Damaged Paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liono

Car
E350 Coupe
So noticed some bird crap on my bonnet yesterday afternoon, tool it to the local hand carwash after work then noticed this this morning!!!! So my question is do people think this is repairable myself or should I just pay for a professional to do it, bearing in mind I don't have much experience of paintwork repair?
8cb97031ec9840c1c2091a852ad798aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pro . + a visit to said carwash and see if they used a pressure washer on it .

Is that where the bird poo was? Looks like they got in closer and closer to remove it, but did such a thorough job that the removed the lacquer with it. That's a job for a professional bodyshop.

Is that where the bird poo was? Looks like they got in closer and closer to remove it, but did such a thorough job that the removed the lacquer with it. That's a job for a professional bodyshop.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking has happened tbh

For a temp. diy repair you could clean it off with meths then apply clear-coat. The easiest stuff to work with is the water based stuff Toyota supply with their touch up kits.

I don’t think a pressure washer can do that?

I know I shouldn’t but I’m had pressure washers millimetres off the paint and no damage at all has happened??

How old is the car??

So noticed some bird crap on my bonnet yesterday afternoon, tool it to the local hand carwash after work then noticed this this morning!!!! So my question is do people think this is repairable myself or should I just pay for a professional to do it, bearing in mind I don't have much experience of paintwork repair?

I'm no Paint Expert but the damage looks more like Acid/Chemical to me, if it was a Bird's Dropping I would expect to t see the Bird's body close by! :eek:

Could be that the bird poo stuck to the clear-coat, softened it, and the lot came off together. (?)

Bird poo will etch into the clear coat but not that quickly. I would have thought it would need to have been there for weeks to do that amount of damage. I've never seen it harm the finish when it's removed within a day.

I think they may have scraped it off somehow. Bird poo can become very hard and the temptation is to scrape it off quickly, though the right way is to slowly disolve it.

But to be fair to the car wash, if the bonnet has been resprayed at some point in the past and the body shop did a slopy preparation job, then you might get that sort of peeling when the area is subject to close scrutiny using strong jetwash applied at point blanc.

Can anyone recommend bodyshop in the Darlington/Boro/Teeside area?

What about chips away? Quality is dependent on franchisee though.

But the training they give is good. Try local indie, see who he uses. Sometimes you can get an ex chips away trained guy who has given up franchise and gone on his own, he has had the training and the experience.

What about chips away? Quality is dependent on franchisee though.

But the training they give is good. Try local indie, see who he uses. Sometimes you can get an ex chips away trained guy who has given up franchise and gone on his own, he has had the training and the experience.
Will probably give them a call and see what they say tbh

The bonnet will need to be resprayed in a controlled environment, ie a bodyshop.
A large flat surface such as a bonnet is not suitable for a mobile repair.

Not a criticism mercy me but why? Curious to know!

Can anyone recommend bodyshop in the Darlington/Boro/Teeside area?

I have just the person who can sort the paint problem without too much trouble.
Send me a message and I will put you in touch with the person.
He has done work on my 911, Range Rover and Mini.
Each job has been 1st class.

I have just the person who can sort the paint problem without too much trouble.
Send me a message and I will put you in touch with the person.
He has done work on my 911, Range Rover and Mini.
Each job has been 1st class.
Can't PM as I'm a new member [emoji53]

I sometimes wonder why we even take the time to offer help to those who ask for it?

I offer a solution to the problem but he can't even have the decency to reply even on here!

I sometimes wonder why we even take the time to offer help to those who ask for it?

I offer a solution to the problem but he can't even have the decency to reply even on here!
Apologies, but my job means I don't have my phone 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom