Dealer lies? - First aid kit not standard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blacklight124

Car
C180 SE Exec w COMAND
Hey, not sure this is in the right place...

Anyways, I just got my 2010 C180 a week or so ago and Ive been poking about with it and been all over this forum. I was looking for info on where to find the first aid kit in the car and discovered that there isnt one where there should be or anywhere in the car so I took it back to the dealer with a few other points too (which you all might be interested in...)

So here's what the service manager had to say:

First aid kit missing - "They dont come as standard anymore, not for 8-9 years. If the previous owner removed it, we dont replace it. They even send some brand new without a first aid kit" - Does that sound right? Any way I can go back to her on this?

Car pulling to the left - "All mercedes do this a certain amount, its to be expected!" - Whaa?? - She will look at the tracking for me though.

SatNav maps (COMAND) not been updated since manufacture. - "They should be done every service. It will take 3 hours to download and install" - Now I know the 2010 comes on DVD from reading here - but I also know I should probably pay for the maps - so i'll keep my mouth shut on this one!

Whats your thoughts everyone? Does that all sound right cos I feel like she was fobbing me off a bit.

Thanks

Our CLK and SLK both came with a first aid kit - 2003 and 2005. I think if the previous owner did remove it then they are not obliged to replace it.
A slight pull to the left on some surfaces is pretty common but it should not be there all the time and certainly not on a motorway or fast dual carriageway.
If it has DVD based comand then the updates are down to you - in other words buy the latest disc. The hard drive versions do take 3 hours or more to download.
Hope that helps.

Cheers. Yeah they say they'll update the maps so I'll see if that actually happens. Fingers crossed.

Shame about the first aid kit.

They'll also check the tracking when its in for the maps on wednesday so Ill update here if they do sort it. Thanks

IRRC first aid kits are a legal requirement in many European countries- they were in Germany way back in the early 90's . I certainly had one in my new C class estate 2012
part no A1698600150 FIRST AID BOX price £76 from Inschcape meets (DIN13164 Specification)

"They don't come a standard" is not true--- they do. Its been nicked at some time .

Nowadays people in all walks of life will look you straight in the eye and lie to your face [ deliberately or through ignorance] ----get used to it.

Several organisations offer similar first aid kits for European motoring. I believe you can get fined in some countries without one. e.g. DIN Standard European Motoring First Aid Kit

For folks with older cars I have a feeling they have an expiry date on them also

Last edited:
IRRC first aid kits are a legal requirement in many European countries- they were in Germany way back in the early 90's . I certainly had one in my new C class estate 2012
part no A1698600150 FIRST AID BOX price £76 from Inschcape

"They don't come a standard" is not true--- they do. Its been nicked at some time .

Nowadays people in all walks of life will look you straight in the eye and lie to your face [ deliberately or through ignorance] ----get used to it.

Several organisations offer similar first aid kits for European motoring. I believe you can get fined without one. e.g. DIN Standard European Motoring First Aid Kit

So you reckon they're still under no obligation to replace it though? Yeah the previous owner must have just kept it I think.

The dealer will be under no obligation to replace something that has gone walkies.

They are not a requirement here in the UK so I doubt they will be keen to replace it. I think in Germany they have to be replaced every so often so plenty come up on german ebay if you want an MB one.

They are not a requirement here in the UK so I doubt they will be keen to replace it. I think in Germany they have to be replaced every so often so plenty come up on german ebay if you want an MB one.

I think I might be lucky actually as my partner's mum has just got a new merc and she thinks she kept the kit from that one so Ill just pinch that. Its not a major issue, never needed one before, (touch wood!) I just wanted to milk the dealer for all I can really :)

Thanks

I've never opened the first aid kit in my car. I think you're supposed to replace them every few years anyway.

A lot depends on price paid for the car - if spending £10K upwards Id expect all original accessories ; if a £500 runaround , obviously not .

If you had spotted it before doing the deal , you could have made it a condition of purchase .

I tend to refill mine every few years with new contents from a kit like the one Graeme listed , bought from Halfords , Boots or wherever , but I put all the stuff into the M-B pouch to keep it looking original .

First aid kit missing - "They dont come as standard anymore, not for 8-9 years.
BS. Three cars purchased new by me: 2008 W204, 2009 R171 and 2011 W212 all came with first-aid kits. I did wonder whether this was because the W204 and W212 were both factory collection (hence first driven in Germany where a first-aid kit is mandatory), but the R171 was supplied from UK dealer stock, so that blows that idea out the water.
If the previous owner removed it, we dont replace it.
That's what I'd expect.

Is the COMAND not HDD? My 2010 is and it came with free map updates for 3 years. It does allegedly take quite a while to update.

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom