....... Sometimes good ones, sometimes bad ones!!!

If its that easy why is the garage itself not fixing it up and making a bigger profit?

Especially as you say its just cosmentic.

Out of interest what are the margins on salvage like - are cars like this ridiculously cheap at auction??

If its that easy why is the garage itself not fixing it up and making a bigger profit?

Especially as you say its just cosmentic.

Out of interest what are the margins on salvage like - are cars like this ridiculously cheap at auction??

I repaired maybe 1% of the cars that I purchased; I used to make enough out of the vehicles by re-presenting them in a saleable manner.... It seemed strange at the time, polishing, valeting and buffing damaged cars but it worked for me! I am not aware of the company that is selling this example, so I couldn't comment on their business profile.

Margins? Difficult question to answer. As I previously stated, most of my stock was bought on line, via a brief description and a few blurred photos.... Sometimes, I got the pricing wrong, ie there was more damage than anticipated, which reduced my expected 'retail' price which ate into my margins, but sometimes I got genuine bargains.
Sometimes I lost money on cars, sometimes I made several thousand. I suppose if I had to put a figure on it, it would be something like 25-30% profit, on average over the year.

bbw_babe is right on the money here guys:thumb:, this car is not big damage, wouldn't worry about this one at all:thumb:, I have a salvage licence and I've had everything from flood damaged to a Porsche 997 4S that had barrel roled down a field with the driver air lifted to hospital:eek:, they all have surprises along the way but all are repairable, the Porsche was the hardest and cost me money because I held on to it throught summer when I should have taken a profitable offer when I finished the repair, I had to repair/replace every panel including the roof on that car:doh:, I purchased it after looking at photo's even though it looked like a football, still can't believe I did it really but it's amazing what you can get second hand and ebay etc!!!!
I bet bbw_babe has some stories to tell as I haven't even got started and I did it for a hobby!!!!!:D
At the moment I'm considering a red 997 4S cab 2007 21k miles, £55k car, current bids are £20k as a CAT C flood, not sure if engine is okay so think I'm going to leave it as I just don't have the time at the moment to go and view.
The reason for this pursuit is that I like to try many prestige cars without depreciation, this has worked for me for 20 years as a hobby:cool:.
smoke damage, fire damage, front end, rear end, flood damage, it's great fun if the buy price is right and you have the time, space and enthusiasm:thumb:.

Last edited:
Hi dvb,

Mr here again.

Yes, I have countless stories..... Some really bad financially, some good financially, some sad emotionally and some good emotionally!

I never liked the flood damaged stuff, and I would avoid it like the plague..... WAY too many unseen problems, and the healt issues are endless.... I once walked upto a seeming undamaged car at an auction, and opened the door to be greated by about ten zillion flies..... Goodness knows what it had been flooded with!
Same to some degree with the fire-damage examples. Its amazing how far heat travels down wiring looms..... Again, there are health issues with certain plastics and rubbers used in cars that give off nasty chemials when they have been on fire. Blood..... wow, thats REALLY nasty stuff when it dries!

Body parts, (teeth, bottom jaw, LOTS of blood, hair/scalp stick in laminated windcreens; think about it, your head hits the screen, the glass breaks, and opens up as you go forward. Gravity takes hold, and you stop and start to reverse; Glass 'nips' and pulls chunks out of your face.... Hence why I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt now!) sex toys, worn 'clothes', perfect 'kisses' from lipstick on airbags, you name it I have seen it!

It was a giggle though, and very profitable UNTIL a company called copart appeared..... Took all the fun and the profit out of the job. I got out in 2004, and I am back in my original employment as a mechanical engineer. Similar kind of pay, 100% less stress, but not as much fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom