Dartford Bridge Closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vilus

SUPPORTER
Car
BMW M340i
The Dartford Crossing bridge has been closed since about 11am after a poor disturbed individual pulled up at the highest point and climbed over the safety barriers. After four hours with Police negotiators they actually jumped, and were taken to hospital after being rescued by waiting lifeboats.

I have the deepest sympathy for those involved, but why is one of the busiest traffic bottlenecks in the country still closed and will remain so for many hours for ' an investigation' . The incident is now over, and I would have thought the priority would be to get the traffic moving? Does anyone here understand why hours of road closure are necessary?

That's some way down !

Did he survive ?

Agree with the sentiments and suffer from the same constant delays. Local MP's have previously campaigned to have the barriers lifted at peak times and those of high congestion. Unfortunately (for us) money continues to talk and the crossing a huge cash cow.

Local MP's have previously campaigned to have the barriers lifted at peak times

Is that so jumpers can just walk off the edge and not have to climb over any barriers?

Could be good for reducing population overcrowding in the South East.

Some years ago police forces jointly decided that crash scenes will be investigated in the same way as any other crime scene, rather then just clearing the debris and getting traffic moving again as soon as possible, and since then we have these long road closures after a crash while forensic officers take photos and measurements and collect other findings. I am assuming the same applies in this case.

To be fair I can understand that it may be difficult for prosecutors to secure conviction when defendants' lawyers can dispute evidence based on the claim that these were not collected according to standards we would normally expect in other criminal cases.

I think it is about 200 feet to the water from there,when I worked at Lakeside Shopping Centre in 1991 when the bridge was opened the police did a test with a bag of cement,it split wide open,a simulation they said to a body hitting the water from there.

If the person has jumped, no others on CCTV showing up as heaving them over the parapet, just open the road and be done with it

Sadly it will be another tragic suicide - nothing to see, move along please.

I think it is about 200 feet to the water from there,when I worked at Lakeside Shopping Centre in 1991 when the bridge was opened the police did a test with a bag of cement,it split wide open,a simulation they said to a body hitting the water from there.

I just spoke with London coastguard , as far as they are aware , no one has ever survived a jump from the QE2 bridge.

The Dartford Crossing bridge has been closed since about 11am after a poor disturbed individual pulled up at the highest point and climbed over the safety barriers. After four hours with Police negotiators they actually jumped, and were taken to hospital after being rescued by waiting lifeboats.

I have the deepest sympathy for those involved, but why is one of the busiest traffic bottlenecks in the country still closed and will remain so for many hours for ' an investigation' . The incident is now over, and I would have thought the priority would be to get the traffic moving? Does anyone here understand why hours of road closure are necessary?

He's brown bread:

Man dies after plunging into River Thames from Dartford Crossing after four hours of police negotiation (From This Is Local London)

If the person has jumped, no others on CCTV showing up as heaving them over the parapet, just open the road and be done with it

Sadly it will be another tragic suicide - nothing to see, move along please.

The fact is the Police closed the bridge, and trained negotiators were there for four hours before the sad ending with the chap jumping. I'm sure it's all been recorded with dozens of Police witnesses. Incident over, no more danger to life etc, let's get the thousands caught up on the M25 moving and home on mothers day!

Markjay's post explains the legal reasons, but where is the COMMON SENSE in this country?

To be fair I can understand that it may be difficult for prosecutors to secure conviction when defendants' lawyers can dispute evidence based on the claim that these were not collected according to standards we would normally expect in other criminal cases.

I love lawyers.

Unfortunate situation. Was an absolute nightmare today, I dropped a friend at Gatwick which was meant to take 1hr15mins from Essex...but it took 3 and a half hours and made check in with 8minutes to spare! Backed up 3 junctions, saw 2 people done for using the hard shoulder as their personal lane and a Transit van bump into the back of a 62-plate Maserati, so that kept us entertained for a while but what I resent is still paying the £2 at the end of it all. But saying that, all the congestion was because of us all bottle necking into the one tunnel, at the end of the tunnel it opened up to all the barriers which were perfectly clear.

Last edited:
Apparently there are contingency plans for emergencies, but the jams have to be 12 miles long before the barriers can be lifted. Thats J28 on the Essex side and J4 on the Kent side. However it is reported that this is rarely done. Another broken promise from the Government who promised a free crossing once the bridge was paid for. Now we have to start paying for the next Thames crossing wherever that may be? I doubt I'll be around to see it, and I ain't that old!

Vilus said:
Apparently there are contingency plans for emergencies, but the jams have to be 12 miles long before the barriers can be lifted. Thats J28 on the Essex side and J4 on the Kent side. However it is reported that this is rarely done. Another broken promise from the Government who promised a free crossing once the bridge was paid for. Now we have to start paying for the next Thames crossing wherever that may be? I doubt I'll be around to see it, and I ain't that old!

Once the Crossing was paid for (by us) it was sold to a private company (after the charging scheme company went into liquidation!) who unfortunately, are quite within their rights to do what they want with regards to charges. Balfour Beatty, Skanska, Egis plus one other infrastructure firm which I can't remember off the top of my head now make up the contractor group.

Last edited:
This is grossly unfair on local residents who for years have been suffering from massive pollution due to queues of cars (and lorries) idling at the barriers.

Oh yeah, and in October next year the charge is going up to £2.50 BUT a scheme is being introduced which will remove the barriers and make the Crossing automated. It will massively reduce congestion and slowing down from 40 to a stop, then back up to 70 again. You will need to register your vehicle to cross and if you don't.... cha-ching!... you'll be getting a good old fine through the post. We will never win!

Last edited:
it makes me come over all Vogon
bloody apathetic southerners

you create all the wealth in the country
and get ripped off by people wanting even more of the stuff.

block the bridge , stop others from using the bridge. make the economic damage of the blocked crossing unacceptable. make it cheaper for the government to open it and keep it open without charge or congestion.

get yourselves organised and take an interest. fgs.

**goes off to write bad poetry**

block the bridge , stop others from using the bridge. make the economic damage of the blocked crossing unacceptable. make it cheaper for the government to open it and keep it open without charge or congestion.
That's basically the approach that led to motorcycles being toll-free at the crossing.

It was amazing how long it took to pull up at the toll booth, dismount the motorcycle, remove gloves, partially undress to retrieve money from inside pocket (never the correct amount), pay, receive change, put change in inside pocket, re-fasten all garments, put on gloves, smile pleasantly at long queue of vehicles behind motorcycle, re-mount motorcycle, start up and continue :D

If all car drivers stopped using the automatic coin machines and used the manned booths instead, the toll would have ceased long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom