Dealership Servicing - Beware!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian1676

Car
2008 CLS320 CDi Obsidian Black/Basalt Grey Leather/Silk Burr Walnut
A word of warning for members taking their car to an MB dealership for a service!!

Despite having a full MB service which stated the air filters had been changed at 28495 miles (June 2010) and 70435 miles (August 2014). I have just had it serviced by a trusted mechanic for the first time since the "Approved Used" the warranty run out. The air filters were absolutely full of crap. On looking at the printed serial numbers etc on the side of the filter it confirmed it was indeed a genuine MB part with a manufacture date of November 2007.....my car was registered in April 2008! I know they are a bit awkward to get to either side of the OM642 engine but clearly this was too much trouble for an MB dealer and they haven't been touched since the car was built!

The services above were at two different MB dealers - one in Scotland and one north of London (where the previous owners lived) - I believe that MB practice for small scope and large scope service is the same - it can be summarised as follows:

1) drive customer car to car wash bay 2) have underpaid car wash staff wash vehicle poorly using corrosive chemicals 3) reset service indicator 4) call customer and try to convince them to do lots of un-necessary work like changing tyres that still have 4mm plus tread on them/or brake discs and pads that are no where near worn out 5) let customer wait whilst the car is eventually driven back round from the "workshop" 6) charge the customer several hundred quid for the pleasure!

I have made sure it has now had a proper service, all filters, oil (including the gearbox) - IF I ever use a dealer again (and the only time I would go anywhere near one is to maintain a warranty!) I will ask to see some proof that they have actually changed things like the air filters etc!!

Anyone else had the same sort of issues?

Interesting post. I recently purchased a used W204 C Class 220cdi estate from a Main Dealer which came serviced and with a 12 month warranty.

I have done around 1500 miles since buying it and checked the oil level this morning. Jet black and low on the dipstick so currently going through paperwork before a call in the morning.

I have also noticed a slight "whining" with the steering so booked it in with the Local Main Dealer. First available appointment next Tuesday week. Must be all those free health checks they are currently offering?

^Diesel oil is jet black as soon as the engine is run after an oil change but it shouldn't be low after only 1500 miles.

What procedures could we put in place to prevent it though,

When dropping the car off at the Stealer do we mention to the guy on key handover that we have checked serial codes to ensure fresh parts are replaced? Ask for photos of old parts and new parts put in place?

If you don't trust a dealership, you shouldn't get your car serviced there. Simples.

When dropping the car off at the Stealer do we mention to the guy on key handover that we have checked serial codes to ensure fresh parts are replaced? Ask for photos of old parts and new parts put in place?

Ask to see the old parts - no reason why they can't keep hold of the air filters etc. Also, don't some MB dealers do a video report on the service now to show you the issues - well that's what I saw in this months Top Gear magazine where they're running a C63AMG (they must hate that as they'll have to actually service your car and prove that something worn out/broken before charging an inflated amount to replace it!!). My local garage always keeps the parts they change to show why they've changed them.

If you don't trust a dealership, you shouldn't get your car serviced there. Simples.

I had to to keep the "Approved Used" warranty valid - different to a manufacturers warranty on a new car where EU law says you can get anyone to service it so long as you comply with the service schedule and use genuine parts - the approved used warranty is underwritten my Mondial and you have to use an MB dealer for servicing. As soon as it was out of warranty it went to a proper garage!! I would never use an MB dealer unless I had to - I haven't found one yet that even gets close to being competent - they're all shocking!!

Ask to see the old parts - no reason why they can't keep hold of the air filters etc. Also, don't some MB dealers do a video report on the service now to show you the issues - well that's what I saw in this months Top Gear magazine where they're running a C63AMG (they must hate that as they'll have to actually service your car and prove that something worn out/broken before charging an inflated amount to replace it!!). My local garage always keeps the parts they change to show why they've changed them.

Any dealership will have lots of old parts from the same or a similar model as your own which they could use to fob you off with.

Is there any paperwork to support the services in question?

It does seem a bit odd that 2 unconnected dealers would omit to replace the filters on the same car, unless it was endemic at both dealerships. Clearly it would seem that it was the original filters; if it was only serviced at one dealer, of had the same owner, that might more easily explain it.

We all know about 'made up histories', but the number of dealers and owners concerned would seem to reduce the chances of it being that.

That's shocking, you would like to think a main dealer would chane something simple as the air filters. Filters can get very dirty very quickly, could be old stock?

wongl said:

Don't trust anything in life is the best advice I was given, it pays to be cautious

I don't trust females driving (incredibly sexist I know, but blame experience) Don't trust planes, I don't trust the lovely lady in the chippy to put enough salt and vinegar on my fish & chips!

Doesn't mean I have to not use them

Is there any paperwork to support the services in question?

It does seem a bit odd that 2 unconnected dealers would omit to replace the filters on the same car, unless it was endemic at both dealerships.

Wasn't there someone on here who knew an MB mechanic who had a shed full of air filters that hadn't been fitted at services?

I had similar experience with MB Stratford a few years ago. Oil level was lower then when it went in. Fluid levels not topped up, tyre pressures uneven, air filter not changed and vehicle returned to me at my office filthy. Needless to say I refused to pay. After much arguing with the service manager the vehicle was picked up by one the directors and "re-serviced" for free. That time everything had been done correctly and not only was I not charged they did a full valet. I still approach all main dealer service departments with caution. My indie on the other hand I trust implicitly as its his business and his livelihood depends on repeat business

My Dad is a cynical fellow and used to mark everything that should be replaced when he got a car serviced....on the odd occasion he didn't service his cars himself

Not surprised.

I used to know someone who worked at VW.

I was chatting to him one day at lunchtime and he was servicing a car.

He was about to change the air filters and laughed saying "pah, I can't be bothered" and didn't do it.

I suppose main dealers hide behind the apparent grandeur of a "main dealership" but in reality I wonder how skilled and well paid their servicing technicians are. All the skilled ones seem to leave and start up their own indes.

Personally, I would rate a good inde much higher as they care about their reputation.

If you have to use a dealer - get a good one on word of mouth or check some of the stuff that should have been done. If not done, present the car to the servicing dealer and kick up a stink.

Been there done that. Multiple times main dealer reports filters, ATF has been changed etc when it hasn't. When I bought an approved used car the service dept internally invoiced sales for work not actually done. Only ever use PCS. I trust them implicitly.

Pollen filters on focuses are awkward -every ford 'technician' has a stock in his toolbox - checks them out of stores so customer gets charged and goes straight to toolbox. In my experience Mercedes are even worse - appalling set of shysters

Heard a similar story from my Independant, I told him about an exessive bill I had recived from the Audi dealership in Canary Wharf for a minor service on my then A4 turbo!

After arguing with the salesman I paid and left only to discover that they hadn't even bothered to stamp the service book :doh: Got straight onto Audi customer service and complained, I recieved a partial refund and an apology within 2 days!

My mechanic said that one of his customers had his Audi serviced by a main dealer for 4-5 years, he took his car to him to check something that he was not happy with! He said the oil was black and had obviously not been changed for many moons, they pretty much did nothing to the car :fail

It's not just Mercedes, by all accounts the level of service effectively hinges on who is running the dealership! There should be a league table so customers can pick the most reliable dealer that provides the best service!

Gosh this is worrying. Glad I'm moving to independent network now the car is 6y old.

In the past I would say the car drives slightly differently after oil change (engine and transmission). Filters however, you cannot tell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom