dealer discounts from buying new..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ironsheik

Car
W204 C200CDI SPORT.
Friends and family always tell me, when buying a car from a dealership, haggle with them so you get around 10% of the asking price.... In the end they want to make the sale, so most of the time they will accept it..

just curious how many of you guys have had a good discount from the dealers and how much you saved on the asking price?

Got 13.5% discount on my E350 Cab last December, previous December got 25% discount on the GL350 with a bit of haggling. If you're wanting to buy from a preferred dealership then it's usually a good sighter to contact a broker to see what price they can get the car for then go to your dealer and see what they can do, like you've said they will want to make the sale because they will end up with the potential revenue from servicing and repeat sales.

14% offered off a new E Class estate last month.

Wow.. I agree Dieselman...

then again, is it possible that the more expensive the car, the more discount you can get?

I found most dealers and salesmen uncooperative when discussing discounts. Always have done. I also intensely dislike the hour to two hours of sitting in the showrooms going through the act of "sales".

So I generally go to Drive the Deal or similar sites, get a deal price then see if any dealer will match it. So far not a single dealer has been able to/wanted to match the DTD price I've found.

Discounts of 14% & 25% etc will be on specific cars the dealership wants to shift, generally from stock, to hit targets. More than likely models of high value, uneconomical running or high depreciation (the GL is a perfect example of all these).

It's good to shop near the quarter end dates, 30th September, 31st December, 31st March, 30th June. The dealer is more likely to move a vehcile at cost or even less than cost to hit target numbers.

Be less choosy with colour, detail and specific specification - ask the dealer what they have available at a discount. If you go in with a strict list it will be a factory order and priced accordingly.

Last edited:
It also depends on the car, some have far more play in them than others.

More than likely models of high value, uneconomical running or high depreciation (the GL is a perfect example of all these).

Don't think that applied on mine as it was the '10 MY facelift not the one that had been sat around since '06. The discount has negated the depreciation, have spoken with my local dealership regarding a trade in against a new ML out of curiosity to see what they would be willing to do and the ballpark figure isn't that bad haven't lost a great deal at all on it to say it's nearly 2 years old, obviously if I'd paid the full invoice price with no discount I'd be gutted right now but waiting out on the new GL..... just not sure about the way the new ML looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom