De-chroming my E63, how far to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cfoster

Car
W212 E350, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, W201 190e, 2019 Volvo V90 R Design, Mk5 Golf Gti
As above i've never really been a real fan of chrome around windows so dechromed the surrounds this morning on my E63. Really happy with it but not sure if anything else on the car needs to be black? Perhaps the chrome strip on the tailgate and maybe the lower front centre valance and inserts on the sideskirts? What do you think?

Before....

Attachments

• IMG_6316.JPG
    IMG_6316.JPG
    961.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6315.JPG
    IMG_6315.JPG
    967.4 KB · Views: 63
After....

Attachments

• IMG_6321.JPG
    IMG_6321.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6322.JPG
    IMG_6322.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6323.JPG
    IMG_6323.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 67
Looks great good job :thumb:

I have never been much of a fan of chrome either.

I pondered long and hard on this...and eventually left it alone. Laziness really I’m not a chrome fan either.
How did you do it, take the strips out and the chrome off/fit back on- or was it a wrap process (not too easy to see on the pics

Same as me usually i'd rather sit on my backside in front of the TV but off work this week so thought i'd make use of time!!

I didn't take them off, no need to. Used proper 1080 series 3M wrap vinyl, took about 5 mins per lower part and about 15 mins for the long one over the top!

Great job and on your body colour could do more. I like it as it is though, it lifts the look of the car without going too far. Worse case with wrap you can quickly reverse it.

I am pondering this for mine, exactly as you have done.

Jules

The inserts on the sills in black (as per the Night Package) make quite a difference to the side-on look of the car. The mirror pods too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive just been playing as it goes and I may do the sills on the sideskirts, also the rear boot strip thing and the chrome bits on the door handles. Looked at the roof rails but they would need removing, if they are anything like Audi Avant roofrails i'll leave them!!

Finally finished off the old station hack as well (apart from the mirrors!). Very productive day!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6310.JPG
    IMG_6310.JPG
    832.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 20
Definitely do the other bits. The car looks so much more subtly aggressive being 'dechromed'. it's the first thing I do when buying my cars.

Great job and on your body colour could do more. I like it as it is though, it lifts the look of the car without going too far. Worse case with wrap you can quickly reverse it.

I am pondering this for mine, exactly as you have done.

Jules

Jules....ponder no more JFDI! :D

Abb - your ML looks awesome in your sig at the side, is that a factory ML350 with some nice wheels or does it have a different rear bumper? Will be buying the missus one of these in the coming months....

Thank you very much. It began as a fully loaded ML350 in sport guise and I went down the slippery slope of doing a 63 body conversion. Here's the thread:

ML 350 (W166) so far

It's actually the bosses car. Owned it for a couple of years now and it's been a cracking all round family wagon. Very recently had it mapped by John at Big Fish Tuning too :)

Looks great mate, I was looking for a white one for the missus but the black looks awesome with the 'blackness' splashed all over it!!

What are the running costs of the 350 like as I was originally looking for a 250? She currently uses a 2008 C220 CDi sport as her daily but she wants something bigger (car that is lol!!)

Damn you all! Now I’m thinking again which can be dangerous ....

Looks great mate, I was looking for a white one for the missus but the black looks awesome with the 'blackness' splashed all over it!!

What are the running costs of the 350 like as I was originally looking for a 250? She currently uses a 2008 C220 CDi sport as her daily but she wants something bigger (car that is lol!!)

In real life terms, around the doors (which is what it does mostly) it gets around mid 20's and the dizzy heights of very early 30's on a steady run. TBH I thought it would have been a little better on a run but it is a heavy lump to move about. It took a while to find one with some options, as they really are basic as standard.

I have seen they are fairly 'poverty spec' from factory. All she wants is heated seats, sat nav, reversing camera (which I imagine I can retro fit) and the powered tailgate, she'd also like the 360 camera and park assist but not overly fussed. Going to hopefully get before Xmas and try and get a bargain!!

looks good, something I was planning to do as well, been a bit tied up with other stuff!

I personally love chrome, it gives a car a classy look. But some cars dechromed look great.

Reactions: Abb
Well i've just ordered some additional vinyl so will carry on when it arrives in the morning!

If anyone wants their windows de-chroming feel free to PM me! (I am a signwriter by trade!)

Well just did the sideskirt inserts and very pleased how they came, then did the back chrome panel and not so sure if I like it being black? It sort of stands out a bit too much? What ya think? Maybe with black badges it might look better?

Attachments

• IMG_6338.JPG
    IMG_6338.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6337.JPG
    IMG_6337.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6335.JPG
    IMG_6335.JPG